Sign in with
Your question

New drive, Partition question!

Last response: in Storage
January 7, 2013 6:48:51 PM

I've had a Western Digital 320 gb (WD3200AAKS) as my main drive for a while now, but with my ever growing steam library, I found it impossible to keep all the games I wanted installed at the same time. So I went out and bought a Western Digital 1 TB (WD10EZEX), which is running on my SATA 3gb Mobo.

I had 2 setups in mind but don't know which one will yield the best performance. Taking suggestions!

1 TB drive, with my OS, Steam games, all other applications, regular data
320 GB drive storage / backups

or

320 GB drive with my OS, all other applications, regular data

1 TB
500 GB partition Steam Games
500 GB partition storage

So I'm wondering, since the 1 TB is faster, would it be wiser to run the first configuration, or would the performance gain be negligible?
a b G Storage
January 7, 2013 8:23:43 PM

Your first setup is best. Not only will it be faster but it will be easier to manage and keep clean. I recommend a new windows install if you can, it will clean up your rig substantially. But you'd have to re-install most programs (there's a way to move the steam programs, though). But WD has Acronis True Image WD Edition Software

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=...

It is an excellent cloning software and you can use it without worry. Good luck.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 7, 2013 8:41:57 PM

Also, on non-valve games (won't work on TF2, CS, that kind of stuff) you now get the option to create a library on separate drives, so if you have non-steam games you can move them all back and forth between the drives by backing up the data and re-installing the game. Valve games like TF2 have to remain in the primary steam install directory, but you can move some of the files TF2 uses (textures and stuff I think) using steam mover or MKLink if your familiar with that (what steam mover uses).
m
l
Related resources
!