Sign in with
Your question

Busted+Upgrade.

Last response: in Systems
September 29, 2010 8:35:58 AM

Alright, so i had a e5200 @ 3.5GHz, a gigabyte g41m-es2l mobo, 2x2GB (DDR2) Kingston RAM, and a HD5770 GFX-card. Then i was testing out a boot disk which had an error and crashed the computer. The bios was then somehow coprrupted/edited so that the default values werent the true default, and i cooked my computer :fou:  also the bios saved itself to my harddrive overwriting some file which stuffed up 2 operating systems of my multi-boot.
Anyways, got it all up and running again (BIOS flash, OS reinstall). RAM was well and truly cooked, replaced with some old ones lying around (tested and working). I cant OC my computer at all now. I even tried putting it from default 2.5GHz up to a relatively measly 3GHz, but after a few minutes in Prime, i always end up with a weird pixilated screen that looks like a static TV with a green tint to it; then my computer reboots.

1st question: I have a hunch the CPU is par-cooked. Does anyone back me up on this?
2nd question: How can i be sure i havent par-cooked my GPU? Really dont want to have done that. . .
3rd question: How do i make sure its not my mobo thats cooked?
4th question: Since its fine when not under pressure, i know someone who could do with the CPU+mobo+RAM, since they wont push it too hard. So what do i replace them with? Any recomendations? I have plenty of power, space and air cooling. ddr3 would be nice, and would still like to fit my HD5770 in it. So hit me up with some combo's :D 
EDIT: Should mension that im on a budget, so no $1000 CPU's. If i can get all of it for $300ish, that'd be nice.

More about : busted upgrade

September 29, 2010 2:58:31 PM

I am not sure what is causing the problem, it could be anything you have mentioned. Including the PSU. Try to rule that out before you do anything.
here is a good setup, it is about $410, $400 -$10 mail in rebate for motherboard.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU
i5 750

memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

I would try the video card in another PC to see if it works, if it dont and you still have the option to RMA through the manufacturer, I would RMA and get a new one. [:bohleyk:1]
Related resources
September 29, 2010 11:48:48 PM

GFX-card is probably just over 4 months old, RMA doesnt last that long, does it?
And PSU is pretty well brand new, so no problems there. And graphics card seems to work fine, only the computer stalls when i try and re-OC the CPU, so reckon its either that or the mobo connections.

Cheers for the suggestions. Looking at a continual upgrade (piece by piece) for my system, is the SLI board the way to go then?

Thanks again.
September 30, 2010 12:08:50 AM

If you registered it with the manufacturer then it should.
As for the motherboard I would go with the SLI/crossfire board. It will probably last you longer for games simply because you can run SLI/crossfire with an extra pcie x16 for physx.
Have you disabled the onboard graphics in the bios, you could also try the on board graphics to rule out the video card. Just remove the video card and use the onboard graphics, run prime95 at 3ghz and see what happens. Try disabling the onbaord graphics first though. Could be nothing wrong at all. If it doesnt crash doesnt mean its the video card though it could still be PSU.
September 30, 2010 3:53:35 AM

Bummer, its not registered with the manufacturer.
Onboard graphics is auto-disabled when my mobo detects GFX-card. I use a HDMI slot which my mobo doesnt even have a port for. Also, with my comp on 2.5GHz (so its stable) i can play every game on full graphics fine (though less RAM isnt helping there :D  ). I guess is my gfx-card is fine (sort of hope, just as much as guess) , but i cant test unless i get a different cord for my monitor.
It only crashes when i OC the computer. But i dont change any of the voltages (i didnt have to running at 3.5 and it was stable, so at 3 should be fine). So could be CPU, or mobo connections. I dont know, guess thats why im asking.

So how do i know its not the PSU? It runs all my fans and everything fine, so no sign of power shortage there. And like i said, i didnt need to change any of the voltages, just turned them off auto and made sure they were OK for the parts i was using. Any tests i can run?
September 30, 2010 12:36:33 PM

You might try to raise your vcore a small amount and see if it works. Make sure your memory dont go much over its native frequency.
The only way to check the PSU is to try it in another PC with about the same configuration as you or buy a good PSU tester.
But it sounds like it will be ok.
September 30, 2010 1:43:07 PM

well, looks like i'll just have to leave it non-OC'd for now until i can replace it with those parts you mentioned. Maybe.

Anyways, thanks for all the help.
September 30, 2010 9:41:40 PM

Have you tried raising vcore?
Have you tried using just one stick of memory at a time? new doesn't mean good.
Run memtest86.
Try you card in a friends PC to rule it out.
!