Building a new rig, well maybe...

Shelledfade

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Right now I'm using..

ASUS P5Q pro turbo
8gig ddr2 800 (yeah it was cheap so i got 8gig over 4 lol)
Q9650 quad core overclocked to 3.4ghz
sapphire radeon HD 5970
antec 850 modular psu

So I had a question, would it be worth it to upgrade my mobo//cpu//ram or would the better choice be to wait some more? I'm a gaming enthusiast and there's only a few elements in games//benchmarks// that can throw my system for a spin in terms of high Frame rates//benchmarks and those would be metro 2033 or any game that takes advantage of physics//HT technology which utilizes the cpu more than the gpu.

I want to get an i7 with ddr3 1600 (or better) ram and watercool the cpu to 3.6+ghz, but my main question here is, is it really worth spending 600-700 bucks for this upgrade? Will ddr3 with an i7 cpu really make that much of a difference over my current setup?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum btw, bit confusing navigating around here.

For enthusiasts (since you mentioned that term for yourself) its often about having upto date hardware which may or sometimes may not much sense logically.. In those regards, the upgrade makes sense.. However, from an actual logical point, you have pretty good hardware and so should stick with it.. May be you can get a cheap Nvidia card there to use for physx..

Shelledfade

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

I see. Do you know when the 2011 stuff will come out?

Shelledfade

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
only problem is, I'm not looking to spend over 300 for each new piece of hardware.

And usually when something new gets released its always more expensive than the current stuff that's out lol.