Asus ENGTX 470 heating problems?

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hi,

I've bought an Asus ENGTX 470.Tried playing Lost Planet with it,and after 3-4 minutes monstrous fan noises started to come from the chasis.I than tried to measure the GPU temperature to find out it reaches
91 degrees.The card idles around 60-65 degrees.

Are those measurements normal for this card,or should I send it to technical support for chek-up?

I have also tried to open the side panel for the chasis,and the temperatures under load got around 85c.
Some guy said it could be related to the power supply,which is Thermaltake 650 Watt.He said getting a PSU with higher power could help,but I' not really sure about this possibility.

I'm using a Thermaltake Aquila chasis.

Thanks.

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Yep,that's the chasis I own.And the inside looks exactly like this except the HUGE Gtx470.It's installed to the upper PCI slot.
008.JPG

I have no extra cooling other than the default 2 chasis fans,and the default fans on the compontents.I usually don't overclock anything so I had always gone with the standart coolers,and had no problems until today.

My GTX 470 isn't overclocked either,but it still heats like that.

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
not to burst any bubbles here, but with the high processing of the card, thats pretty normal for the 400 series,

the only alternative is to invest in a gpu cooler!! that would bring your temps down buy at least 19-22'C...depending on the quality of your cooler!!

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
To install a GPU cooler,do I have to remove the original cooling system on the card,or can I use the free PCI slot?

Or would replacing the chasis help?

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
here is the cooler i got for my friends card, and works perfectly!!

just download the user manuals and "how to" instructions... its pretty easy!!

Dane

www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=390

Petey1013

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
If your case temps dropped that much by just removing the side panel, your case cooling is pretty inadequate, especially for a card like a 470 which needs good case cooling.

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

Thanks,but the website says it's designed for GTX 260,275,280 and 285 while mine is 470? :sweat:

It was just the GPU temperature,not the overall case temp,though this seems to be the case.Would a case with good air flow provide better cooling than a case with side panel open though? Forgive my lack of knowledge ^^;

Oh,and about what that guy said,having a high power Power Supply making the cooling better?

roush2fast

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Your problem is case air flow. Before I change my H50 to intake and the top fan to exhaust my card would run hot. Once changed to my current set up the card idles around 43 and stays under 70 even when playing BC2 for hours on end. You should not need an aftermarket cooler. Play with your intake/exhaust fans until you find the configuration which works the best.

Petey1013

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Your case well... sucks. From an airflow perspective anyway. it looks like it only has a 92 or maybe an 80MM fan for an intake and the standard 120mm fan for an exhaust. I'd be looking at getting a new case. Theres lots of options for under 100$ that would VASTLY improve your airflow. If thats not in the budget, I'd be looking at places to add more fans. If you can upgrade that front intake to at least a 120mm, and if that side/windows can mount a fan, which is sorta looks like it can, I'd be putting one as an intake there.

But really, the Antec 300 on a budget, or the Coolermaster 690 II or 922 would be a couple good options with good airflow.

From my experience with the GTX 480, your card is functioning exactly as designed. My temps are exactly 91c at their highest, but the fan never goes above 75%, even when overclocked. The card is apparently built to target that maximum temperature. Be sure to try the latest drivers. I'm not sure if it's possible, but I'm pretty sure my fan was louder before the recent driver update.

model

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
you have to remove the original.
fermi is hot. 91c can fry quail egg.
maybe except gtx460.
my sister use it, the temp. is idle 57c full load 80c
she only has 1 case fan at the back.
i heard 5xx series coming soon.

are you happy with your gtx470? i want to buy one
then i found your thread. it's just 20 bucks more than
gtx460

G

Is much cheaper to find someone and to open 2 halls by the side of the box and put 2 NF-P12 noctua fans for increasing the air pressure to the card and the motherboard. You will need 120x120 filters from outside and you must put some rubber the fans not touch the case absorbing the vibrations.

Asus is already has quality cooler to his card.