Sign in with
Your question

Is the eXtreme PSU Calculator accurate?

Last response: in Components
December 25, 2010 10:12:02 PM

I'm asking about http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine .

I want to add more RAM (2 more sticks), another Radeon 6870 (2 total), and some more hard and optical drives to my computer, but I only have 650W from my Seasonic PSU. According to this calculator, those additions, and even with 100% CPU Utilization and 100% component power draw, will only take about 611W.

First, is the calculator accurate? And if so, is 611W pushing the safe-zone?
a b ) Power supply
December 25, 2010 10:34:02 PM

that psu calculator is the most accurate one on the web. however, psu calcs in general are very varied in opinion and not very accurate. and most are highly overstated in an attempt to compensate for some of the crap power supplies out there.

yes, your seasonic 650w can handle that just fine!
m
l
December 26, 2010 1:41:37 AM

It also depends on the brand of PSU as well. You can take a no name brand PSU and a quality brand PSU at the same wattage. The quality one will 9 out of 10 times out perform the no name brand and last a lot longer, garranteed.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 26, 2010 2:10:34 AM

Quote:
You need a 650 Watt power supply unit if you add a second card minimum.

I think you did something wrong. Did you choose 1 or 2 cpu? Leave the load settings as it is on the calculator just add your devices. You should get around the 400 mark. Now I always x2 that total by 2 to give headroom and to keep the powersupply running at 80 percent efficiency because the manufacturers guarantee that efficiency because they expect you to run it at 50 percent load.

Anything from 650 upwards will be fine but remember the higher you go the more headroom you will have and a lower powerbill. So its basically a choice between saving 30. Bucks now and saving a whole lot more later on.

But the good news is that you got a good brand psu. Their not in the class of Corsair or Thermalake but their almost there. So that psu will be fine.
bullshit! thermaltake psus are usually not very good.
and seasonic is better and/or the same quality as corsair.

and dont keep posting that addx2 bs. and you will NOT save that much in the long run at all, tops maybe $5 by running a good psu at peak efficiency because peak efficiency (at say 60% wont be much higher than efficiency at %80 load...

dadiggle youve got to stop saying the same wrong info over and over again
m
l
!