ARM Thin Client Embedded

CHariri

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Hello,

I recently bought a thin client, but it unfortunately had WinCE 6.0 pre installed. I contacted the manufacterer in an attempt to understand how to install an os on my own, but they were not helpful in any way. I want to put a Linux distro on it.

I tried many things, but I simply cannot get anything useful out of it. When I power it, it shows a loading screen, before going into WinCE. I tried many hotkeys, but theres none that allowed me to go into bios or something; it just directly boots into WinCE.

The device has the following specs:
CPU: ARM9 800MHZ
RAM/HDD: 128MB

Here are some pictures of it:

http://i.imgur.com/qJzQG.png
The device.

http://i.imgur.com/XIH5W.png
The motherboard.
A. Are jumpers J15-J17. It seems as there were originally 4 pins here, but they were apparently removed ? I dont know if this enables any 'debug' or 'developer' mode.
B. J13 jumper (13 pins). I found the pins that makes the system reboot, and some other pins to halt before loading os, but nothing really helpful. I thus discovered only the purpose of 4/13 pins of this.
C. A mini usb connector; unfortunately, this is not helpful either as my main computer only detects the thin client AFTER it has booted into WinCE.

I don't know if PXE is possible, never done that before, and I dont think it is supported.

Please Toms hardware, pimp my mobo :D!

bschwand

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Him

I am interested in putting an ARM distribution of linux on one of those thin clients as well. On the picture of the board, the A zone with four pads, would that be a serial port console ? If it is, there might be a bootloader that outputs some messages there, and maybe even a way to reflash the device. Go look on OpenWrt forums how they setup a serial console.

stuff999

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
i am to looking for debugging and rxr tx port on this board, A- is the USB port. i have small usb wifi module connected to it