Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Motherboard problem

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 21, 2011 10:51:48 AM

My motherboard is broken in the sens that when it start (the pc) nothing shows on screen.....i finally managed to realize that the motherboard is the problem...if anybody has some ideeas how to fix it please share it with me....thanks from the start...the motherboard is a gigabyte ga-p31-es3g

More about : motherboard problem

August 21, 2011 12:04:36 PM

OK, how did you work out that the motherboard was the problem?
And are you using integrated or discrete graphics?

Probably best if you post your full specs.
August 21, 2011 12:10:33 PM

sorry i did post the full specs on a previos post so,i have a nvidia 9400 gt video card,4gb ddr2 Kingstone,i did manage to realize that is the motherboard after unplugging the ram card out letting just the motherboard and videocard and powersupply ,i powered on with the screwdriver,and there were no beeps after pulling the rams out, and i changed the powersupply same simptoms,and then the is ok not burned or something like that.+my school teacher told me that he had the same problems with 2 school computers from lab (same motherboard) ....
Related resources
August 21, 2011 12:34:31 PM

AMD X6850 said:
OK, how did you work out that the motherboard was the problem?
And are you using integrated or discrete graphics?

Probably best if you post your full specs.

processor intel pentium 4 core duo 2.5..
August 21, 2011 12:49:03 PM

It might be the video card, have you done anything to test that?
Your motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics (or so it seems from the Newegg photos) so if you can,
find another video card to test the motherboard (you should at least get a BIOS screen on your monitor if its not the motherboard).
August 21, 2011 12:53:38 PM

OK Tom's is not letting me edit my last post so I made a new one.

Another thing you could try (if you don't have a second video card) is to put the Nvidia 9400 GT into another computer and see if you can get any output on the monitor using that. This is all just to make sure it is not the video card that is failing here.
August 21, 2011 12:59:06 PM

AMD X6850 said:
OK Tom's is not letting me edit my last post so I made a new one.

Another thing you could try (if you don't have a second video card) is to put the Nvidia 9400 GT into another computer and see if you can get any output on the monitor using that. This is all just to make sure it is not the video card that is failing here.

thanks i have tryed to put it in a diffrent pc (my brothers with i`m using now) but it has a special port that my brothers pc does not have.
August 21, 2011 1:01:50 PM

i`m pretty shore is not videocard but.....i have wiped the dust with a pece of clothing with alchool.....it was unpluged....so....have i done something wrong in it?....
August 21, 2011 7:45:03 PM

Since your problem seems to be video output related and in your case, video output goes through the video card, it might be the video card.

I can't think of any way to test the video other than the two ways I put before.

If you are sure it is the motherboard, I can't think of anything to do other than replace it. It's a very complicated piece of electronics, the problem could be anywhere. And what's even worse in this case is that socket 775 is obsolete now.

If your motherboard does have a second PCI Express slot, perhaps try putting the graphics card there.

What did your school teacher end up doing?

August 21, 2011 7:48:56 PM

AMD X6850 said:
Since your problem seems to be video output related and in your case, video output goes through the video card, it might be the video card.

I can't think of any way to test the video other than the two ways I put before.

If you are sure it is the motherboard, I can't think of anything to do other than replace it. It's a very complicated piece of electronics, the problem could be anywhere. And what's even worse in this case is that socket 775 is obsolete now.

If your motherboard does have a second PCI Express slot, perhaps try putting the graphics card there.

What did your school teacher end up doing?

my tacher....playing dota:) )....he never tryed to fix it just bought anotherone(it was schools money not his) ....i think i will try the video card...somehow...and then reply you back ok? why is socket 775 so difficult?it has something special?
August 21, 2011 8:06:33 PM

Socket 775 is old now. Intel are no longer releasing any new processors into the market using this socket so effectively, it is obsolete.
As a result, motherboard makers having cut down on production so new socket 775 motherboards are gonna get harder and harder to find.

At the moment it should be fine, but you need to understand that if you do buy a new 775 motherboard, there won't ever be any new processors for it. The highest you could upgrade your processor to would be a Core 2 Quad (which is also "obsolete" now).

This is how the timeline of sockets went:
775 -> 1156 -> 1155
So at the moment, it is socket 1155, which the Sandy Bridge processors use.
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2011 8:21:39 PM

Have you tried clearing the CMOS memory correctly by using the clear CMOS link on the board with the power cord DISCONECTED?
August 22, 2011 6:15:17 AM

AMD X6850 said:
Socket 775 is old now. Intel are no longer releasing any new processors into the market using this socket so effectively, it is obsolete.
As a result, motherboard makers having cut down on production so new socket 775 motherboards are gonna get harder and harder to find.

At the moment it should be fine, but you need to understand that if you do buy a new 775 motherboard, there won't ever be any new processors for it. The highest you could upgrade your processor to would be a Core 2 Quad (which is also "obsolete" now).

This is how the timeline of sockets went:
775 -> 1156 -> 1155
So at the moment, it is socket 1155, which the Sandy Bridge processors use.

does sockets 1155 support my processor(intel core duo 2.5). and thanks a lot for updating me.
August 22, 2011 6:17:07 AM

AMD X6850 said:
Socket 775 is old now. Intel are no longer releasing any new processors into the market using this socket so effectively, it is obsolete.
As a result, motherboard makers having cut down on production so new socket 775 motherboards are gonna get harder and harder to find.

At the moment it should be fine, but you need to understand that if you do buy a new 775 motherboard, there won't ever be any new processors for it. The highest you could upgrade your processor to would be a Core 2 Quad (which is also "obsolete" now).

This is how the timeline of sockets went:
775 -> 1156 -> 1155
So at the moment, it is socket 1155, which the Sandy Bridge processors use.

so does socket 1155 support my processor(intel core duo 2.5)? thank you a lot for updating me :) 
August 22, 2011 10:36:03 AM

Quote:
Have you tried clearing the CMOS memory correctly by using the clear CMOS link on the board with the power cord DISCONECTED?


Did you try pjmelect's instructions?


Socket 1155 doesn't support intel core 2 duo.

So if you are gonna switch to 1155, it'll be easier to do a full new system, since 1155-based motherboards don't support DDR2 RAM either.

But yeah, that's really last resort.
Make sure that it's not the graphics card failing (cos that is extremely cheap to replace in comparison).

If it does end up being the motherboard, you will have to make a decision to either buy a new socket 775 motherboard (which is also very cheap as well but like I said before, lacks upgradeability) or buy parts for an entirely new system.
August 22, 2011 1:27:10 PM

AMD X6850 said:
Quote:
Have you tried clearing the CMOS memory correctly by using the clear CMOS link on the board with the power cord DISCONECTED?


Did you try pjmelect's instructions?


Socket 1155 doesn't support intel core 2 duo.

So if you are gonna switch to 1155, it'll be easier to do a full new system, since 1155-based motherboards don't support DDR2 RAM either.

But yeah, that's really last resort.
Make sure that it's not the graphics card failing (cos that is extremely cheap to replace in comparison).

If it does end up being the motherboard, you will have to make a decision to either buy a new socket 775 motherboard (which is also very cheap as well but like I said before, lacks upgradeability) or buy parts for an entirely new system.


yeah i dit....same thing the main reason i dont think is the videocard is because it woud hear a beep or something.....i think i`ll buy another motherboard leave that computer to my brother and....start gathering money for a sony Vaio....
!