Are Chinese Batteries any good?

I'm looking for a lithium battery for my palmtop.
I'm finding 3:1 price difference from various sources.
The cheaper ones are made in China. Expensive ones appear
to be made in Japan. Middle ground...who knows.

I'm looking for long run time, but saving 2/3 has its appeal.

Anybody got experience with Chinese aftermarket lithium batteries?
Thanks, mike
--
Return address is VALID.
Wanted, Slot 1 Motherboard

    mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
    >The cheaper ones are made in China.

    There may be quality control, engineering, and safety issues,
    apparently exploding Lithium batteries can be pretty nasty. In
    general, you probably get what you pay for...

    In article <41D96702.8040808@netscape.net>, mike <spamme0@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    > I'm looking for a lithium battery for my palmtop.
    > I'm finding 3:1 price difference from various sources.
    > The cheaper ones are made in China. Expensive ones appear
    > to be made in Japan. Middle ground...who knows.
    >
    > I'm looking for long run time, but saving 2/3 has its appeal.
    >
    > Anybody got experience with Chinese aftermarket lithium batteries?

    Less in performance. But if you buy 2 Chinese units, I'd think that
    you'll make a saving with a longer total run time. ;)

    The difference in price between batteries in the u.k. and Hong Kong is
    incredible - I can't see how the extra run time can justify the difference,
    myself.

    Duncan.

    Duncan J Murray wrote:
    > The difference in price between batteries in the u.k. and Hong Kong is
    > incredible - I can't see how the extra run time can justify the difference,
    > myself.

    Depends entirely on how much difference?
    Can't easily swap batteries, it's internal to the pda, so getting two
    doesn't help.
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID.
    Wanted, Slot 1 Motherboard
    500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
    http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

    I don't know that you can equate country to quality. There may very
    well be "good" Chinese batteries, and "bad" Chinese batteries.

    However, you most often get more or less what you pay for.

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > I don't know that you can equate country to quality. There may very
    > well be "good" Chinese batteries, and "bad" Chinese batteries.
    >
    > However, you most often get more or less what you pay for.
    >

    > mike wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a lithium battery for my palmtop.
    >> I'm finding 3:1 price difference from various sources.
    >> The cheaper ones are made in China. Expensive ones appear
    >> to be made in Japan. Middle ground...who knows.
    >>
    >> I'm looking for long run time, but saving 2/3 has its appeal.
    >>
    >> Anybody got experience with Chinese aftermarket lithium batteries?
    >> Thanks, mike

    Seems that we've empirically determined that nobody has ever bought
    a Chinese Battery.
    We've also determined that
    you might get what you pay for
    Some things are good, others might be bad.
    Sigh!
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID.
    http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html

    In article <41DBAE3E.1080904@netscape.net>, mike <spamme0@netscape.net>
    wrote:

    > Seems that we've empirically determined that nobody has ever bought
    > a Chinese Battery.
    > We've also determined that
    > you might get what you pay for
    > Some things are good, others might be bad.
    > Sigh!

    Yep, you've got the truth on Usenet!

    Maybe one has to be a party member to buy thsese babies? :D

    Sure, in a macro level, USA-stuff have gone through the FDA, DBA, UL
    blah-blah, and so the chances of it blowing up is pretty slim. And if
    found defective (it happened before, to Apple), they will recall, and
    fix no charge.

    BTW, if Chinese batteries are found to blow up, even one, it would be
    all over the news, Mowry Povick's, 24-hours CNN.

    OTOH, Lion batteries in 2005 are pretty mature product. I'd venture to
    guess that they have worked all the kinks out of them (no just the
    battery itself, but the charging circuitry, the whole sealed package).
    Heck I'd say they are commodity products.

    Do whatever makes you, and your wallet, comfortable, but at less than
    $50%, I'd give them a try.

    Just don't buy used ones.

    bobb <None@NoWhere.com> wrote:
    >BTW, if Chinese batteries are found to blow up, even one, it would be
    >all over the news, Mowry Povick's, 24-hours CNN.

    Dunno about country of origin, but:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=exploding+lithium+batteries&btnG=Google+Search

Laptops