mordax86

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Cpu-z and bios shows my frequency as 616.6 mhz x's 2 = 1232 However the ram is supposed to be @1600.
I just added 4 gigs - BUT they have different timings. So question is: Can I just change the cas lat, tRCD, tRP,and tRAs timings? If so the are the rest ok to leave in auto in the bios? I tried to change the ratio to fsb but that was a failure, so would changing the timings push it back up to the 800mhz? Or should I just forget it?
Currently DIMM 1&2 are 7-7-7-20@1.9v DIMM 3&4 are 9-9-9-25@1.65v I would probably split it down the middle and go 8-8-8-22/23@1.78v or so
Thanks So much in advance for your expertise!!!

Specs are:
MSI NF980-g65
PhenomIIx4 955 @3.8ghz
WD 750 sata III-6.0
Thermaltake Bigwater 780e
1000w coolermaster esa psu
Silverstone esa commander
Sony DVD/CD sata II
8gigs ddr3 1600 patriot memory
2x gtx275 in sli
Killer bigfoot Nic
Asus u3s6 expantion card
Sunbeam card reader
Haf 922 with 6 fans

mordax86

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I bought the low timing ones at least 1 1/2 years ago. Now they dont have the same ones otherwise (obviously) I would have just bought the exact same. No they are not close, but I can adjust that by under and overclocking. I found the answer I was looking for on another forum.
Thanks anyways.

@ Geek LOL! (not at you, just your comment. It made me laugh).

@ OP, as you can see, mixing RAM is a bit of a sensitive subject. This is because of the numerous threads posted asking, more or less, if it is ok to mix. In general, mixing RAM in any system, performance or otherwise, is not a good idea. However, since that isn't really your question, I'll address your concern directly, but first, you should know that 1600 MHz may only be achievable if the RAM specs are correctly (manually) set.

Changing just the timings will not be beneficial, but yes, that is all you need to change. Voltage is also an important factor. The CL7 DIMMs require 1.9V to operate at 1600 MHz, but the CL9 DIMMS only need 1.65. Furthermore, using the CL9 DIMMS at 1.78 may be overkill, meaning too much voltage.

In short, your ultimate goal of using both kits at 1600 MHz may not be achievable because of such a big difference in the required specs to operate each kit at 1600 MHz.

Some points:

1) Just because the RAM is 1600MHz does not mean it will run at 1600MHz. Part of that depends on the motherboard and CPU. For example, some motherboards allow up to 1066MHz unless the CPU is overclocked and then the RAM can be overclocked as well.

2) RAM is rarely the bottleneck and even 1000MHz is usually plenty. I can tell you that 1232MHz will not bottleneck your overclocked CPU. If you wish to test, simply convert a video using Handbrake and look at the Task Manager with View-processes to show all core graphs (4 or 8 graphs. 8 if hyperthreading is enabled).

Your CPU graphs should all reach 100% which means the RAM is sending the data quick enough.

Another test is to run 3DMark or some other gaming benchmark. Run a test at your current RAM speeds then at a SLIGHTLY lower speed and see if they differ. In fact, for fun, drop it to 1000MHz and see how much difference that makes.

3) run MEMTEST for several hours to ensure stability of your RAM.

4) more than 4GB usually provides very little benefit. You'd likely need to be multi-tasking as well as running Photoshop with large, RAW files totalling more than 2GB to see much difference (four RAW files of 50MB with 10 layers each is 2GB).

5) BIOS updates sometimes add RAM profiles. Always update the BIOS.

Summary:
Unless your multi-tasking needs require more than 4GB my advice is keep only the best 4GB of RAM and just keep the rest in a static bag in case of future problems with your RAM.

If MEMTEST is showing no issues you can still keep your RAM for the slight benefit you may receive but I advise against it.

mordax86

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
Thank You guys for your responses!
Multi tasking is a definite must: dreamweaver, blender, gimp, internets, flash, powerbullet and some other programs could all be running at the same time. Not always necessary but useful. Its also nice running programs that consume time while playing games.
Bios doesn't seem to allow me to change voltage as it is set to auto (grayed out)
but I havnt wanted to try messing with stuff that is too far outta my league.
If updating bios will that affect any of my current settings in OS or other?
I cant give a "best answer" as both T_T and photonboy have been extremely helpful. Thanks again.

Updating the BIOS will not change any settings you've made in the OS environment. However, if the BIOS fails to update properly, this will prevent you from booting altogether.

The unfortunate truth about BIOS updates/revisions is that the descriptions aren't always accurate or complete. That said, take a look at the manufacturer's website. If there is an update to your BIOS, read the description of the update and determine if the update applies to your needs. If not, you shouldn't bother with it.