Cold boot start, stop, start problem

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
P8p67 ws Revolution mobo
i5 2500k
8GB g.skill RAM

It seems that many people are having the same problem when powering on their system. The fans spin, then all stops, then the computer starts. Sometimes this cycle of starting and stopping repeats several times.

I just want to know if their is anyone with the P8P67 WS Revoltution board that is not having this issue? I don't know what the solution is and don't know getting a new board would solve it or not.

Thanks.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. I am using 2x F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL.

Turns out it was a bios issue. I just finished updating the bios and all is good. The cold boot start/stop problem is fixed and so is another problem waking from sleep mode.

If anyone else is having either of these issues and reading this, go for the bios update first.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
booted with one stick of RAM and same problem: fans start and mobo seems to be powering up, then all stops, then power comes on.

Anything else that I could try?

I am using an OCZ ZX 1000W PSU. Could it be the PSU?

First try one {matched} set at a time in the same colored slots.

In the BIOS lets set the RAM Manually:
BIOS

AI OC Tuner -> Auto
DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600 MHz
DRAM Timing 9-9-9-24 & 2 {CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS & CMD}
DRAM Voltage -> Auto ; failure 1.55v
VCCIO -> Auto ; failure 1.125v~1.20v

Save & Exit = Yes
Test

Next swap kits and retest.

Next add both sets and test

IF they're all failing AND you're using the Second DIMM slot right of the CPU then it's something else.

I've posted the following more times than I can count, but it isoltes problems quickly vs HOURS:

Q - What HSF?

Anytime I build the build is tested on a bench first, Tested & Benched, then installed in the Case. If you're not on water by the time you posted here {forum} to now all of this could have been done a several times over.

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
KK setting RAM manually, but I only have the option of DDR3-1648MHz for frequency next is 1922.

VCCIO is set to auto; not sure where to put the fail numbers in....

If I need to test another kit, I may have to RMA the ones that I have here :(

Edit:

The problem seems to not be consistent either; sometimes it happens once (on-off-on then boot, sometimes 3 times (on-off-on-off-on-off-on then boot), and sometimes it does happen at all.

Both the voltages are found in the same section as your DRAM Frequency; use the 'DDR3-1648MHz' the base clock varies 98MHz~101MHz all of the time.

Inconsistency is often a symptom of voltage. IF you updated to the latest BIOS then the Phase power defaults are all on which should also help.

Again, you could have a bad stick of RAM. Create a bootable CD/DVD of Memtest, use the ISO/zip file and burn the CD/DVD, boot off the CD/DVD and run the test for at least an hour and see if you get errors -> http://www.memtest.org/

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Having trouble posting, in case there is more than one update post.

Anyway, I ran MEMTEST for a little over and hour and it made almost two complete passes with no errors. Does this mean the RAM is good?

Where do I go from here? Any help is appreciated.

P.S. not sure it means anything, but I noticed that when I unplug my mouse and keyboard and plug them into different USB ports, I get a "loading drivers" message and the computer seems to go back to the start, stop, start again.

It would seem that 'something' on the USB is bad, try a completely different keyboard and mouse. Otherwise, boot with the keyboard disconnected.

Next, open the Device Manager and look for {! or ?} devices listed, also only use the drivers listed at the ASUS site and NEVER use the ones that shipped - 9/10 outdated and generally for a good reason.

Also, look at the Event Manager and in particular for Critical errors. See below.

In building, I prefer PS/2 that are known 'good'.

Event Manager:
Event_Manager.jpg

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I am getting 2 errors:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

and...

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Edit:

Found a third critical error which shows recurring from the build date:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Here are the fixes that should correct the stated problems, though the CIMV2 may require more investigation to solve. I assume you're running the latest SP - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/service-packs

1. 0x80041003 {I see this in Vista} - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394603(v=vs.85).aspx and http://forums.techarena.in/operating-systems/1167751.htm
2. authrootstl.cab -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2328240
3. Marvell 91xx Config ATA Device - right click, uninstall, reinstall from ASUS site and reboot. Next, verify both AHCI in the BIOS and Windows match-up. Start = 3 IDE, Start = 0 AHCI:
a. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
b. verify -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/AHCI_Start_0.jpg
c. if you're not using Marvell then IMO Disable in BIOS.

Let me know!

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Thanks for the advice and links. I have fixed all but one of the errors and I think that I will just leave that one alone for now.

I have more info on the start, stop, start problem: I reset the bios to default settings and the problem seemed to stop happening. Then I ran the automated OCing program and the problem came back again. I am not sure if it is a board defect or a software glitch or even a problem with OCing.

Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this? My main concern is that I may have a defective mobo and my 30 days are running out.

What is the 'one if the errors'?

Simple, uninstall EVERY OC App or BIOS invasive app installed on the PC. Count the results just in Tom's - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1GPEA_en___US371&biw=1400&bih=959&q=+site:tomshardware.com+BIOS+invasive+%2Bjaquith

The only value to ASUS AI Suite II and alike is the bling followed by the bang. OC a SB on P67/Z68 is too damn easy already.

The App's are defective, if the 'stock' settings run then your MOBO isn't bad, just the Apps and/or OC. A Clear CMOS sets the Defaults, but the Apps set them right back.

Isolate, all defaults, no BIOS OC Apps, and the following:
In the BIOS lets set the RAM Manually:
BIOS

AI OC Tuner -> Auto
VCCIO -> Auto ; failure 1.125v~1.20v ; may require AI OC Tuner -> Manual

Save & Exit = Yes
Test

If that works then the RAM, CPU, MOBO all are fine. Prime95, Prime95 blend, and Memtest 4-passes. When I build it begins on a bench, BIOS updates {good ones}, basic OS and everything is tested at defaults -> pass/bench then OC -> pass/bench THEN the build begins. Otherwise you're trying to solve a problem with a VERY long list of variables. You're especially crazy if you don't test before installing water blocks, etc. 5 minute or 5 days - pick one.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Reset the bios to defaults and enabled Hot Plugging for the SATA ports (1 eSATA and 2 SATA hot swap bays) and the problem goes away.

At this point, I really feel that 2 things are causing the problem:

1- the auto oc software

2- SATA ports not being set to hot plug

Does this seem reasonable?

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
You had asked about which error I hadn't resolved earlier, but I missed it. The error that I didn't "fix" was the 0x80041003 error. After reading that linked thread, it seems that the advice may only prevent the error from being recorded not actually fix it. I also read the last post where the guy's system crashed from trying to fix it. So I just left this one alone. I would like to know what is causing it, but it doesn't appear to be causing any noticeable problems for now.

OC software is uninstalled, as you recommended. But in the bios there is an option to change the profile of the system from energy efficiency to normal to high performance. I think that this is built into the bios and I don't know if it can be removed. I think that it changes bios settings automatically depending on which option is selected. Should I leave this at "normal" setting?

In the iaStorV the start did =3. Changed to start=0.

I have one more item in msahci between the Start and Type items. It reads:

Tag REG_DWORD 0x00000040 (64)

Don't know what this is.

Also, In setting the RAM manually, I cannot find where to enter the failure numbers for:

VCCIO -> Auto ; failure 1.125v~1.20v ; may require AI OC Tuner -> Manual

Also, I am getting another consistent error:

The server {E10F6C3A-F1AE-4ADC-AA9D-2FE65525666E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The first link was to the 'WMI Diagnosis Utility' to hopefully diagnose the problem. 'My' way of dealing with Widows errors unless I fix them 'quickly' is to format and re-install Windows from scratch.

Start = 3 is IDE drivers and Start = 0 is AHCI drivers. As far are the other values leave them alone, every registry will have some variance, and honestly 'Tag REG_DWORD 0x00000040 (64)' value to me is not known so IMO leave it alone. edit: Also since this can cause corruption see this image and on the primary drive select both options and schedule a disk repair. If you select both options on the secondary drive there's no harm AND if you schedule on both drives then it'll run the repair one after the other. Note: 1TB takes a l-o-n-g time to SFC. I run these routinely ever 3~4 months. See -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Scan-Drives-Windows-7.jpg

DRAM Voltage & VCCIO Voltage - refer to page 3-8 and 3-13 of your manual. ONLY change these values IF you are still having memory errors.

The 'DCOM' error, it can happen from a few things my feeling it's your GPU drivers, so uninstall them an see if the that error goes away. If it does then {ass-u-ming} you have the latest installed from nVidia's or AMD's site then download and install the {2ND to the NEWEST} drivers.

Q - Did you install ALL of the latest drivers from ASUS's website?
Q - What GPU?

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Yeah I installed the newest drivers for NIC, bios, chipset, USB, Audio and Video card.

I have a Power Color Radeon HD 6950 2MB right now and looking to Xfire soon.

I uninstalled the video driver and it seems that the error did not come up when I rebooted. I looked for the second to latest driver, but cannot find it on the AMD website. Only brings up the latest driver. I'll keep working on this one.

The Start, Stop, Start problem (as well as a related problem where the system cannot recover from sleep mode) is almost definitely related to OCing. I was setting manual values and ran into the exact same issues as using the automated software. Resetting to defaults always seems to fix the problems.

So, I should ask is there a setting that I am missing when manually OCing?

The options that I made sure were disabled:

Limit CPUID Maximum
Speedstep Technology
C1E
Spread Spectrum

The options that I made sure were enabled:

Internal PLL Overvoltage
Execute Disable Bit
Intel Virtualization Tech

Then, I just upped the multiplier. Nothing else.

Of all of these, I have found that others have disabled the Internal PLL Overvoltage to fix the Start, Stop, Start issue. Not sure what to do about this when OCing....

Parroting is a problem - even the same EXACT MOBO + CPU + HSF will render different voltages, temps, vCore, etc. Next your MOBO as I recall has Phase controls so I'll probably have you start from the DEFAULT BIOS set. I will only be able to give you ranges. Example Virtualization is not needed unless you are running your PC as a server of some sort, and worst I don't even know if your MOBO supports VT-d/Vt-x.

Q1 - What target OC on your i5-2500K are you 'trying' to obtain?
Q2 - What HSF? Hows it connected e.g. 4-pin / 3-pin fans, etc.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I was hoping to get to maybe 4.9 or 5.0.

I am using the Xigmatek Gaia sd1283 cooler and it has a 4-pin connector to the CPU Fan header on the mobo. But, I did recently buy an Aerocool X-vision fan controller that I plan on using. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999230

I also have a Coolermaster HAF X case with a total of 4 case fans.

I do run XP Mode so I need the virtualization enabled.

First 5.0GHz is a hit or miss just from the CPU alone; most i5-2500K won't OC to 5.0GHz. I would never use the XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 for 5.0GHz. Just because some 'guy' can get a CPU-z Validator screen capture doesn't mean their PC is stable by any stretch of the imagination - run Prime95 or Prime95 blend with that HSF I would imagine the PC in a refrigerator or in the Arctic tundra.

5.0GHz // Default Values + listed changes:
AI OC Tuner -> Manual

DRAM Voltage -> 1.55v {closets menu value}
VCCIO -> 1.125v {closets menu value}

CPU Ratio -> 50
Turbo Mode -> Disabled
Load Line Calibration -> Extreme
Phase Control -> Extreme

VRM {might need to be set manually; 350~400}

CPU Mode Sign -> +
CPU Offset Voltage -> 0.065 {0.025~0.085} ; depends on the CPU's behavior

CPU Spread Spectrum -> Disabled

Save & Exit = Yes

You MUST have a CPU core temp App - WATCH THE TEMPS!!!

Set the Gaia SD1283 FAN(S) on Highest 100% Fan Speeds!!!

1. Prime 95 as a "Stress Test"
link - http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

2. CPU-z for Settings Summary
link - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

3. CoreTemp 1.x
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Good Luck!