Desktop Icons Problems

Every time I finish playing UT2K4 I find my desktop icons have reverted back
to their defaults (My Computer and Recycle Bin). Is there any way to stop
this?

Meltdown

darkrats enlightened us with:
> Every time I finish playing UT2K4 I find my desktop icons have
> reverted back to their defaults (My Computer and Recycle Bin). Is
> there any way to stop this?

What desktop environment are you using? KDE? Gnome? Something else? Or
aren't you running Linux but MacOS? Or Windows?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

On Tue, 04 May 2004 09:27:23 GMT, "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Every time I finish playing UT2K4 I find my desktop icons have reverted back
>to their defaults (My Computer and Recycle Bin). Is there any way to stop
>this?

Give this a try:

Navigate to the following key in your registry:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID
(HKCU =3D HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT)

Right-click the folder icon for this key & select 'Permissions'.
Click 'Advanced' , click 'Add', type "System" -> click 'OK'

Put a check in the 'Deny' column for the 'Set Value' permission.

I'm not a reg-dr but I play one on TV :) Best know what you're doing
before poking around in the registry.

-s-

martin

MeltDown wrote:
> darkrats enlightened us with:
>> Every time I finish playing UT2K4 I find my desktop icons have
>> reverted back to their defaults (My Computer and Recycle Bin). Is
>> there any way to stop this?
>
> What desktop environment are you using? KDE? Gnome? Something else? Or
> aren't you running Linux but MacOS? Or Windows?
>
> MeltDown

And how many of them have a My Computer icon?

---

> And how many of them have a My Computer icon?

Well, KDE and Gnome can come with them, depending upon distro. Not sure
about OS X.

--
IWIK

I might try this.
What exactly will this change in the Registry do?

On Wed, 05 May 2004 02:39:39 GMT, "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I might try this.
>What exactly will this change in the Registry do?

Keep the system itself from reverting your icons back to default by
denying it the permissions to do so. Its worked before, and its easy
enough to change back if it doesn't work.

-s-

martin

IWIK wrote:
>> And how many of them have a My Computer icon?
>
> Well, KDE and Gnome can come with them, depending upon distro. Not
> sure about OS X.

Which distros come with a My Computer icon in KDE and Gnome? None I have
seen.

It was very obvious that the OP was referring to Windows. No matter how much
you, I and Meltdown may wish it, Linux still accounts for a fraction of
desktop installations.

That said, I'm sure Melt had his tongue firmly in cheek when he typed it.

Martin

Meltdown

Martin enlightened us with:
> Which distros come with a My Computer icon in KDE and Gnome? None I
> have seen.

But not a single one prevents you from having one.

> It was very obvious that the OP was referring to Windows.

Not to me.

> No matter how much you, I and Meltdown may wish it, Linux still
> accounts for a fraction of desktop installations.

Sure, but from what I've heared (no hard facts here) there are more
desktops with Linux than MacOS right now.

> That said, I'm sure Melt had his tongue firmly in cheek when he typed it.

Just teasing a little bit. People should be clear as to what they are
talking about, and not assume the whole world knows off-hand what OS
they run.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Andrew

On Wed, 5 May 2004 17:25:22 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Just teasing a little bit. People should be clear as to what they are
>talking about, and not assume the whole world knows off-hand what OS
>they run.

As the OP posted using Outhouse Express, it is fairly obvious.

Meltdown

Andrew enlightened us with:
> As the OP posted using Outhouse Express, it is fairly obvious.

Many people in the Linux groups I frequent use OE to post, for various
reasons. Some people post from their office, or from another computer,
or whatever. I just think when people want help with their desktop
environment, they should give at least some info about it so that the
people that are trying to answer their question don't have to start
guessing.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Andrew

On Wed, 5 May 2004 17:43:29 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Many people in the Linux groups I frequent use OE to post, for various
>reasons. Some people post from their office, or from another computer,
>or whatever. I just think when people want help with their desktop
>environment, they should give at least some info about it so that the
>people that are trying to answer their question don't have to start
>guessing.

In the context of this thread, I think you are being way too pedantic,
it was obvious to 99.9999% certainty what OS he was referring to.

On Wed, 5 May 2004 17:43:29 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Andrew enlightened us with:
>> As the OP posted using Outhouse Express, it is fairly obvious.
>
>I just think when people want help with their desktop
>environment, they should give at least some info about it so that the
>people that are trying to answer their question don't have to start
>guessing.

Even the flavor really isn't enough, it would generally be nice to
know the specific OS. Luckily this problem's fix was fairly generic
in nature.

Remember folks, the more info you provide in the initial post, the
fewer back-and-forth questions we'll need to ask. It'll often be the
difference between a helpful response and simply ignoring you.

-s-

On Wed, 5 May 2004 17:43:29 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>Andrew enlightened us with:
>> As the OP posted using Outhouse Express, it is fairly obvious.
>
>Many people in the Linux groups I frequent use OE to post, for various
>reasons. Some people post from their office, or from another computer,
>or whatever. I just think when people want help with their desktop
>environment, they should give at least some info about it so that the
>people that are trying to answer their question don't have to start
>guessing.
>
>MeltDown

You could always assume that he is one of the 96% of the computing
population that have a Windows desktop. ;-)

> And how many of them have a My Computer icon?
Well, I haven't tried many, I have to admit, but SuSE definitely does -
and that's a huge distro. Besides I still use that sort of terminology as
I'm stuck in my ways already @ 23 =]

I can see where you're coming from, though.

--
IWIK

Thanks to all who replied about my problem (despite the sub-discussion about
which OS I was talking about) using UT2K4 and WinXP.

I found a small fix called "layout" that adds to the right-click menu, an
option to save the desktop layout and to restore it whenever things are
changed.

darkrats