Overclocking...will it melt my psu plug?

shovenose

Distinguished
im overclocking a p4 640 3.2ghz with ht right now at about 3.6ghz stable (so far, 5mins p95)

should i be worried about melting the 4pin cpu power connector from my lite-on 250w psu?

Solution
What are your temps? Use hwmonitor or similar

When you pushed the FSB, did you drop the memory multiplier? If not the memory may be well over spec.

A high pitched noise from the voltage system is generally normal as there are coils that can vibrate(some worse then others). Many board(K8V SE,770T USB3 and even X58A-UD5) and even video cards(X1900XT,8800GTX) do this on stock settings. I would still keep an eye on it as you are pushing it harder.

A single thread of f@h does not significantly lower stress on the system as the second core is fake so to speak. While windows sees an extra core it is fact just a small part of the chip that allows this to happen, major work is still done by the one core in the cpu. I am not saying there are...

It depends on what else is using the +12 volts!
I would not be worried though.

shovenose

Distinguished
ok, could you help me!
full specs:
300w asus/bestec psu (the lite-on worried me)
p4 640 (lga775)
dfi 865 chipset
quadro 700 (agp)
1gb supertalent pc3200 (ddr)

what is holding me back?
it makes error after like 15mins in p95!
look at my settings, what do i need to increase?
1004451.jpg

You have to pull lots of power to melt the plug. Chances are you will burn the boards voltage regulators first. The power supply also has safeties to prevent you drawing too much power.

P4's tend to take a fair bit of power, watch you do not overload that power supply.

As for stability. Voltage(you over do this, you get too much heat) and heat(too hot, you cause damage) are 2 main factors, but not all cpus overclock well. Some go way farther then others.

Good luck.

shovenose

Distinguished
so it seems stable at those settings - it was good for an hour of prime95, now im running the f@h single-core client, so with ht on thats only 50% cpu load, so i wont be stressing the mobo so much. i think my questions were answered, but if anyone has any other advice/suggestions, that might sway my decision for best answerer (not sure right now)

What are your temps? Use hwmonitor or similar

When you pushed the FSB, did you drop the memory multiplier? If not the memory may be well over spec.

A high pitched noise from the voltage system is generally normal as there are coils that can vibrate(some worse then others). Many board(K8V SE,770T USB3 and even X58A-UD5) and even video cards(X1900XT,8800GTX) do this on stock settings. I would still keep an eye on it as you are pushing it harder.

A single thread of f@h does not significantly lower stress on the system as the second core is fake so to speak. While windows sees an extra core it is fact just a small part of the chip that allows this to happen, major work is still done by the one core in the cpu. I am not saying there are not advantages to HT.

Solution