Hello I got 2gb USB as a gift sort of item (it is a usb attached to a carved piece of wood so there is no lock to turn on or off and also no well to tell manufacturer). It stopped working after I was quickly transferring files from my desktop to laptop without using the safe eject method - I rarely use this method as I never had any problems before and I was in a rush, but this time something seems to have broken the drive. Since it is unique I've been trying to salvage it but absolutely nothing is working.
Here is just a short list of the methods that have NOT worked...
1. windows format (first few times it just said windows couldn't format it, after awhile it stopped trying giving error message that the disk is write protected)
2. going to regedit and changing write protect to 0 (At first the device policies wasn't showing up but after awhile it did, I changed the value but nothing was fixed and I still get the write protected error)
3. running apacer repair (it cannot find the disk)
4. using disk management to delete and recreate the partition (I cannot select a delete option)
5. using hdd low level format tool (I automatically get numerous format errors occurred at offset)
6. using disable usb write (didn't seem to do anything)
7. using hs2.0 utility lformat (device not found)
8. using cmd prompt (says the file system is RAW and says the volume is write protected)
9. using hp windows format utility (at first just failed, now doesn't even try saying disk is write protected)
10. restarting computer using boot options screen to use cmd prompt (fails)
I'm also sure there are more programs I tried. I've basically searched google for a few hours and tried every highly rated suggestion, none of them worked. I don't have any important files on the drive, I just want to be able to use it again
ps. Not sure if it matters but I am running windows 8 pro, and my friend also sent me the link to the product so you can see what it looks like
<1>. Remove the write protection at first.
Professional speaking, write protection is a function that can only allow one to read the inner data instead of any changes to the inner data, including format it. Therefore, you have no choice but to remove it at first for all your following operation.
If you cannot find the general switch on one side of this USB to unlock it, you should try this: ***** How to Remove Write Protection from a USB Drive ***** <2>. Recover your data.
After all these operation to your drive, your inner data may be damaged or inaccessible. Therefore, your best bet is to apply a free drive recovery tool to help you recover the data. Actually, this freeware has helped me recover my inaccessible data from my drive. It is really worth trying. <3>. Format this drive to make it normal.