Sign in with
Your question

RAM card randomely stops working

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2010 4:02:35 PM

It's seems that I encounter a problem at every turn ever since I built my computer. Anyway, to get straight to the point, I built a computer starting off with 6gb of DDR3 RAM. For the first few days of running everything was fine unitll I noticed that my memory count has gone down by 2gb. The only way so far that I've found to remedy this is to shut down my PC and remove all 3 RAM cards then re-install them. But the big issue is that this problem has happened quite a few times now and to be honest, it's starting to become a pain in the ass to repeat the whole process just to get it working again.
My specualtion is that some of the programs I run may be the cause of this because everytime I run and then close a certain programe (whether it be a game or software) i'm always left with 4gb.
but other than that, I have no clue.
I doubt that it's a problem with the cards itself because when I reinstall them I never place individual cards in the same slots as they were before, and it always works fine afterwards. Running programs is not ALWAYS the cause, only sometimes.

So yeah there you have it, any help and advice will, as always, be much apreciated!
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2010 5:01:40 PM

Hard to help if we dont know what parts you have in the PC.

My first guess is you have 1.65V RAM and the motherboard is defaulting to 1.5V. Not enough voltage = RAM stops working.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2010 5:06:15 PM

Specs:
Asus P6X58D-E Motherboard.
Ati Radeon HD 5870 1GB GPU.
Intel Core i7 950
Corsair 6GB 1600MHz Triple channel
Corsair TX 650w PSU

hope this helps
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2010 5:18:18 PM

Yep, check bios RAM voltage and timings. Its an extremely common problem with new motherboards and 1.65V RAM.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2010 5:32:30 PM

How do I check it? and how do I change it?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2010 7:29:04 PM

Its a setting in Bios. Do you know how to get into your systems Bios?

Once there You will have to hunt around once you get in bios since every manufacturer and model has slight differences in the menu layout. Its a menu system, usually with some help messages, so you should be able to figure it out.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2010 8:38:56 PM

Your mobo manual will explain w/ pics how to change RAM settings in BIOS.

After v and timings are correct, you'll also want to run MEMTEST for at least 8 passes.
!