~1800 3D Gaming Build Advice Needed

Drolyt

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I would like to build a new PC for gaming in 3D using NVIDIA 3D vision. Because I need everything, the OS, Speakers (or headset), Keyboard/Mouse, 3D Monitor, and the NVidia 3D Vision Kit, I am having trouble meeting budget. I plan on upgrading it further in ~4 months (with a similar budget), so skimping on non-critical components like keyboard/mouse until then is fine.

Approximate Purchase Date: Later this week or next week

Budget Range: ~1800 Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3D Gaming, 3D Movies, Adobe Creative Suite, Programming, Browsing the net.

Parts Not Required: None (All parts required)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, unless you can find something cheaper.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU with NVidia Graphics. I might change my mind on the AMD part, but you need NVidia for the 3D Vision.

Overclocking: Maybe. Might wait until I upgrade in four months.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, but not until about 4 months from now when I buy a second video card.

Monitor Resolution: Probably 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: Again, I'll be upgrading in about four months, so I need to plan ahead. I'd wait the four months out, but right now I don't have any computer (well, I have the Aspire One netbook I'm typing on).

What I managed to come up with: (I'm not attached to any of this, I need to get the price down! Any advice is welcome)
ASUS Full HD 23" Monitor w/NVidia 3D Vision Kit Included - $500
MSI NF980-G65 Motherboard - $160
GeForce GTX 480 - $500
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition $160
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) - $93
Antec Three Hundred Illusion - $65
CD/DVD Writer - $17
320 GB Hard Drive - $43
Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W - $170
Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler - $40

Drolyt

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

First off, thanks for the reply. Now, although Tom's Hardware agrees that the I5 is better, it also costs a bit more. How much better is it for the price point? Also, what mobo would you recommend then? The AMD one I chose was dirt cheap. As for the 460s, do you mean the 768 ram model or the 1 gig ram model? It's a difference of about 60 bucks per card. Would the extra ram be noticeable on a single full hd monitor? Also, although two 460s works out cheaper than one 480 and is actually better in most benchmarks it does limit upgrade paths. If in 6 months I want to upgrade my graphics what do I do? If I were to dump them on ebay how much could I expect to get?

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
i5 [:isamuelson:2] It's gonna be better for the price and give you SLI on a good board.

If you want to upgrade your graphics then.. you buy it and put it on your board. Simple! 1GB model gtx 460 is better. Two GTX 460's are better than a 480, but with the gtx 460 you can only do 2-Way SLI, after you get it you can't go any further. I like the gtx 470, it can do 3-Way SLI and its a bit better than the 460. Newegg is really cheap, i wouldn't go away from them

Drolyt

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

Thanks for the reply. I'll take that into consideration.