Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Bus Speed Problem

Last response: in CPUs
December 26, 2010 1:14:25 AM

Hello, I just installed an AMD phenom II X2 555 Black Edition into my ASUS M2n68-AM SE2 motherboard. It works fine, but the hyper transport link according to BiOS and CPU-Z is 1000 mhz. My motherboard has support up to 2000mhz, and the cpu is stock 2000mhz, so why isn't it working at that speed? The only thing I can think of is that since my mobo is an AM2+ motherboard and the cpu is designed for AM3, it decreases the HT Link for some reason? The CPU model is on the manufacturer website, so I know it is compatible. It only calls for a BiOS version of 1002, and mine is 1409. Here is the website if you want to look: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpu_support_right.as...
So, any ideas? Thanks so much for the help!
December 26, 2010 1:56:17 AM

Quote:
HTT provides a dedicated high speed low latency pathway for cuips to communicate with each other. It is fullly scalable from 1X such as your PCIe 1X slot to 16X such as your PCIe 16X slot. What makes it so powerful is that data can be transmitted both ways simultaneously on a HTT link since each link is a dedictaed data path unlike PCI where you share the data path. So in effect the above 1,000MHZ speed is actually a 2,000MHZ speed since your components can talk simultaneously with each other

That is a good point, but if u google something like "AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition CPU-Z" you will clearly see that the under HT Link it says 2000. Mine only says 1000.
m
l
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2010 12:22:44 PM

mclizardman said:
Hello, I just installed an AMD phenom II X2 555 Black Edition into my ASUS M2n68-AM SE2 motherboard. It works fine, but the hyper transport link according to BiOS and CPU-Z is 1000 mhz. My motherboard has support up to 2000mhz, and the cpu is stock 2000mhz, so why isn't it working at that speed? The only thing I can think of is that since my mobo is an AM2+ motherboard and the cpu is designed for AM3, it decreases the HT Link for some reason? The CPU model is on the manufacturer website, so I know it is compatible. It only calls for a BiOS version of 1002, and mine is 1409. Here is the website if you want to look: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpu_support_right.as...
So, any ideas? Thanks so much for the help!

You're fine.

The HT Link is simply a conduit, or pipe, and there is a little confusion, here ...

Your HT link is 1000MHz on that nVidia motherboard. You have confused the bi-directional *2000 MT/s* (effectively, memory reads and writes can occur concurrently across the link).

The PhII 555 is capable of 2000MHz-4000MT/s but that 'old' nVidia chipset with HT2 is only rated at half that speed.

What that means is that you have half the theoretical bandwidth available to you (generally 10GB/s+ as opposed to 20GB/s+ with HT3).

If you feel you have an issue with memory bandwidth you may:

1) OC the IMC/NB; or
2) Buy an AMD chipset motherboard. :lol: 

m
l
December 26, 2010 7:29:13 PM

Thanks for all the replies, problem solved. I was checking the specs for my motherboard online. They sadi the ht speed was 200mhz, it is actually 2000 mt/s. So, that solves that. Thanks!
m
l
!