Laptop battery life comparison with core i5 and core i7

dene

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hello,
I need to putchase a new laptop and there is a significant price diff between i5 and i7 proccessors. I need my laptop for presentaiton, general business and video editing but price is an issue. Battery life is critical Will core i5 give me the performance (at the price) needed with extended batery life & is corei7 a huge drain on battery power. I would appreciate any feedback. Many Thks

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Quad cores will usually take more energy to run than dual cores especially with turbo enabled. Before you buy the laptop call the manufacturer like dell or hp and tell them that your looking at this model and you want to know how the battery life differs between the 2 processors. Most of the time they can tell you one will get 4 hours and the other 3.5 for example.

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
My friend has an Asus N series with an i7 Q820m (ATI 5770m)
And I have an MSI GX740 i5 560m (ATI 5870m)

Although he has a much less power hungry video card.
My laptop still has 2,5 hour battery life, instead of 1,5 for the ASUS.
You notice the difference pretty well, and nearly don't notice the speed in everyday use.

Even in gaming it doesn't even matter a lot...

skaz

Distinguished

Main points to hit on. Price, Battery Life, and Video editing. If you want the best performance for editing videos you will find it with the i7. Not to say the i5 is a slacker but the i7 will outperform the i5. But with a sacrifice to the Battery Life. So the question is where do you want to spend the extra money? Battery life or performance?

If batter life then focus on something with an i5 but even more importantly a GOOD battery. =). example: toshiba portege line, lenovo thinkpads, new samy series 9.

If performance then go with the i7.

TIP: When shopping around always make sure to look up reviews that give real life battery life ratings and don't go by the manufacture's rating.

shrkbay

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
^+1

i7 beats i5 always and everywhere, but the difference is not that big if you compare Quad Cores, usually i5 is less power-hungry and that would also be a big plus, if money is an issue and battery is critical, then i5 is way to go ;)