Laptop Cannot Join Domain

Hello:

I'm trying to configure a co-workers laptop to join our domain but I cannot
do this as the domain name is greyed out. For example, when I try to change
the laptop from the current workgroup to a domain, the section to enter the
domain name remains greyed out.

Currently running on a wireless connection, but I disabled it and tried
configuring with a landline connection but still does not work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is a brand new job for
me and I'd like to make a good impression with your assistance of course.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about laptop join domain

    Is the notebook running XP Home or XP Pro?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "SertaBob" <SertaBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > I'm trying to configure a co-workers laptop to join our domain but I
    > cannot
    > do this as the domain name is greyed out. For example, when I try to
    > change
    > the laptop from the current workgroup to a domain, the section to enter
    > the
    > domain name remains greyed out.
    >
    > Currently running on a wireless connection, but I disabled it and tried
    > configuring with a landline connection but still does not work.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is a brand new job
    > for
    > me and I'd like to make a good impression with your assistance of course.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Cari:

    notebook is running XP Media Center Edition

    SertaBob wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > I'm trying to configure a co-workers laptop to join our
    > domain but I cannot do this as the domain name is greyed
    > out. For example, when I try to change the laptop from the
    > current workgroup to a domain, the section to enter the
    > domain name remains greyed out.
    >
    > Currently running on a wireless connection, but I disabled
    > it and tried configuring with a landline connection but
    > still does not work.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is a
    > brand new job for me and I'd like to make a good impression
    > with your assistance of course.
    >
    > Thanks

    Neither Windows XP Home Edition or Media Center Edition can be
    joined to a domain. Only XP Professional Edition has this
    capability. You would need to upgrade this laptop to XP Pro in
    order to join it to your domain.

    You cannot join your computer to a domain in Windows XP Media
    Center Edition 2005
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887212

    Why Windows XP Professional is Best for Domain-Based Networks
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/overviews/joindommore.mspx

    Nepatsfan

    Thank you...My co-worker and I were not aware of that.

    SertaBob wrote:
    > Thank you...My co-worker and I were not aware of that.

    You're welcome. Good luck with the new job.

    Nepatsfan

    > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    >
    >> SertaBob wrote:
    >>> Hello:
    >>>
    >>> I'm trying to configure a co-workers laptop to join our
    >>> domain but I cannot do this as the domain name is greyed
    >>> out. For example, when I try to change the laptop from the
    >>> current workgroup to a domain, the section to enter the
    >>> domain name remains greyed out.
    >>>
    >>> Currently running on a wireless connection, but I disabled
    >>> it and tried configuring with a landline connection but
    >>> still does not work.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is a
    >>> brand new job for me and I'd like to make a good impression
    >>> with your assistance of course.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>
    >> Neither Windows XP Home Edition or Media Center Edition can
    >> be joined to a domain. Only XP Professional Edition has this
    >> capability. You would need to upgrade this laptop to XP Pro
    >> in order to join it to your domain.
    >>
    >> You cannot join your computer to a domain in Windows XP
    >> Media Center Edition 2005
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887212
    >>
    >> Why Windows XP Professional is Best for Domain-Based
    >> Networks
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/overviews/joindommore.mspx
    >>

    >> Nepatsfan

Configuration Laptops Domain Domain Name Windows XP