Changing path for action - Right-click on start menu -> Ex..

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Start Menu
  • Windows XP
August 16, 2005 5:59:02 PM

For various reasons that don't need to be included here, I need to give my
users the ability to right-click on the start menu, select Explore... and
have it default to their my computer path. Currently (as is the logical
deduction), performing the above action opens a path to the start menu folder.

Now, we all know the default path for explorer is the My Documents folder,
and we all know that we could change the shortcut target in the Accessories
folder to reflect our desired path, however the necessities of the situation
require the behavior described above, and only that behavior.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? I've pored through the registry and GP
to see if I could find something, with no results.

Thanks in advance!

More about : changing path action click start menu

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 8:34:59 PM

You cannot change this. These are all shortcuts to the 2 Start Menu folders
for the user that is logged on. The User and All Users.

The Start button right click menu contains:
Open
Explore
Properties
Open All Users
Explore All Users
And others depending on what software you have installed.

When right clicking the Start button and selecting Explore, you are not
opening Windows Explorer per se. You are opening a Start Menu folder.

You have four choices of how to open two folders; Open, Explore, Open
All Users and Explore All Users.

Depending on a bunch of settings, generally...
Explore opens folders with Folders pane on the left.
Open opens folders with common tasks showing on the left.

Right click Start button | Open
defaults to %homepath%\Start Menu

Right click Start button | Explore
defaults to %homepath%\Start Menu

Right click Start button | Open All Users
defaults to %allusersprofile%\Start Menu

Right click Start button | Explore All Users
defaults to %allusersprofile%\Start Menu

The whole context menu is for the Start Menu and nothing else.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:EAC63F91-2075-49F8-BA77-4C4E606308BD@microsoft.com,
jelster <jelster@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> For various reasons that don't need to be included here, I need to give my
> users the ability to right-click on the start menu, select Explore... and
> have it default to their my computer path. Currently (as is the logical
> deduction), performing the above action opens a path to the start menu
> folder.
>
> Now, we all know the default path for explorer is the My Documents folder,
> and we all know that we could change the shortcut target in the
> Accessories folder to reflect our desired path, however the necessities
> of the situation require the behavior described above, and only that
> behavior.
>
> Any ideas on how to accomplish this? I've pored through the registry and
> GP to see if I could find something, with no results.
>
> Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:11:25 AM

Yes, that was very helpful - it confirms what I suspceted, but had to verify
to accomplish that whole "due diligence" thing :-)

Thanks for your time.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> You cannot change this. These are all shortcuts to the 2 Start Menu folders
> for the user that is logged on. The User and All Users.
>
> The Start button right click menu contains:
> Open
> Explore
> Properties
> Open All Users
> Explore All Users
> And others depending on what software you have installed.
>
> When right clicking the Start button and selecting Explore, you are not
> opening Windows Explorer per se. You are opening a Start Menu folder.
>
> You have four choices of how to open two folders; Open, Explore, Open
> All Users and Explore All Users.
>
> Depending on a bunch of settings, generally...
> Explore opens folders with Folders pane on the left.
> Open opens folders with common tasks showing on the left.
>
> Right click Start button | Open
> defaults to %homepath%\Start Menu
>
> Right click Start button | Explore
> defaults to %homepath%\Start Menu
>
> Right click Start button | Open All Users
> defaults to %allusersprofile%\Start Menu
>
> Right click Start button | Explore All Users
> defaults to %allusersprofile%\Start Menu
>
> The whole context menu is for the Start Menu and nothing else.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:EAC63F91-2075-49F8-BA77-4C4E606308BD@microsoft.com,
> jelster <jelster@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > For various reasons that don't need to be included here, I need to give my
> > users the ability to right-click on the start menu, select Explore... and
> > have it default to their my computer path. Currently (as is the logical
> > deduction), performing the above action opens a path to the start menu
> > folder.
> >
> > Now, we all know the default path for explorer is the My Documents folder,
> > and we all know that we could change the shortcut target in the
> > Accessories folder to reflect our desired path, however the necessities
> > of the situation require the behavior described above, and only that
> > behavior.
> >
> > Any ideas on how to accomplish this? I've pored through the registry and
> > GP to see if I could find something, with no results.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 2:31:22 PM

You're not the first one to want to do what you wanted to do. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User