What can 450W power?

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
So I'm planning some upgrades to my build. My current PSU is a really nice modular 450W OCZ. I don't really want to have to buy a new one if I don't need to. Would 450W be able to supply an AMD Phenom 955, ATI Radeon 5850 on a mid/high-end MOBO and DDR3-1600 RAM? I'll probably do some minor OC'ing of the components as well. I did the newegg PSU finder thing, and it recommended a 550W PSU. So... thought?

D

Deleted member 362816

Sorry man no heres why
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode) for the 5850

plus running fans on a case,hard drives, cd drives usb items speakers no a 450 wont cut it sorry

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
For whatever it is worth, I am presently running an OCZ Stealth X stream 600, [which Hardwaresecrets.com says OCZ could have sold as a 700w], and it is just fine for any single video card system, OCZ now has a Stealth X ETC,ETC,,, 600-2,which is a slight improvement on the original,no complaints here...:)

D

Deleted member 362816

I guess if you never want to do Sli/Crossfire in the future it is overkill.

Most people think a PSU either works or doesn't. They don't understand the many symptoms a poor PSU can create.

Most OCZ PSUs are OK. Depends on the OEM and specific model. You are not likely to get the build quality or longevity that you would from a PSU built by Seasonic or Delta, for instance.

One of my systems has an OC'd Q9550, 4 GB RAM, a GTX260 - a card with similar power requirements to yours, a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, 3 hard drives and an optical, and a Soundblaster card all powered by a Corsair 750TX.

Running 3 instances of Prime95 to load the CPU and 3DMark06 to load the GPU, it pulls 375 watts from the wall as measured by my Kill-a-Watt meter. Figuring 80% efficiency, the system pulls 300 watts from the PSU.

It takes surprisingly little power to power most systems.