Need a low temperature card for a system.

PoignantJ

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Hi. I recently got a new computer with the intent of using it for school work and a bit of gaming, such as SC2. So I went for this system and an upgrade.

HP Pavilion p6510f Desktop: Athlon II 630 Quad-Core (2.8GHz) CPU, 4GB DDR3, 750GB HD, WiFi N, DVDRW w/ Lightscribe, Win 7 Home Premium 64bit $416

My monitor resolution is 1440x900 and I was hoping to upgrade, but while a card such a Radeon 5770 would fit as well as well as upgraded PSU, the problem I have is properly cooling it and my system. I have checked, and their is only one exhaust fan (I believe it is a 92mm) in the bottem rear and no intake fan. In short, the ventilation sucks. :( So in short, I either need to add more cooling or pick a card that runs cooler. I'm hoping you guys and gals could assist in in this problem. I need something powerful to run SC2, and hopefully max it out as well as run it smoothly, but yet cool enough that I don't have to worry about anything overheating.

Or maybe my worries are unfounded.

Thank you guys and gals in advance. :)

Grab a 5750, its slightly lower power and if you get one of the dual slot version with the enclosed cooler it will exhaust its heat out the back rather than back into the case. It will handle SC2 quite well at that resolution, i have a 4850 and a PII 955 that handles 1920x1080 quite well.

The HD5770 is pretty low power. Power used directly translates into the amount of heat given off by the card. I don't think it should give you a problem but to be safe you may want to get one with an enclosed cooler that vents outside the case. To be extra safe get an HD5750 like hunter mentioned as it uses even less power.

PoignantJ

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
I've read that the Radeon 5770 can run as hot as 80 Degrees Celsius. Although that was with weak cooling like what I will have. :( Can suggest one of these enclosed cooler cards that vent outside the case? I have no idea how that would look like. I'd like to take a look at those.

Would it be something like this?

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I can see the vents coming out of the case cooling.

On another note, as far as I can see, it only intakes air from several small sections of holes running on the side of the case. So will air getting into the case to feed these fans be a problem?

Looking at your case I don't think it will be an issue at all. BTW core temperature is another issue entirely from how much heat the card produces. As I said earlier heat is directly related to the amount of power the card uses and all HD5770s are going to use the same power. Core temperature on the other hand just measures how efficiently the cooler manages to remove the heat produced from the GPU processor itself.
As for the card, yes, that is what you are looking for and would be a good choice.