$700 Gaming Desktop

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Desktops
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 28, 2010 7:35:03 PM

Hello all short time lurker first time poster. I'm looking to build a new desktop specifics are below if you've got further questions ask away.

Approximate Purchase Date: 3 weeks to a month from now.

Budget Range: Looking to spend between $600 to $700

System Usage from Most to Least Important: #1) Gaming (WoW, SC2, Borderlands, CoD), #2) Movies, #3) Music

Parts Not Required: OS (Will be Windows7 64bit), speakers, monitor, keyboard, mouse, case**

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: either newegg.com or tigerdirect.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Most of my research has been on AMD, but no real preference past Quad-core processor.

Overclocking: Yes but nothing extreme looking for .3 or .4 ghz over stock to start.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe as an upgrade later on but not as part of the build.

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024, 1920x1080 Monitor will be upgraded in December until then I'll be using a 17 in =[

Additional Comments: **No need to include case in the budget. I'm looking for a full tower case with good ventilation. I'm willing to spend a little more for something that will last over multiple builds. Right now I'm looking at Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case if you think there is a full tower case offering more bang for my buck feel free to include link.
If you want to recommend a water cooling system that would be good as well. (Once again outside budget) If it would be exceptional overkill for a system with minimal overclocking you can disregard this request.

Thank you in advance.

More about : 700 gaming desktop

September 28, 2010 8:20:04 PM

Here is a good deal on a beautiful case: Antec 1200 for $117 if you buy it today or tomorrow.
m
l
September 28, 2010 8:42:15 PM

Watercooling isnt very useful anymore. A good air cooler will get you almost the same benefit at very little expense or risk.

Id rather see you spend less on the case and have more budget for the important parts of the PC. Technically you dont even really have to have a case.

CM690, HAF 912, or Antec 300 illusion is what I would pick at your budget level for a case. These are all good mid-towers with good airflow.
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2010 11:23:35 PM

I know, besides airflow, a case is basically cosmetic that's why I don't want to include the case into my budget. Does a full tower generally have better airflow than a mid-tower?
m
l
September 29, 2010 12:00:38 AM

gfreking said:
Does a full tower generally have better airflow than a mid-tower?
No. It has more room inside thus requires more or larger fans to get the same airflow you can get in a smaller case.

The reason to get a full tower is you are going to put in lots of internals (HDDs, SSDs, etc), not for better cooling.
m
l
September 29, 2010 2:55:09 AM

Get a case that pleases you, since you will be looking at it for years to come. Don't worry about the cooling - larger cases come with more and bigger fans. A full tower is easier to work with - no worries that parts will fit, and plenty of room to work inside. Both the HAF 932 and Antec 1200 are good choices.

One suggestion: do you have Frys or MicroCenter near you? Go take a look and make a physical comparison. Also, if you buy from a brick and morter you may not pay the sometimes high shipping charges. Frys has the HAF 932 on sale at the moment.

Here are some recommendations for the parts to go inside this new machine you are building.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb - fast cpu, easy to overclock, great price to performance ratio per Passmark.

Motherboard: ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a.

Combo CPU and mobo for $258

Graphics: GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W - well rated, plenty of power for SLI if you want later.

Combo GPU and PSU for $249 after rebates and promo code

Memory: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB DDR3 1600 for $94 - this stuff is fast, has excellent latency and low voltage (1.35v) which makes it very overclock-able.

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB for $59 after promo code

Cooling: Here is a fine air cooler: ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa for $40

Now, liquid cooling looks great, and is lots of fun to design and install. It is expensive - $200 to $450 and the amount of extra cooling that you obtain is not really all that much. May I suggest that you get the air cooler to get your build working, and plan the liquid cooling system as an upgrade.

Total: $700
m
l
September 29, 2010 8:33:56 AM

$685AR but cheaper w/o case included
m
l
!