Incredibly long map load times UT2004

Last response: in Video Games
May 7, 2004 10:53:32 AM

Is anyone else experiencing incredibly long load times when loading a
map on UT2004? It seems like when I'm online and after downloading a
map, it takes at least 60 seconds for the map to load. Meanwhile, I'm
looking at my hard drive light and it is constantly on during the
load.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to work around that?
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 3:00:14 PM

On 7 May 2004 06:53:32 -0700, tommynospam@yahoo.com (tommy) wrote:

>Is anyone else experiencing incredibly long load times when loading a
>map on UT2004? It seems like when I'm online and after downloading a
>map, it takes at least 60 seconds for the map to load. Meanwhile, I'm
>looking at my hard drive light and it is constantly on during the
>load.
>
>Does anyone know why this is happening and how to work around that?

I'm sure this is already in the FAQ, but turn off that Cache Skins
setting if you already haven't. Even with a 2600+, sata drive, and
1GB of the good stuff, the first node is almost completed before my
computer would pop me into a level. Turned it off, I'm now waiting
for others to join :)

-s-
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 11:03:06 PM

I turned all the cache stuff to False. Although that lets me in to
the game quicker, i still can't play until it's finished loading.
When I'm finally in, several power nodes are already built so I can't
imagine everyone having this problem. Would I start looking at
computer performance issues next or is there something else I could
try?
May 10, 2004 12:40:47 AM

>tommynospam@yahoo.com (tommy) wrote in
>
>> Is anyone else experiencing incredibly long load times when loading a
>> map on UT2004? It seems like when I'm online and after downloading a
>> map, it takes at least 60 seconds for the map to load. Meanwhile, I'm
>> looking at my hard drive light and it is constantly on during the
>> load.
>>
>> Does anyone know why this is happening and how to work around that?
>
>In the UT2004.ini file, change all UsePrecaching=True to
>UsePrecaching=False and UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False.

There are a bunch of them. Hope this works!

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)

May 10, 2004 2:18:51 AM

I'm having the same problem.
It does not seem to make any difference if I log in to my dedicated server
on another machine, or play a single player game on my own machine.
By the time I finally get in, the match is half over.

"tommy" <tommynospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I turned all the cache stuff to False. Although that lets me in to
> the game quicker, i still can't play until it's finished loading.
> When I'm finally in, several power nodes are already built so I can't
> imagine everyone having this problem. Would I start looking at
> computer performance issues next or is there something else I could
> try?
May 10, 2004 8:41:20 PM

On Sun, 9 May 2004 22:18:51 -0400, "Spinner" <spinner@web.cor> wrote:

||I'm having the same problem.
||It does not seem to make any difference if I log in to my dedicated server
||on another machine, or play a single player game on my own machine.
||By the time I finally get in, the match is half over.

You and Tommy might want to consider getting more RAM then.
1 gig is getting pretty common with serious gamers.

Pluvious

||"tommy" <tommynospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
||> I turned all the cache stuff to False. Although that lets me in to
||> the game quicker, i still can't play until it's finished loading.
||> When I'm finally in, several power nodes are already built so I can't
||> imagine everyone having this problem. Would I start looking at
||> computer performance issues next or is there something else I could
||> try?
May 10, 2004 11:05:16 PM

hAiNeSy <jesusisevil@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94E387C70806jesusisevil@130.133.1.4>...
<snip>
> In the UT2004.ini file, change all UsePrecaching=True to
> UsePrecaching=False and UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False.

Thank you. Load time went from two minutes to 20-30 seconds.

Regards,
J.D. Spangler
May 11, 2004 2:51:27 AM

"Pluvious" <Pluvious@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 May 2004 22:18:51 -0400, "Spinner" <spinner@web.cor> wrote:
>
> ||I'm having the same problem.
> ||It does not seem to make any difference if I log in to my dedicated
server
> ||on another machine, or play a single player game on my own machine.
> ||By the time I finally get in, the match is half over.
>
> You and Tommy might want to consider getting more RAM then.
> 1 gig is getting pretty common with serious gamers.

I would, except I see no reason to go over the 2.5 I'm already using.

> Pluvious
>

> ||"tommy" <tommynospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

May 11, 2004 2:52:31 AM

"J.D. Spangler" <ayrsayle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hAiNeSy <jesusisevil@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
> > In the UT2004.ini file, change all UsePrecaching=True to
> > UsePrecaching=False and UsePrecache=True to UsePrecache=False.
>
> Thank you. Load time went from two minutes to 20-30 seconds.

Same here! That was the answer.
Thank you, thank you thank you!!!

> Regards,
> J.D. Spangler
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 4:15:54 PM

If someone in this thread is NOT having the long load time problem AND
when you enter the game, you are immediately playing without having to
wait for additional things to load, if you could post your system
specs to see what we might be missing, I, for one, would certainly
appreciate it.

I can only imagine a good ram drive would good in this instance.

Thanks, guys.
May 11, 2004 9:40:58 PM

On Mon, 10 May 2004 22:51:27 -0400, "Spinner" <spinner@web.cor> wrote:

||"Pluvious" <Pluvious@nowhere.com> wrote in message

||server
||> ||

||> You and Tommy might want to consider getting more RAM then.
||> 1 gig is getting pretty common with serious gamers.
||I would, except I see no reason to go over the 2.5 I'm already using.

Nice...

||> Pluvious

||> ||

May 12, 2004 12:34:03 AM

tommy wrote:

> If someone in this thread is NOT having the long load time problem AND
> when you enter the game, you are immediately playing without having to
> wait for additional things to load, if you could post your system
> specs to see what we might be missing, I, for one, would certainly
> appreciate it.

My current setup is a 1.5ghz Athlon with a GeForce2 card, but I've found
that map loading times are much lower with 2K4 than they were with 2K3.

What I've done differently this time is put the entire Maps folder on a
different hard disk, on my secondary IDE chain. Having both drives
operate in parallel when loading UT2K4 definitely improves performance.

You can add new search paths in the UT2004.ini file, under the section
labelled [Core.System], as so:

Paths=H:/UT2004Maps/*.ut2
May 12, 2004 2:32:05 AM

tommy wrote:
> If someone in this thread is NOT having the long load time problem AND
> when you enter the game, you are immediately playing without having to
> wait for additional things to load, if you could post your system
> specs to see what we might be missing, I, for one, would certainly
> appreciate it.
>
> I can only imagine a good ram drive would good in this instance.
>
> Thanks, guys.

MSI K7N2 Delta L mobo
512mb Crucial PC2700 memory
PowerColor ATi Radeon 9600xt
Maxtor 120mb HD with 8mb cache
1mb cable connection via cable modem
Comfy leather swivel chair
Fondue set
Fluffy toy
etc

I've noticed that I'm usually one of the first to start a new game, if
not *the* first. In Torlan for example, I've sometimes almost completed
the first node before another player arrives. I am often, but not quite
always, the first to the Manta. I'm also usually first to the first node
in RedPlanet.
HTH.
May 12, 2004 6:40:24 AM

tommy enlightened us with:
> I can only imagine a good ram drive would good in this instance.

In order to use that, you'd need about 6 GB of RAM...

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 11:34:57 AM

Damnit! I knew I should have kept that fondue set I threw away last year. :)

> Maxtor 120mb HD with 8mb cache

Is this SATA, SCSI, IDE, or an external drive connected to 300 baud serial port?
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 11:53:30 AM

Yes, you are right if someone where to load the entire game. But
since it appears that my excess load time is caused by my hard disk,
as indicated by my HD light when I load a level, I was thinking of
just putting the maps on the ram drive. More specifically, the
Onslaught maps and would just need to update the UT2004.ini path for
the maps.

With the Onslaught maps I have now, I would only need about 500 meg.
May 12, 2004 9:08:16 PM

tommy enlightened us with:
> I was thinking of just putting the maps on the ram drive.

It might help a bit, but be aware that the models, textures and sounds
also need to be loaded.

> With the Onslaught maps I have now, I would only need about 500 meg.

Give it a try and tell us how things work out!

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
May 12, 2004 10:20:29 PM

tommy wrote:
> Damnit! I knew I should have kept that fondue set I threw away last year. :)
>

>>Maxtor 120mb HD with 8mb cache
>

> Is this SATA, SCSI, IDE, or an external drive connected to 300 baud serial port?

Its a boring IDE drive I'm afraid.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 12:04:14 PM

Boring or not, that is actually good news! That tells me that an
expensive hardware upgrade isn't necessary since IDE is what I have.

So, Steve, who would I "have to kill" in order to get a copy of your
c:\ut2004\ut2004.ini and c:\ut2004\ut2004.log file after you've played
a round of Severence? Maybe comparing files would render some clues.

(if you wouldn't have any problem doing this, you can e-mail it to the
e-mail address associated with this post if you don't feel comfortable
posting it here)
May 13, 2004 1:05:09 PM

tommy enlightened us with:
> Well, the demo Ram disk program could only make me a 100Meg drive

Try it on Linux - you can have a ram disk any size you want.

> but I did copy the Severence map to it and change the paths in
> UT2004.ini file accordingly but to no avail. Still long load time.

Probably due to swapping, and loading of textures, etc.

> (actually, when I was copying the map file from disk to ram drive
> (actually 5 of them), it went almost instantly which told me that it
> probably wasn't the maps loading from disk.)

Weird.

> Unfortuneatly, i don't know what else it has to load in order to bring
> a level up for play. I thought that maybe a log file is generated so
> I saw a UT2004.log (included below) and started browsing around and
> found some interesting stuff. One line actually says that is took
> 69.691000 seconds to bring the level up for play. Even the system
> knows how long it took but it gave me no indication as to what it
> needs to load for the Severence map.

You can remove all textures to start with, and place back only the ones
it whines about when playing that map.

> One other thing of interest are the lines between the two "..." below.
> These two lines occured "a million times" when shutting down. Anyone
> know why?

I know what an Octree is, but I don't know what that has to do with the
ramdrive experiment...

> Bottom line, I don't know where to go from here.

Get Linux, install a ramdisk. Use 'cp -s' to copy the entire game onto
the harddisk as symbolic links - that way they won't take up space on
the ramdisk, but you can already run the game from the ramdisk
directory. Then remove some of the symlinks and replace them with actual
files.

Or send me a gig of DDR Ram and I'll try it myself ;-)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:05:10 PM

On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:05:09 +0200, MeltDown
<meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

>tommy enlightened us with:
>> Well, the demo Ram disk program could only make me a 100Meg drive
>
>Try it on Linux - you can have a ram disk any size you want.

I don't know what app the original poster is using, but I've made a
500mb ram disk for a windows box in the recent past. Don't recall
what tool I used (it wasn't windows-native) but it was freeware and
AFAIK had no size limitation. Will look for a bookmark when I get
home.

-s-
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 5:32:09 PM

# Spinner

> Same here! That was the answer.
> Thank you, thank you thank you!!!
>

>> Regards,
>> J.D. Spangler

Don't you find it glitches during play now though?

--
Toby
asktoby.com

> Don't you find it glitches during play now though?

That's what I experienced and it was actucally less acceptable than
the long load times so I switched it back.
May 13, 2004 11:48:44 PM

tommy wrote:
> Boring or not, that is actually good news! That tells me that an
> expensive hardware upgrade isn't necessary since IDE is what I have.
>
> So, Steve, who would I "have to kill" in order to get a copy of your
> c:\ut2004\ut2004.ini and c:\ut2004\ut2004.log file after you've played
> a round of Severence? Maybe comparing files would render some clues.
>
> (if you wouldn't have any problem doing this, you can e-mail it to the
> e-mail address associated with this post if you don't feel comfortable
> posting it here)

I can email them to you, but I don't know how they could help you.
What's the significance of sending them after a round of Severence?
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 11:48:45 PM

> What's the significance of sending them after a round of Severence?

Mostly this is for the UT2004.ini. I would like to see the steps it
took and how long everything took according to your system. Thanks.
May 14, 2004 4:03:20 AM

tommy wrote:
>>What's the significance of sending them after a round of Severence?
>

> Mostly this is for the UT2004.ini. I would like to see the steps it
> took and how long everything took according to your system. Thanks.

I've emailed you.
My log file tells me Severence took 25.3 secs to load.
May 18, 2004 10:14:53 PM

Steve wrote:
> tommy wrote:
>
>>> What's the significance of sending them after a round of Severence?
>>

>> Mostly this is for the UT2004.ini. I would like to see the steps it
>> took and how long everything took according to your system. Thanks.
>

> I've emailed you.
> My log file tells me Severence took 25.3 secs to load.

Hey, no need to thank me. It was no trouble.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 10:14:54 PM

I finally found the answer!

I'm sorry, Steve. You definitely deserve a thank you!

But yea, looks like yours loads fast and now so does mine! Here are
the three things I did to make it load in 10-15 seconds instead of 75
seconds:

1) Moved my game to a second hard drive on the other IDE controller
as master.

2) Installed another 1G of RAM to bring my total to 1.5G.

3) Forced my page swap file to 2M to force it to use RAM.

It now rocks.

The last thing I would do if I had the money, is a new 10,000 RPM SATA
drive because it still accesses a lot from the disk.

Hope this helps!
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 11:23:06 AM

# tommy

> 3) Forced my page swap file to 2M to force it to use RAM.

You have a two megabyte swapfile? How does that help?

--
Toby
asktoby.com

tommynospam@yahoo.com (tommy) wrote in message news:<4f0df91b.0405181652.b89b1b@posting.google.com>...
> I finally found the answer!
>
> I'm sorry, Steve. You definitely deserve a thank you!
>
> But yea, looks like yours loads fast and now so does mine! Here are
> the three things I did to make it load in 10-15 seconds instead of 75
> seconds:
>
> 1) Moved my game to a second hard drive on the other IDE controller
> as master.
>
> 2) Installed another 1G of RAM to bring my total to 1.5G.
>
> 3) Forced my page swap file to 2M to force it to use RAM.
>
> It now rocks.
>
> The last thing I would do if I had the money, is a new 10,000 RPM SATA
> drive because it still accesses a lot from the disk.

Glad you got it sorted.

Personally I installed it and it JustWorked (tm).

AMd XP2500
160Gb HDD 7,200Rpm 8mb Cache
1Gb PC3200

Oh. And this is with the cache *on*. I only recently put the extra
512Mb RAM in though. It was fine before that with the cache off. I'm
usually about 2nd or 3rd in.
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:35:38 PM

> If you're running XP or 2000, then you're better off leaving the
> Windows recommendations in place. Those OS's handle the swap file
> radically differently than 98 and they need "breathing room" to
> operate properly. Your swap file should be *at least* as large as
> your available memory. Yeah, common sense would tell you that the
> more memory you have, then less swap file you should need, but I'm
> just telling you the way an NT kernel OS uses it's swap file. To
> avoid *worse* performance due to resizing and fragmenting the swap
> file, just let Windows manage it (it actually does quite a good job)
> and then forget about it.

If you tell it to keep has much physical memory free has possible then
your going to use the virtual memory. With the experience I've had,
I'm more inclined to believe that that is how windows is coded.
Especially for gaming to get all memory needed you have to reduce the
page file. I know of only one game that overwrites windows memory
management and uses all the physical ram you have.(up to 1.5gb) Star
Wars Galaxies.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 3:39:57 AM

In article <Xns94E893F5A8496googleasktobycom@127.0.0.1>,
google@asktoby.com says...

># Spinner
>

>> Same here! That was the answer.
>> Thank you, thank you thank you!!!
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> J.D. Spangler
>>

>Don't you find it glitches during play now though?

During the first few seconds there are some pauses, but after that, no.
No glitches.

--
Regards,
J.D. Spangler