Sign in with
Your question

Can't select "Extend Volume..." on a new HD

Last response: in Storage
January 7, 2013 8:54:19 PM

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 500GB internal HD and was meaning to extend my current C:/ drive onto it. It's installed and everything but I still can't seem to click the "Extend Volume..." option even when the new drive is listed as "Unallocated Space".

Here is a picture of what I am dealing with.

Help would be much appreciated! I have read many tutorials but none so far explain why there is still no option for me to "Extend Volume..."

More about : select extend volume

a b G Storage
January 8, 2013 3:25:54 AM

If you only run Windows you may be able to convert them both to Dynamic disks.
Then you can treat them as one giant volume.

Bear in mind that if you do this it may make data recovery much more difficult, so the onus is on you to keep organised backups.

Quote:
Dynamic Disks

Dynamic disks provide features that basic disks do not, such as the ability to create volumes that span multiple disks (spanned and striped volumes) and the ability to create fault-tolerant volumes (mirrored and RAID-5 volumes). Like basic disks, dynamic disks can use the MBR or GPT partition styles on systems that support both. All volumes on dynamic disks are known as dynamic volumes. Dynamic disks offer greater flexibility for volume management because they use a database to track information about dynamic volumes on the disk and about other dynamic disks in the computer. Because each dynamic disk in a computer stores a replica of the dynamic disk database, for example, a corrupted dynamic disk database can repair one dynamic disk by using the database on another dynamic disk. The location of the database is determined by the partition style of the disk. On MBR partitions, the database is contained in the last 1 megabyte (MB) of the disk. On GPT partitions, the database is contained in a 1-MB reserved (hidden) partition.

Source & Read More: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop...
m
l
a b G Storage
January 8, 2013 6:53:50 AM

You can not extend C: with the space of that 500GB disk without data loss. You can't expand system disk by convert it to dynamic disk (I am a technical supporter of computer) .
To solve the lack of space of C, you can migrate your current OS to the 500GB disk, and the use the original hdd as data drive. That is the most useful solution. Here is the details and sulotion: http://www.forumswindows8.com/aomei-partition-software/...
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2013 3:12:26 PM

Thanks guys, turns out I have no idea what I am doing!
m
l
a b G Storage
January 20, 2013 2:42:33 PM

Dynamic discs support pooling Hidream!
m
l
a b G Storage
January 22, 2013 1:17:38 AM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
Dynamic discs support pooling Hidream!

Hi, Scott, if one of the disks already has OS on, you can not expand it to another disk without data loss. If you combine two disks (dynamic) as one, you can not install OS. And I think most users are not familar with dynamic disk, one day they may mess up the disk.
m
l
!