Are Chinese Batteries any good?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 3, 2005 10:38:42 AM

I'm looking for a lithium battery for my palmtop.
I'm finding 3:1 price difference from various sources.
The cheaper ones are made in China. Expensive ones appear
to be made in Japan. Middle ground...who knows.

I'm looking for long run time, but saving 2/3 has its appeal.

Anybody got experience with Chinese aftermarket lithium batteries?
Thanks, mike
--
Return address is VALID.
Wanted, Slot 1 Motherboard

More about : chinese batteries good

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 3, 2005 4:23:17 PM

mike <spamme0@netscape.net> wrote:
>The cheaper ones are made in China.

There may be quality control, engineering, and safety issues,
apparently exploding Lithium batteries can be pretty nasty. In
general, you probably get what you pay for...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 3, 2005 6:45:45 PM

In article <41D96702.8040808@netscape.net>, mike <spamme0@netscape.net>
wrote:

> I'm looking for a lithium battery for my palmtop.
> I'm finding 3:1 price difference from various sources.
> The cheaper ones are made in China. Expensive ones appear
> to be made in Japan. Middle ground...who knows.
>
> I'm looking for long run time, but saving 2/3 has its appeal.
>
> Anybody got experience with Chinese aftermarket lithium batteries?

Less in performance. But if you buy 2 Chinese units, I'd think that
you'll make a saving with a longer total run time. ;)

a b D Laptop
January 3, 2005 8:58:43 PM

The difference in price between batteries in the u.k. and Hong Kong is
incredible - I can't see how the extra run time can justify the difference,
myself.

Duncan.

"Whytoi" <whytoi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <41D96702.8040808@netscape.net>, mike <spamme0@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a lithium battery for my palmtop.
>> I'm finding 3:1 price difference from various sources.
>> The cheaper ones are made in China. Expensive ones appear
>> to be made in Japan. Middle ground...who knows.
>>
>> I'm looking for long run time, but saving 2/3 has its appeal.
>>
>> Anybody got experience with Chinese aftermarket lithium batteries?
>
> Less in performance. But if you buy 2 Chinese units, I'd think that
> you'll make a saving with a longer total run time. ;)
>
> --
January 3, 2005 8:58:44 PM

Duncan J Murray wrote:
> The difference in price between batteries in the u.k. and Hong Kong is
> incredible - I can't see how the extra run time can justify the difference,
> myself.

Depends entirely on how much difference?
Can't easily swap batteries, it's internal to the pda, so getting two
doesn't help.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Wanted, Slot 1 Motherboard
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 8:31:06 AM

I don't know that you can equate country to quality. There may very
well be "good" Chinese batteries, and "bad" Chinese batteries.

However, you most often get more or less what you pay for.

mike wrote:

> I'm looking for a lithium battery for my palmtop.
> I'm finding 3:1 price difference from various sources.
> The cheaper ones are made in China. Expensive ones appear
> to be made in Japan. Middle ground...who knows.
>
> I'm looking for long run time, but saving 2/3 has its appeal.
>
> Anybody got experience with Chinese aftermarket lithium batteries?
> Thanks, mike
January 5, 2005 8:31:07 AM

Barry Watzman wrote:
> I don't know that you can equate country to quality. There may very
> well be "good" Chinese batteries, and "bad" Chinese batteries.
>
> However, you most often get more or less what you pay for.
>

> mike wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a lithium battery for my palmtop.
>> I'm finding 3:1 price difference from various sources.
>> The cheaper ones are made in China. Expensive ones appear
>> to be made in Japan. Middle ground...who knows.
>>
>> I'm looking for long run time, but saving 2/3 has its appeal.
>>
>> Anybody got experience with Chinese aftermarket lithium batteries?
>> Thanks, mike

Seems that we've empirically determined that nobody has ever bought
a Chinese Battery.
We've also determined that
you might get what you pay for
Some things are good, others might be bad.
Sigh!
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/te.html
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 12:35:45 PM

In article <41DBAE3E.1080904@netscape.net>, mike <spamme0@netscape.net>
wrote:

> Seems that we've empirically determined that nobody has ever bought
> a Chinese Battery.
> We've also determined that
> you might get what you pay for
> Some things are good, others might be bad.
> Sigh!

Yep, you've got the truth on Usenet!

a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 3:01:54 PM

Maybe one has to be a party member to buy thsese babies? :D

Sure, in a macro level, USA-stuff have gone through the FDA, DBA, UL
blah-blah, and so the chances of it blowing up is pretty slim. And if
found defective (it happened before, to Apple), they will recall, and
fix no charge.

BTW, if Chinese batteries are found to blow up, even one, it would be
all over the news, Mowry Povick's, 24-hours CNN.

OTOH, Lion batteries in 2005 are pretty mature product. I'd venture to
guess that they have worked all the kinks out of them (no just the
battery itself, but the charging circuitry, the whole sealed package).
Heck I'd say they are commodity products.

Do whatever makes you, and your wallet, comfortable, but at less than
$50%, I'd give them a try.

Just don't buy used ones.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 8:26:08 PM

bobb <None@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>BTW, if Chinese batteries are found to blow up, even one, it would be
>all over the news, Mowry Povick's, 24-hours CNN.

Dunno about country of origin, but:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=exploding+lithium+...
!