Sign in with
Your question

Intel i5 system Home Build.

Last response: in Systems
September 28, 2010 11:53:43 PM

Newbie to boards, first time intel build.
Have built 4 or 5 amd systems over the years.

New Build will be

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
(PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

ASUS P7P55D-E LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s
USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156
95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

I can get mobo, cpu, ram & win7 for just over 500 at new egg.

Going to put parts listed below into new build.

Antec Solution SLK2650-BQE Black Steel

LOGISYS Computer PS575XBK 575W
ATX12V SLI Ready Power Supply,
only 2 yrs old, bought to replace a 350PS that came with this case.

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS bought in 2008
150GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Have thought about SSD drive, but cost is prohibitive at this point.

ATI 100-714131 Radeon X600PRO 256MB

A couple of quick questions.
I have checked the ASus web site for recommended memory and they have other corsair mem listed, but not this mem, there pdf info is very limited and a year old. Should I check for some other type of mem?

Will my ati card work in this system?

Is there any known issues with Asus mobo? This board I saw recommended by toms hardware. One thing I saw in reviews at newegg, people mentioned you needed to update the bios, because of usb ports not being recommend. But that seemed to only be a problem with a older mobo and newer cpu or the opposite.

I built one of my first amd systems with a Asus board and it died after 4 or 5 months, and never got ASUS to replace the mobo. They basically gave me the run around. Since that time have used Gigabyte and MSI. However this board seems to be the best for upgrading. it has the usb 3.0 and 6gb sata on board, spidf output, along with usb and firewire output connectors on back.

I am willing to give them one more try. Any suggestions or recommendations of different components would be appreciated.

Thanks
daryl

a b B Homebuilt system
October 4, 2010 7:31:30 PM

Gigabyte and MSI are also good brands. ASUS's customer support isn't the greatest, so your experiences with them don't surprise me in the least.

Your memory is fine; you don't need to go with what the manufacturer recommends, since any DDR3 1600MHz 2x2GB set would work. You could even go with a cheaper set since your build doesn't sound like its being used for high performance apps. G.Skill and Kingston have some good value sets that are very reliable, and cheap of course. You won't see a noticeable difference between Corsair and another quality brand.

On newegg, I haven't seen any reviewers stating a need for a BIOS update. You are looking at this one, right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you can get a cheap W7 Upgrade, it should install fine on a clean system. Both of mine did ;) 

The ATI card should work, but I don't know why you're saving such an old card. Granted it works, but if you plan on doing any applications that really require a graphics card, I doubt it will meet minimum specs.
m
l
October 13, 2010 5:16:37 AM

Some good replies guys and good suggestions. I might have confused the bios update with another board.

The reviews for win 7 seem to imply that you needed to have vista.

My Ati card is only a few yrs old, probably will stick to it for now.

Was trying to keep a cheap install to around 500.

I went with the gigabyte board because they have did good for me over the years. The only problem I had with MSI was mostly my fault, after I moved, somehow noticed the cpu and heatsink are lose on my msi board. Looks like I broke the plastic hook that holds the metal clip for the heat sink. Asus board was one of the first boards I used, for my amd build 7 yrs ago, and died within 6 months, poor customer service, I will never own one again if I can avoid it.

Thanks guys
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 13, 2010 5:24:19 PM

I used a W7 Pro upgrade to install clean on my build. It works fine and activated.
m
l
!