Sign in with
Your question

AsRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Ivy Bridge Support

Last response: in Motherboards
August 22, 2011 2:06:41 AM

Hello guys,

I've been literally attracted to the AsRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard and I would like a confirmation on whether it will support the upcoming Ivy Bridge chips. I'm asking because all I've heard from "geeks" over the interwebnets is "supposed to/hopefully" and I haven't got a definitive answer.

Also is there any practical difference between the P67 one and its Z68 couterpart? I don't care about ssd caching or on-chip graphics, so will it be a wiser idea to get the P67? Noting also that I'm on a tight bugdet; so even the $30 price difference will help.

Thanks and any input would be much appreciated.
a c 107 V Motherboard
August 22, 2011 3:57:43 AM

Any consumer *67 or Z68 mainboard can support Ivy with a BIOS update. It's up to the manufacturers as to which boards they will update the BIOS for.

The one and only reason they have those Gen3 mainboards is for Ivy. No other LGA 1155 CPU can do PCIe3.

If you're not going to use Smart Response or the iGPU, you might as well get a P67 board. Without those two features, Z68 is the same as P67.
m
l
August 22, 2011 1:15:50 PM

Thanks a lot for the reply.

So is it advisable to go ahead now and get this board plus a 2500k for example, and use this setup until Ivy Bridge is released? If it is worth it, I might upgrade to Ivy but if it's not, then the 2500K is still a powerful processor and I can live with it.

Or should I just wait for Sandy-Bridge-E and the X79 platform(I can wait), but knowing Intel, their higher end SB-E would be too expensive for me and I won't be able to afford it anyway.

Or should I jump on the Bulldozer bandwagon but what angers me about it is that its platform will only last 1 year with the 10-core Piledriver chips requiring a whole new socket (FM2).

As you guys can see, I'm torn and I have no idea what to do. Is it a bad time to upgrade? Are we in the "tock" level?

Thanks and any help would be much appreciated.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 22, 2011 10:36:34 PM

Sherrah said:
Thanks a lot for the reply.

So is it advisable to go ahead now and get this board plus a 2500k for example, and use this setup until Ivy Bridge is released? If it is worth it, I might upgrade to Ivy but if it's not, then the 2500K is still a powerful processor and I can live with it.

Or should I just wait for Sandy-Bridge-E and the X79 platform(I can wait), but knowing Intel, their higher end SB-E would be too expensive for me and I won't be able to afford it anyway.

Or should I jump on the Bulldozer bandwagon but what angers me about it is that its platform will only last 1 year with the 10-core Piledriver chips requiring a whole new socket (FM2).

As you guys can see, I'm torn and I have no idea what to do. Is it a bad time to upgrade? Are we in the "tock" level?

Thanks and any help would be much appreciated.

reports have bulldozer coming out in late september and sandy bridge-e out in november. No performance benchmarks as of yet so I cannot say if you should wait.

As far as the gen3 asrock mobos - both the extreme4 and extreme7 (with the nf2000 chip for dual x16) are out on newegg.

extreme7:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

extreme4:

extreme 4 gen 3 p67 version:

all will support pcie3 gpu's with ivy bridge.
m
l
!