Exchange 880G for 890FX

G

Ok, I went to the local Microcenter last night and bought an AMD Bundle. Phenom IIx4 965 and MSI 880G-E45. I specifically asked for a board that supports SATA III. I was told the 880 board offers the latest SATA controller. In fact, when I asked of additional features offered with 890 board. It was explained that the only feature gained would be USB 3.0.
So, I have now installed this 880 board and obviously find there is no support for SATA III. I compared boards at MSI website this morning to learn that I have just bought a 710 Southbridge. In addition, would need an 850 Southbridge to take advantage of the newest SATA or USB features.
A lesson learned in listening to and relying on information from Sales Associate. Who should be held more accountable? Myself for not doing any research on products or the Sales team for not knowing either?

Should I use the money I saved on the bundle for an SSD and just go with it as is. Or disassemble my new system and return to the store for an exchange. Basically I saved $100 on this bundle and can either spend it on an SSD or an upgrade to a SB850. For all I know the store may offer a discount within the exchange process.

Thank You

Solution
Since you specifically asked for a board that supports SATA III you should exchange the board for an 890.

If you stick with the board then purchase a SATA II SSD. A SATA III SSD will work, but will only see SATA II speeds.
Since you specifically asked for a board that supports SATA III you should exchange the board for an 890.

If you stick with the board then purchase a SATA II SSD. A SATA III SSD will work, but will only see SATA II speeds.

Solution