Sign in with
Your question

CPU making weird sounds

Last response: in CPUs
December 26, 2010 3:34:15 PM

Hi guys

I was wondering if any1 could help me out.
My CPU is making this strange noises like scratching, i don't really know how to explain it.
The CPU is a brand new Q8400 on a new Asus motherboard and a new fan.

The sound comes usualy when theres load on the cpu e.g moving a windowed video in Win 7.

Thanks
Chris
a c 81 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2010 3:42:50 PM

How sure are you that the sound is CPU generated..?? It could also be your hard drive creating those sounds..
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2010 5:35:16 PM

Scratching sound? Could be your hard drive or your optical drive. If you hear a clicking sound it's the hard drive and that's a bad sign. Meaning your Hdd is about to fail, better backup soon if the sound is really coming on the Hdd.
Related resources
December 26, 2010 5:35:53 PM

Well I kinda put my ear next to it :) 

It even makes the sound when I mouse-over a open window icon on the taskbar and move the mouse around in the little image.

Atm CPU is running at 38C and fan speed is at 1000rpm so its def not heat related.
But could it be that I did not put the cpu/fan on tight enough?

The only time ive heard this sound was a few years back on my p4 while browsing a folder full of pictures.
December 26, 2010 5:39:50 PM

venjhammet said:
Scratching sound? Could be your hard drive or your optical drive. If you hear a clicking sound it's the hard drive and that's a bad sign. Meaning your Hdd is about to fail, better backup soon if the sound is really coming on the Hdd.

ok not really a scratching sound but something weird :) 
December 26, 2010 7:32:39 PM

So I swapped the CPU fan to a Zalman cooler but the load noise is still there.

Could this be a Power Supply issue , Windows maybe?
December 26, 2010 7:37:52 PM

Hard disk ...

I think it makes noise because of the user, the problem is user caused. So the user need to be replaced.
December 26, 2010 7:49:34 PM

radium69 said:
Hard disk ...

I think it makes noised because of the user, the problem is user caused. So the user need to be replaced.

Neither :) 
December 26, 2010 8:01:43 PM

Quote:
what psu do you have?

Currently using a 500w and i know its too little and i will be buying a new one soon but could that be the problem?

Checklist :

Floppy = No floppy installed

CDROM = No noise

HDD = One newish Sata and one quite old ATA so a bit of noise coming from it

CPU fan = Had brand new Intel installed, swapped to Zalman same prob

GFX card = New 250gts, no noise

RAM = new 2x2gb XMS3 Corsair

CPU = new Q8400

PSU = Aopen 500w no fan noise or anything coming from that.

Mobo = Asus P5G4IC-M LX - new

Im not having any problems performance wise. Black ops, MoH, Mafia 2 running smooth at max , its just damn annoying.
a c 107 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
December 26, 2010 9:23:07 PM

Maybe its a sound scheme or theme in Windows 7.
December 26, 2010 9:43:55 PM

I think it's the neighbours! Do you have pets?
December 26, 2010 11:14:33 PM

What kind of cabling work have you done? Last time I heard a bad noise from my pc it was fan blades brushing against a wire. The best description I could make of the sound was a scratching noise.

Ensure that no wires are making contact with fan. When I first got my i7 I used the stock heatsync/fan. The fan power wire was designed go into little slots along the frame that held the fan. The wires were wrapped too tight and the tip of the fan blades were making contact.

Open up the side of your case and try to pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from. And don't touch anything while the side is opened. There are some things you can touch while your pc is powered but if you don't know what they are you don't find out the hard way.
December 26, 2010 11:24:49 PM

Its a constant sound even moving my mouse around in Chrome i can hear it. It goes louder when theres load added.

Its def not a wire/fan sound. Can irregular voltages from my crappy psu cause the cpu to make this sound?
a c 107 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
December 26, 2010 11:26:25 PM

Does it sound like static? Could be a faulty audio connection.
December 28, 2010 9:24:42 AM

So Yesterday while playing RTW we had a little shutdown and pc wont start up.
Tried PSU in another pc and it seems to have died.
So now i kinda need advice on how much watt i should go for , the same as i had from a better brand? or one with more watt?
a c 107 à CPUs
a c 216 V Motherboard
December 28, 2010 4:31:02 PM

When buying a PSU the first specification you should be looking at is the total DC current of the combined +12 Volt rail(s) that the PSU is able to provide.

A high quality 450 Watt PSU with 40 Amps on the the +12 Volt rail(s) will more than meet your need.

There is no point in using a power supply with a high wattage just to be safe. This leads to lower efficiency. Your nominal/constant power consumption should be 20% or more of the PSU's power rating.

Any brand with Seasonic as the OEM is good. Antec, Arctic Cooling, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling and Seasonic.
December 28, 2010 4:38:17 PM

It's an induction coil either in your PSU, GPU, or mobo. Under heavy load these things may produce something like a squealing sound. Generally this means they are nearing the point of failure, although sometimes they last that way for many months/years.

I had one go out on my GPU once. Not fun.

That PSU is a load of garbage though.
December 29, 2010 8:36:23 PM

Well that psu kept my pc alive for 3 or 4 years :)  got a temp-huntkey atm.
600w 40amp on 12 volt rails
Will be selling it after new years and buying a corsair when my suppliers open.

Thanks for the advice tho

ENjoy the New year
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2012 10:34:09 AM

I can also hear mine, the more it works more sound it makes but mine sounds like data being loaded into a spectrum via tape or a very fast Fax LOL.

I put my ear next to the CPU and its is the CPU but I have no idea why its making the sound. Ive got an AMD 3.6GHZ *8 Only got it today too. I have noticed when its doing some massive process's the sound becomes more high pitch. The CPU's Temp is 42 c on avg and fan is just ticking over at 150 RPM. My fan adjusts its speed depending on temp of CPU OFC.

The only reason I can think of what is causing the noise for mine is the fact it requires 135 watts of power and its got 8 cores running at 3.6 GHZ each. Basically its electrical noise.

I have never heard it from a processor before but this type of noise ive heard back in the days of Sinclair or Amstrad while its loading from a audio tape.

I just hope it won't take up a smoking habit and die LOL.
!