Replace hard drive to ssd in hp dm4

johnwhite7

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

thank you!

johnwhite7

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227792&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

I ordered this if I have any problems maybe i could tap your knowledge

I'll be glad to help if you need help.

johnwhite7

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
i have a silly question. When I buy a computer they have the hard drive with so much usuable memory and a sectioncalled recovery. I am assuming this where you have a back of the OS stored? What good it the backup if you hard drive is lunched? you cant get it to run anyway? Also when you get you new computer they say make a back up disc what is on it ? Os and what ? booting instructions ? or what. Is it the whole windows version you bought with the computer? i am confussed how it works. ex. If my new SSD comes and i load it with windows7 and make a back up do i neeed a section on my hard drive for this "restore"? it seems to me just wasted memory used on my SSD? or i am missing somethng hahahahahah which is probaby the case
john jsw17707@yahoo.com
thanks

You do not have to set aside a partition on the new SSD for system recovery. The recovery partition that you see when buying a new computer is so that you can do a factory reset of the computer. The OS on the restore partition is the OS that orginally came with the computer. When you recover using the restore partition it sets the computer back like it was the day you purchased it. If the hard drive is "lunched" as you say then the restore partition probably won't do you any good. With Windows 7 you can go into Backup and Restore to create a disk image and a repair disk. Once you have all the drivers installed I strongly suggest you create a disk image. Creating a repair disk is not a bad idea either.

johnwhite7

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
thanks ken the reason i was interested was because i am going from a 500 g hard drive to a 250 SSD.Which i am sure will be enough but i was thinking that if i have a window7 disk why take up valueable room on SSD for two windows7 programs one being a back up
do the Disk image and repair disks need to be dvds

Yes, you should put the repair disk(s) on DVD. The disk image is another story as it may not fit on a DVD or you won't be able to span it over several DVDs but I can't say for sure as I save disk images to an external hard drive.

TRENDING THREADS