No audio on Asus motherboard in Windows 7 (x64)

HTX

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
I am at my wits' end. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a system running on an Asus P5E3 DELUXE/WiFi-AP motherboard. I am running Windows 7 (x64). I cannot get the on-board audio to work.

Window says that there is no audio output device installed. As such, when I plug my speakers in I get no sound and the sound icon in the notification area continues to display a red circle with an "x".

The High Definition Audio Controller is installed under Device Manager and appears to be normal. The controller is using the standard Microsoft driver. However, the High Definition Audio Controller is listed under System Devices. There is no listing for Sound, Video, & Game Controllers in the Device Manager. I have tried disabling and re-enabling the audio controller. I have uninstalled the controller and let Windows reinstall it. All to no avail.

System info says that no sound devices are installed.

I have verified (multiple times) that onboard audio is enabled in the BIOS. I have tried disabling the audio in the BIOS, booting to Windows, rebooting, and re-enabling the audio in the BIOS. That also didn't work.

I have attempted to reinstall the drivers from ASUS. I receive an error message saying that the hardware does not support the drivers. I have verified, multiple times, that I am attempting to install the correct drivers. I have even tried other driver packages. No go.

Any ideas? Please help!

wala

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Maybe their is a virus on your drive that disables your audio, try to scan the whole system;
Do you use a built-in or not built-in sound card? Try to use a Sound card that is not built-in;
or if their is no other way try to Format your computer

HTX

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

I am generally pretty careful about stuff like viruses. I run Microsoft Security Essentials and a full scan comes up clean. I am using the on-board audio, so it is integrated into the motherboard.

I can order a PCI soundcard and see if that fixes it, but I would really like the motherboard to function as it is supposed to. A new soundcard is more of a work around than a solution. Surely someone has seen this before?

Its not a virus. you never stated what graphics card you have installed in the system, most new ones can route audio through them Ati cards are a good example and also Nvidia cards.

If the cards support Hdmi video, and Hdmi audio, it is likely windows 7 is trying to use this as a default audio device.
To get the audio working throught your Hi def onboard sound.
Right click on the speaker icon next to the time, Then click on playback devices, right click on any audio device a list will come up.
Tick show disabled devices, you should now see your hi def onboard audio,Right click on it and set it as default device.

HTX

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

I have a Nvidia 9800 GTX card. DVI only, no HDMI.

There are NO audio devices on the system, which is the whole problem. Even with show disconnected and show disabled devices ticked on the playback menu, there are no audio devices displayed.

When I run Device Manager and have it show devices that are not present, I can see where the "High Definition Audio Device" used to be under Sound, Video & Game Controllers. It is no longer present on the system.

Confirm this:

a) audio is enabled in your BIOS
b) your audio driver is installed. If in doubt, reinstall it.

FYI, if you DO get a sound card, I'd be glad to help. Also, never spend too much on a sound card without getting reasonably good speakers.

The best value in speakers I've seen was a sale on M-Audio AV30, stereo desktop speakers.

HTX

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

Never overclocked.

A) Audio is enabled in the BIOS.
B) The audio driver will not install. I get an error message saying that the drivers do not support my hardware.

It seems like the consensus is that I'm screwed. Any (cheap) sound card suggestions?

ryandsouza

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
3+ years old eh?
Could be that the onboard audio is dead. Happened with my onboard LAN, one day it was fine, next day it was as if it's not there at all.
Did everything you did... disable / enabled from bios, drivers and all... nothing helped... had to get a PCI card for that...

Would be great if you can get a sound card to check...