CPU temp higher than it should be

mustacheman8

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
My e6700 (pentium dual core, not a c2d!) has idle temps of 38c, 30c at idle and 64c, 58c with stock settings. I'm using Real Temp for the temperatures, and I'm not sure if or by how much to adjust the reports. TJmax is 100c for both cores. The heatsink I'm using is the Dynatron p985, and it should be much much better than the short stock heat sink, which is why I believe the temps are wrong. I used tx-2 thermal paste. Bios reports temps of only 32c. I want to overclock to about 3.8ghz, but I'm afraid to as long as I can't be sure about the temperatures.

mustacheman8

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

Those are the temperatures now with an aftermarket heatsink. I've never used the short stock heat sink.

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
OK thanks. Do you know the cpu part number because I am seeing a max temp of 74C in the info I am finding, and you listed the max at 100C
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/143/5
also, use spped fan or CPUID to validate the temps and for idle temps you can refer to the bios system health tab.
If you decide to OC you may want to improve your cpu cooler. I am not sure how much the temp will climb when you start tweaking but wouldnt want you to get anywhere near max temp under any conditions. A better cooler, properly installed with good thermal paste might reduce your temps by 5 or more degrees and give you a little more room to tweak voltage if necessary.

mustacheman8

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Yes, everything is properly mounted. TX-2 thermal paste is not conductive.

Intel's specified max temp is 74C, but the TJmax is the absolute max and is what is used to measure the processor's relative temperature and determine throttling. The TJmax, therefore, is always much higher than what a processor should be running at. Software uses it to determine what temp a CPU is at currently.

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
BIOS reads 32 at rest and your program reads slightly higher on one core and higher on the second core. I see a large seperation between the two cores, something I havent experienced personaly.
Use Speed Fan and cpuid to validate temps then buy a better cooler, a minimum of a cooler master hyper tx3. Install it ten see what temps come down too. I bet you stay high 40's low 50's with a senisble OC on a better cooler.