Can this PSU Power a GTX 580

Chilledchaos

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I know I recently made a post about whether or not 6+2 PCI is the same as a 8 PCI connector, but here's my next problem....

I may not have enough AMPs to even run the GTX 580, and I do not really want to return it after just getting it for Christmas lol

Was wondering if someone could help me out, and inform me whether or not this has enough amps per rail to actually power it. Thanks :(

I know its 42 Amps per 12v Rail, but is that just for one rail? or is that just for two of them? Is that all of them combined?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56041721@N03/5186058974/

Thanks again!

D

Deleted member 362816

Requirements
Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps.)

Well please list your cpu how many case fans drives hard drives and such

if you have a I7 or a 6core amd i wouldn't even try lol because that power supply says its 750 watts but it doesn't put out 750 prolly around 600-650

D

Deleted member 362816

In hardcore long gaming periods when that fan kicks up to 70%-90% it will suck more then the min req for a psu

D

Deleted member 362816

Total system draw 350-500 watts tops. lol. i think that incorrect.

D

Deleted member 362816

For the whole system it would be more then that maybe for the card alone. it takes more then that to run the whole system during gaming---that site doesn't tell us his total system draw unless you are just talking about the card.

D

Deleted member 362816

According to that size the gpu alone is taking 389 watts at load in crysis. that is not adding into fact all the other components. so your mark at 350-50 is biases

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
LOL it is, systems don't use that much power without high end graphics. I think a hard drive uses something like 4watts. A ssd uses practically nothing. A high end cpu might use 150w severely overclocked(more like 95w stock), and that's a 1366 socket quad @ 4.2ghz.

Guru run their tests on high end OC'd i7's, so basically if you go by their rec's you should be safe.

They also give actual gpu consumption against total system draw which is also interesting.

You live you learn, what are the mV ratings on 12v rails?

Chilledchaos

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

Well I really hope so, but my concern is that the Card Requires 42 Amps on the 12V Rail

I have 4 Rails, each allocating 18 amps. If I am only going to be using 2 of them, wont I only be giving it 36 amps?

D

Deleted member 362816

Ok let me make you feel better i am using a 950 watt psu that really only puts out 600 or so because its a crap coolmax im running 2 power hungry gtx 465's in sli overclocked and i dont have a probume so you wont

Chilledchaos

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

I guess I am just a bit confused, and I am sorry I keep asking questions that may be very "stupid" or "easy questions" but, that 490w that is left over, how much can those two connectors (the 6 pin and the 6+2 pin) actually use and allocate to the Video Card, like is there enough power on the rails themselves to power the card.

I know there may be 41A left, but how much can those two connectors use?

Sorry if I am confusing the hell out of you, I am confusing the *** out of myself as well...

I just want to make sure the multiple 12v Rails are capable of providing the required amps to the card.

Thanks

and again, sorry if this sounds retarded...