Sign in with
Your question

Optical mouse not working. Will a replacement work wiv my old receiver

Last response: in Components
December 26, 2010 12:06:27 PM

Hi I have a ms 3000 desktop wireless keyboard and mouse set

The mouse has stopped working and I would like to buy a new one.

Will the same type of mouse work with my existing receiver?

Or do wireless devices use unique frequencies?

The replacement mouse comes with its own usb receiver but I dont want to be running two receivers. ie. one for the mouse and the other for the keyboard.

Thanks
December 26, 2010 12:32:23 PM

Probably not. When I received a new wireless mouse under warranty, I had to run a special software program from the mouse manufacturer to re-program the new mouse to my old usb receiver. It was a little tricky, but a tech talked me through it. I also have to switch out usb ports ocassionally when windows fails to load the usb driver in the proper sequence. It only takes a second to plug in the receiver to another usb port.
December 26, 2010 12:57:14 PM

o1die said:
Probably not. When I received a new wireless mouse under warranty, I had to run a special software program from the mouse manufacturer to re-program the new mouse to my old usb receiver. It was a little tricky, but a tech talked me through it. I also have to switch out usb ports ocassionally when windows fails to load the usb driver in the proper sequence. It only takes a second to plug in the receiver to another usb port.

I dont have the receipt so I cant get it replaced under warranty.

An indential mouse will cost me £12 but then its just a case of knowing whether it will work with the old reciever or not.

Thanks
Related resources
December 26, 2010 2:03:33 PM

Most of the receivers have a push button that you use to get them to work together on the first start up - ie. you press a button on the receiver to set it to receive the keyboard\mouse frequency - and then press a button on the mouse to connect it followed by the button on your keyboard (usually a red button on the back or underside of both) to connect it -- just like the first time you use a Universal remote for your TV or DVD player - this process sets the mouse\keyboard frequency that the receiver will use. -- so YES it should work properly with the old receiver and new Mouse if you go through the process of setting them like you did the first time you used the old mouse !
December 26, 2010 4:20:06 PM

JDFan said:
Most of the receivers have a push button that you use to get them to work together on the first start up - ie. you press a button on the receiver to set it to receive the keyboard\mouse frequency - and then press a button on the mouse to connect it followed by the button on your keyboard (usually a red button on the back or underside of both) to connect it -- just like the first time you use a Universal remote for your TV or DVD player - this process sets the mouse\keyboard frequency that the receiver will use. -- so YES it should work properly with the old receiver and new Mouse if you go through the process of setting them like you did the first time you used the old mouse !

Thanks I'll order one and give it a try. :) 
!