Sign in with
Your question

AMD Sempron > AMD 64 X2

Last response: in Components
December 25, 2010 5:31:07 PM

I am looking to replace my AMD Sempron with an AMD 64 X2 on my NF61V micro AM2 mainboard. At the same time I am increasing my hard drive to 1TB and my RAM to two 1GB sticks, 2GBs total. Currently I have 80GB hard drive and 1 stick of 256 MB RAM. I am also looking to change from Windows XP operating system to Windows 7. Is this advisable? And will it work? I chiefly use my computer for music and college school work.

If its not obvious by what I just wrote, I am a novice computer person. I have spent hours reading different sites on what to do, I just want some personalized help.

More about : amd sempron amd

December 26, 2010 12:02:04 AM

256mb ram? thats terrible? yes you should definitely upgrade to 2gb! and windows 7 is a great os, it will actually run faster than xp on that machine. what psu are you using? make sure it has the power for the better cpu!
m
l
December 26, 2010 12:31:06 AM

Is this your mobo?
http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/content.php?S_I...

You can get a 45W or 65W Athlon II X2 like:

AMD Athlon X2
5050e 45W ADH5050IAA5DO - 2.6GHz
4850e 45W (code ADH2300IAA5DD) - 2.5GHz
4450e 45W ADH4450IAA5DO - 2.3GHz
5400+ 65W ADO5400IAA5DO or ADO5400IAA5DS - 2,8GHz
4600+ ADO4600IAA5DO - 2.4GHz
etc
or others from here
http://products.amd.com/en-us/desktopcpuresult.aspx?f1=...

Since the CPU support list isn't working for that mobo on their sites better contact them and ask if all the Athlon X2 CPUs are supported on your BIOS version and on the latest. From the link below I see that they made another BIOS (N61VMB03.BS)- "Added support AM2 new CPU". On the other page on top of this reply the latest version is N61vm524.bs with Win7 support and there are new drivers too.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=nf61v%20...

Are you sure that stick of RAM is only 256 MB. Go in All programs/accessories/system tools/system information and check. Write in here the BIOS version as well, you'll probably need a BIOS update.

But Win7 needs more RAM to work so stick with XP and buy more RAM, like 2 sticks of 1GB to replace yours.

For the HDD you can get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB or 1TB.

m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2010 1:02:05 AM

dont get a sasung hard drive. they arent as reliable and quiet as western digital caviar blacks, blues, or greens.
m
l
December 26, 2010 8:26:45 PM

I have already purchased the HDD, its a western digital 1TB caviar green with 64MB cache. As for the BIOS I checked and I think its 2.4. I was wrong earlier, I currently have 512MB of RAM, in the form of 1 stick. I was wondering, will I need to buy cooling gel for the new CPU, and where do I find out what PSU I am using? And when I go to do all of these updates, what order do I do them in. I have a new HDD, two new 1GB sticks of RAM, windows 7OS, microsoft office 2010, and the CPU listed below(will have the last one, hopefully soon).

The CPU I am looking into buying is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Speed is very important to me, I hate to wait, and I just want to be able to multitask between papers and what not and the internet. Thank you for all of your help.
m
l
December 26, 2010 8:47:08 PM

put in the cpu and apply thermal paste and heatsink. then put in the ram, then win7, then software.

really it doesnt matter all that much. just do the hardware upgrades BEFORE installing windows. open the side of your case and lok at the psu label to see which you have
m
l
December 27, 2010 2:02:10 AM

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/checking-...

You can install Windows 7 only on one motherboard so you might want to keep that for your next PC.

That CPU doesn't come with a heatsink so you need to buy one and some arctic silver 5. This one comes with the HSF, it's new and a good CPU and you have the thermal paste on the heatsink already.
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-Brisbane-Dual-Core-Pro...

Maybe you should start all over and get a new mobo and CPU for your RAM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
You have 4 RAM slots and good onboard video. The mobo can use the latest AMD CPUs. Hopefully it will fit in your case but we need more details about that case.
m
l
December 27, 2010 3:29:47 AM

will I not be able to use the heatsink that is currently in it? And as far as just buying a new motherboard, that seems like it would overall complete the project but also takes it far past what I think I have the capabilities to do. And I'm not sure that any extra accessories, ports, connections, etc would be able to fit in the case that I currently have. So for now, I will just do the CPU, HDD, RAM, and OS. Thank you though. And I did check my Power Supply Unit, there is a small chart of numbers, with columns for voltage, current, and frequency, and rows for input and output. I'm not sure which of these numbers you need. There is actually in total 18 different numbers ranging between volts, amps, and Hz. So if you need any of this information just let me know. Again, thank you for helping me with this, I am learning so much.
m
l
January 1, 2011 11:35:48 PM

So with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ (3.0GHz) ADO5800IAA5DO cpu will I still need to upgrade the HSF?
m
l
January 2, 2011 5:57:17 AM

Contact Biostar and ask them about those CPUs above.
m
l
January 3, 2011 12:02:19 AM

is there a noticable difference in these two cpus?
http://www.buy.com/prod/amd-athlon-64-x2-5800-brisbane-...
or
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=A64-5800DO&c=fr&p...
obviously the first one comes with the fan, so Im wondering which I should go with, if my current fan would work, I don't want to spend the money. But one is listed at 3.0GHz, while the other is only 2.6GHz.

this is the last piece of hardware I will need to purchase so I want to make sure I get the best one possible.
m
l
January 4, 2011 2:34:04 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. I went to the computer store where I bought the original computer three years ago and I was told that they could order me a Athlon 64 X2 6400 3.2GHz. They remembered using those motherboards and told me that that cpu would be the best I would be able to upgrade to. They offered to order it for me for 70 dollars. Feeling this was a good deal, I went ahead and agreed. But just in case there we dessenting opinions amongst the people who have been helping me this entire time, I thought I would post it here. They also said my current HSF would work.
m
l
January 4, 2011 2:45:18 PM

good, thank you. I will go back and ask him to only do the 5800. That is what we started talking about but then he said, why not go one more higher. I am not a sucker and I will not fall for a sales trap that will leave me upgrading my power supply, there is no need for it.
m
l
January 4, 2011 2:52:38 PM

I have gotten more information about my power switching suppy box, here is its model.
ATX SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY
MODEL: EP 43060
On the box it says its peak load is 430W, I dont know if this means I can do the higher level CPU or not. What do you think?
m
l
January 4, 2011 3:06:51 PM

holy crud, now we are talking about graphics cards?! I think I have something about nVida or something like that, it came up on one of my many inner computer seaches. but for now, since im not a gamer or anything I will just leave it.
m
l
January 6, 2011 6:49:15 PM

okay, i've purchased all the parts, it should be a few days before I get the CPU (athlon 64 x2 5800 3.0GHz) I think, based on one of the earlier posts, that the next thing I need to do is run a BIOS update. How exactly do I do this? I'm not even sure what BIOS is- haha. Remember the user name, novice...
m
l
January 6, 2011 7:54:16 PM

I am on a blue screen that lists several options that will be very helpful later. But I cannot find what version of BIOS I am currently running. And my computer doesnt have a floppy drive. So, where would I go within this menu screen to find the BIOS, and can I use a CD in place of a floppy disk. It seems the BioStar site is a little out of date.
m
l
January 6, 2011 8:22:43 PM

top left hand side side says, phoenix- award workstationBIOS CMOS
then below that starts the menu options
Standard CMOS Features
Advanced BIOS Features
Advanced Chipset Features
Integrated Peripherals
Power Management Setup
PnP/PCI Configurations
PC Health Status
Ive been in a few of these submenus and I just cant find the specific BIOS.
m
l
January 11, 2011 2:24:41 AM

UGH!!! I went to do all my replacements today and realized I was not ready. Need now to purchase new RAM, 240 pin this time, not the stupid 184pin, and an adapter cord from 4pin to 15pin molex for the new harddrive. This is truly going to be a fun update. Oh, and did I mention, since I only had one SATA cable I couldnt get the computer to recognize the new HDD, my computer friend said it was because I needed the 4pin to 15pin molex sata power cable. Maybe by next week this will all work out.
m
l
January 15, 2011 5:46:30 PM

The computer store says new RAM will be in on wednesday. I have the new CPU now and the new HDD, I havent turned the computer on. I am unsure how to progress now. The new CPU is in the socket, but I dont want to hurt it. What do I do next. I think I read something somewhere about clocking speed, and other things that confuse me.
m
l
January 15, 2011 6:12:25 PM

yeah, but i never did a bios update because i couldnt figure it out, with all the menus i never found what version i am currently running, i have downloaded the one on the biostar site to a flashdrive, since i dont have a floppy disk or floppy disk drive like their site says. but i dont know what to do now, do i just try to turn the computer on without the bios update and see if it works, or do i reinstall the old cpu and do the update. i just dont want to hurt the new cpu. and since i just got the converter for the sata power i dont have an operating system now

m
l
January 15, 2011 6:27:43 PM

I think I may have found something more about the BIOS, something physically on the board says D886.
m
l
January 22, 2011 12:10:55 AM

having trouble with the cpu, all the lights are on for a bit, but then the disc drive lights shut down and the flash drive ports. The speaker and keyboard lights stay on, but the monitor remains unresponsive. I can only assume this is the cpu. I called biostar today and they told me my version of BIOS should support the brisbane class of cpus. They also told me that it is only listed up to 5600. But the tech support said that 5800 should work since its still a brisbane core. When I use my old sempron cpu, everything works, the ram and new HDD, which has been loaded with Windows 7. Im just concerned that the new cpu is too much. Can anyone talk me off the edge?
m
l
November 24, 2013 4:01:34 AM

novice_72 said:
having trouble with the cpu, all the lights are on for a bit, but then the disc drive lights shut down and the flash drive ports. The speaker and keyboard lights stay on, but the monitor remains unresponsive. I can only assume this is the cpu. I called biostar today and they told me my version of BIOS should support the brisbane class of cpus. They also told me that it is only listed up to 5600. But the tech support said that 5800 should work since its still a brisbane core. When I use my old sempron cpu, everything works, the ram and new HDD, which has been loaded with Windows 7. Im just concerned that the new cpu is too much. Can anyone talk me off the edge?

You should have checked the mobo specs it tells you ut supports it up to 2.6ghz which is the right one.
m
l
!