Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RAM

Last response: in Motherboards
August 21, 2011 3:08:13 PM

Hello,
I only have one answer so far, I need some more opinions please. The RAM I have is Patriot DDR2 800 (5-5-5-12) MHz, 4 GIG kit 2x 2GB (1.9-2.0V) PC6400 sticks. Both tested and working fine. I have a MSI MS 7310 K9N4 ULTRA F motherboard with two slots for RAM. The slots are different color Yellow and Green. When I have one stick in the green slot the computer boots just fine. When I use both sticks the computer comes up to a black screen and will go no further. The MSI manual for my motherboard says that it supports this RAM in every aspect EXCEPT the voltage. The manual says it supports 1.8V RAM. Is my problem more likely the voltage, or the paired memory in unpaired slots? And can I adjust the BIOS settings to adjust for this, if so how?

The MOBO also has a AMD X64 6000+ CPU with a 475 watt PSU and a 1 GIG videocard

More about : ram

Best solution

a c 78 V Motherboard
August 22, 2011 2:36:20 AM

Try booting to BIOS using one stick. Then see if the BIOS has voltage settings for the memory. If it does, set the RAM voltage to the specs printed on the unused RAM module. While you are in the BIOS, you should look for setting the RAM latencies. If you have those setting selections, you can set the latencies to those shown on the RAM module. Save and exit the BIOS. Disconnect the power cord and install the second RAM module. Then connect the power cord and start the system.
August 25, 2011 1:50:32 PM

treefrog07 said:
Try booting to BIOS using one stick. Then see if the BIOS has voltage settings for the memory. If it does, set the RAM voltage to the specs printed on the unused RAM module. While you are in the BIOS, you should look for setting the RAM latencies. If you have those setting selections, you can set the latencies to those shown on the RAM module. Save and exit the BIOS. Disconnect the power cord and install the second RAM module. Then connect the power cord and start the system.

Hi thanks for the response, I looked into my ram voltage settings on my MOBO I didnt realize I can adjust them. The range is from 1.80-2.10. My RAM label states it is 1.9-2.0V and my MOBO is set at 1.95V. CPUID says I am running at 400MHZ instead of the 800 I expected , I saw that I can adjust that setting in my MOBO too. Since this is all new to me I am leary of changing stuff , but I know it isnt quite right as it stands now either. My MOBO has a bunch of settings I can change for RAM but I dont grasp what they all mean. I am going to call MSI and see if they can offer some advice. I believe you have me going in the right direction now though so thanks!
m
l
August 25, 2011 1:50:47 PM

Best answer selected by bzzzb8.
m
l
!