Sign in with
Your question

CPU fan, physical shock, affecting performance

Last response: in CPUs
December 25, 2010 9:21:50 PM

The CPU fan in my machine recently "broke" (spinning around 400-500 RPM most of the time, sometimes as lows 300 RPM) and while trying to remove it, I somehow managed to knock over the case...and it slammed to the floor.

Is it possible that this could have damaged my PC?

When I compress a total of 4 GiB with 7-Zip, using LZMA/Ultra, both cores (AMD Athlon 64 5200+) show 100% load, but temperatures of only 30 °C and 40 °C. Applications also seem to be somewhat slower, and chew up more of the CPU than they usually do. Scanning the Firefox setup image with ESET took almost 3 minutes with the CPU at full load.

I can watch high resolution videos just fine, even played some games, but occasionally it gets sluggish.
December 25, 2010 9:35:27 PM

It just doesn't make any sense.
a c 172 à CPUs
December 25, 2010 11:38:51 PM

The only thing that you are likely to damage is a hard drive.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2010 11:45:12 PM

A computer either works or it doesn’t, saying that dropping the case to the floor may have damaged the hard drive causing it to be slow in reading data off the hard disk. Try downloading the manufacturer of your hard disk diagnostic utility from the manufactures web site to check this.
December 26, 2010 12:12:20 AM

do a surface scan on your hard drive with a program called super f disk (youll need to make a bootable cd)...
December 30, 2010 7:42:28 PM

I checked my hard drive with Western Digital's diagnostics tool, but I didn't run the advanced test (check for bad sectors) and it passed. Also, when copying large amounts of data (200-400 MiB files) from my S-ATA drive to an external USB, I get 50-60 MiB/s, which is what I usually would get (i.e. limits of USB2).

The problem is when several programs use the hard drive, which is when it goes down to 3-4 MiB/s. Could this maybe have something to do with bad head seeking?

@shovenose: thanks for the tip!
!