Please check my build

ulycarr

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Hey, its my first time building a new system and i wanted to check with the pros.
I basically want to know if this case will give good enough cooling and if this HSF will, as well as if the RAM MOBO and PSU look good.

Planning to overclock i7 930 to 3.6 - 4.0 Ghz so need to know if this cooler can do it.

Case
HSF
RAM
MOBO
CPU

Also it will have 2x GTX 480 which is why I want to know about the PSU and mobo. Like will it have enough power for all that ? Could I get PSU with less Watts ?

I will be adding another fan on the case on the side

Solution
The Cooler Master hyper 212 plus cooler will take you to around 3.8 Ghz, but after that, the heat is too much for it. Here is a model for only a couple $ more that should do better: ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa

Here is another Antec case for only $18 more, after rebate: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower

Here is a combo package for the CPU that upgrades the motherboard to an EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR LGA 1366 for only $3 more. EVGA is not really the best high end mobo maker. You might want to consider ASUS or Gigabyte. You are able to get better PCIe slots with this ASUS P6T LGA 1366 mobo/CPU combo.

Consider slightly more expensive memory: G.SKILL PI...

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
The Cooler Master hyper 212 plus cooler will take you to around 3.8 Ghz, but after that, the heat is too much for it. Here is a model for only a couple $ more that should do better: ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa

Here is another Antec case for only $18 more, after rebate: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower

Here is a combo package for the CPU that upgrades the motherboard to an EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR LGA 1366 for only $3 more. EVGA is not really the best high end mobo maker. You might want to consider ASUS or Gigabyte. You are able to get better PCIe slots with this ASUS P6T LGA 1366 mobo/CPU combo.

Consider slightly more expensive memory: G.SKILL PI Series 6GB DDR3 1600 for $155. This stuff has lower voltage at 1.5v and lower latency. Both will help you overclock that i7-930, especially because it is not unlocked.

Just an observation on the overclocking: I have an i7-920 that has been tweaked to 4.2 Ghz, but for everyday use, I have it running at 3.3 Ghz. Above that involves extra heat, and more wear and tear. Plus, the the performance advantage is not that great.

Let's see, the GTX 480 is about the biggest power draw for a GPU. Might need a new junction box into you rhouse for it (just kidding). Do not look at any PSU less than 1000W. According to this Antec Power Supply Calculator, it is recommending 904W. Here si a good price on a highly rated unit: CORSAIR HX Series 1000W for $192 after rebate.

Solution

ulycarr

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Thanks for the review of my selection, it looks really good although its $100 over what I'm really looking for, but that's fine as I think I'd rather wait and save some more for these parts that you have selected.

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
evongugg, are you thinking a single GTX 480 maybe? Just adding in the second graphics card pushed power consumption to 686W. You need to add in the fact that ulycarr wants to overclock. I also factored 20 percent for aging capacitors.