Reusing my current HD

jthill909

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Tommorow, I'm rebuilding my gaming computer with an i5-3570k and I'm really excited. The only thing is, I am reusing my current 500gb HD in my rebuild as my boot and storage drive and I don't know how to go about formatting the drive while I'm still using it in my current machine. I am currently using the majority of the drive(really need to upgrade), but I don't have any files that I need to keep as the computer is strictly used for gaming.

So, could I just create a partition to install my OS tommorrow and then format the current partition? Is there any way to then combine the two partitions?

Solution
No need of anything . Tomorrow..... whenever you plug this old 500gigs into the new rig, when you boot into the Windows OS disc in the optical drive you will be asked if you want to delete all partitions and data on the drive where you want to install the OS.
All you need to do then is to say yes....
Of course you will need to boot from the Optical drive or a USB Windows Installation stick.
Let me make sure I understand what you are asking. You want to reinstall the OS on a new partition and then format the second partition. Did you plan to copy anything from the second partition to the first? If not, then just do a clean install and avoid having to create a second partition. Whichever method you choose you need to remember that you will need to reinstall the motherboard drivers and other drivers such as the video card driver.

No need of anything . Tomorrow..... whenever you plug this old 500gigs into the new rig, when you boot into the Windows OS disc in the optical drive you will be asked if you want to delete all partitions and data on the drive where you want to install the OS.
All you need to do then is to say yes....
Of course you will need to boot from the Optical drive or a USB Windows Installation stick.

Solution

jthill909

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Thanks, that's all I needed to know.

TRENDING THREADS