Can i do this? Cloning/Imaging

desidud

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Hello,

I have my Windows XP installed in C:/ drive. Drive D, E, F used for storage. C drive containing all my softwares which are updated till date.

Now in case something goes wrong and i have no other option so i format and reinstall the OS. This is fine, but after installing OS i have to sit whole day installing the softwares, doing updates. This process is very time taking.

Is there anyway (maybe using drive/disk cloning/imaging) to get the freshly installed OS be overwitten by previous OS image which have my sofwares, licensing, updates. Same new C drive changes to the state it was before formatting when my system was working all ok.

Windows Backup does the same thing? Create a backup of my C drive and have the image stored in external HDD then restore the image.

Regards,
dd.

Solution
Yes, you can use Windows Backup to back-up parts of it, then restore it after re-installing Windows and re-installing your drivers.

It works because it backs up the Registry and other vital system areas too.

You could also roll your own:
- Make a 'perfect' Windows system with everything you need (not want).
- Use Clonezilla to make a compressed image of it
- When something goes wrong restore the compressed image, it will take 3 minutes instead of 3 hours, or more, of screwing around.

I'd suggest keeping it minimal:
- .NET Frameworks
- Drivers for audio, video, LAN, etc.
- Microsoft Office 2007/2010
- Windows 7 of choice
- etc.

It's so much easier than the manual way of doing stuff....
- http://clonezilla.org/

Scott_D_Bowen

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Yes, you can use Windows Backup to back-up parts of it, then restore it after re-installing Windows and re-installing your drivers.

It works because it backs up the Registry and other vital system areas too.

You could also roll your own:
- Make a 'perfect' Windows system with everything you need (not want).
- Use Clonezilla to make a compressed image of it
- When something goes wrong restore the compressed image, it will take 3 minutes instead of 3 hours, or more, of screwing around.

I'd suggest keeping it minimal:
- .NET Frameworks
- Drivers for audio, video, LAN, etc.
- Microsoft Office 2007/2010
- Windows 7 of choice
- etc.

It's so much easier than the manual way of doing stuff....
- http://clonezilla.org/

Solution

desidud

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Thank you for your valuable input.

So from what i understand, i have to re-install windows and all the necessary drivers and then i can restore the backup i made using Windows Backup tool. Am i correct?

I can use the image of disk/drive made using clonezilla after i re-install the OS or i need to have existing OS which is screwed but somehow able to boot?

My problem is that i have loads of software which i need to install and which also needs to updated and those update size can go upto 300MB and i dont have high speed internet connection :( and i do mess up my system quite often due to my constant tesing of stuffs :D

The OP can image his drive and restore it at any tiime and it will work perfectly as long as he doesn't change the motherboard between backing up and restoring.

@OP: Get some backup software that can do drive images. A drive image will restore an exact copy of the drive you imaged, windows and all. See the note above regarding the motherboard.