Sign in with
Your question

Crappy BFG card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 17, 2010 4:35:57 AM

About 6 months back I purchased a pair of GTX 285 OCE cards from BFG Tech. I had to hold off on finishing my new PC rig due to monetary issues (I recently purchased a home). Three weeks ago I finally got around to putting together my new PC and everything went fine except every game kept crashing. I bought two GTX 285's because I wanted to run them in SLI. So after trying every remedy I could find online (Thanks to you guys at Tom's for the assistance) I finally discovered that I had a bad card. Right now I am running only one GTX 285 with no problems. My current rig is:

Intel 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz
Prolimatech Megahalem CPU Cooler with 2 Scythe 120mm fans
Corsair Dominator DDR3 RAM 1600 @ 7-7-7-21
ASUS P6X58-E mobo
Intel X-25 80GB SSD (Primary OS drive)
WD Velociraptor 300GB (Gaming drive)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Storage drive)
Kingwin 1000W PSU
Cooler Master HAF-X Case

My problem is that I called up support at BFG Tech and they issued me an RMA # and told me to ship the card to them. I shipped the unit via UPS with shipping insurance and tracking like the people at BFG told me to. Today (the day before the card reaches them in IL) I recieve an email stating that they will be unable to replace or repair my card and are canceling my RMA. It stated that if I had already shipped the unit (which I already had) that they would just ship my broken unit back to me.
Does this mean that I am out the $250 plus tax that I spent on the card plus $13 dollars to ship it to them ~$280 roughly!
I've tried calling the number they sent with the email but no one answers. Does this mean that the LIFETIME WARRANTY that came with the card is only good for 6 months!

Any advice on what my next move should be guys? Is there any way to get my money back on this card that has never worked once.

More about : crappy bfg card

a c 235 U Graphics card
August 17, 2010 4:40:14 AM

BFG is in liquidation, in other words the company is no more as is your warranty

try to contact Nvidia, just don't hold your breathe
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 17, 2010 4:42:47 AM

^ Wow, what happened did they go bankrupt?

But yeah if thats what happened your warranty is forfeit.

It's like having money in stock, when the company goes bankrupt you lose all of your stock.
Related resources
a c 235 U Graphics card
August 17, 2010 4:44:34 AM

yeah, first the PSU unit went belly up. then the video card. finally they called it quits and forums are full of people like jmack. Happened real fast, week after week it was one bad announcement after another.
August 17, 2010 4:55:41 AM

Well that sucks guys. I might try to sell the one good GTX 285 online somewhere and make a little money off of the deal. I think I might upgrade to the MSI nVidia GTX 460 1GB card I saw on Newegg today.
Thanks guys.
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 17, 2010 4:58:54 AM

The GTX 285 is more powerful then a GTX 460, if you overclock the 460 1GB it will be better, but its not going to be a big enough upgrade to be worth it.
August 17, 2010 5:06:09 AM

Well I wanted two GTX 285's so that I could play Crysis with Very High details on Enthusiast settings. I also made this rig for The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, Fallout 3, TES IV: Oblivion (with detail mods), COD: MW2, Battlefield: BC2, and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series. I know that a single GTX 285 will play all of these titles but I wanted to play them at the top settings. I doubt that I will be able to find an affordable GTX 285 online somewhere to SLI with the one I have. Any suggestions?

P.S. I play at 1920X1200 res.
a c 153 U Graphics card
August 17, 2010 5:07:43 AM

I've been looking for a 280 for a friend for a while and I havn't found any, you might be out of luck, ebay has them all over priced, all I'm saying is that upgrading(downgrading) to a single 460 will not be worth it from a 285.
!