Indelible Desktop Icons

I have four desktop icons that will not die. The exact method of creation
escapes me, but I think it happened thus: As Administrator, Open Control
Panel, start TweakUI. In TweakUI, go to Desktop, select Printers/Faxes and
Start Menu, then Control Panel and click "Create as File." Fonts, Scheduled
Tasks and Administrative Tools may have also been created as files. Anyway,
the last four icons now appear on all user desktops and cannot be deleted.
Their properties are the same as the Control Panel *.cpl files'. They do not
appear in a command box "DIR" of any user. They did turn up in one Nethood
folder and could not be deleted there. The container wasn't deletable either.
The "Control Panel" file was deletable and both the check-box items went away
when unchecked. Norton Windoctor 2005 reports "no problems found." This seems
to be a cosmetic problem, but it's annoying. Any help appreciated.
7 answers Last reply
More about indelible desktop icons

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:15:05 -0700, Bob wrote:

    > As Administrator, Open Control
    > Panel, start TweakUI. In TweakUI, go to Desktop, select Printers/Faxes and
    > Start Menu, then Control Panel and click "Create as File.

    I can't follow these steps. Desktop, Start Menu and Control Panel are all
    separate in my TweakUI. And can't find a "create as file" command anywhere.
    What version of TweakUI do you have installed?

    Suggestion for removing those icons: Search the registry for "namespace"
    and see if it turns up those .CPL files in a desktop section.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    My version is 1.33.0.0 dated 18 June 2000. This is apparently my Win 98SE
    version which was installed in 2001. Could be something to do with it, eh? I
    added XP as a multiboot in Jan 2004, downloading the XP TweakUI, but in
    moving to a larger hard drive my XP installation got blown away and I have
    wound up transferring my 98 partition and doing a straight upgrade, hence the
    old TweakUI.

    I will try your suggestion and get back to you. Thanks.

    :B~)

    "Sharon F" wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:15:05 -0700, Bob wrote:
    >
    > > As Administrator, Open Control
    > > Panel, start TweakUI. In TweakUI, go to Desktop, select Printers/Faxes and
    > > Start Menu, then Control Panel and click "Create as File.
    >
    > I can't follow these steps. Desktop, Start Menu and Control Panel are all
    > separate in my TweakUI. And can't find a "create as file" command anywhere.
    > What version of TweakUI do you have installed?
    >
    > Suggestion for removing those icons: Search the registry for "namespace"
    > and see if it turns up those .CPL files in a desktop section.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thank you, Sharon! I found the keys and deleted them, the icons are gone and
    everything seems to work OK. Now I will go remove the old Power Toys and find
    the current TweakUI.

    Blessings on you!
    :B~)

    On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:36:01 -0700, Bob wrote:

    > Thank you, Sharon! I found the keys and deleted them, the icons are gone and
    > everything seems to work OK. Now I will go remove the old Power Toys and find
    > the current TweakUI.
    >
    > Blessings on you!

    You're welcome, and thank you for letting us know that you have this fixed.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Here's a link to a newer version of TweakUI

    Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

    Tweak UI
    This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not
    exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including
    mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.

    Version 2.10 requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Windows
    Server 2003.

    Tweak UI
    TweakUI.exe
    ===

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:4CC4C20D-992C-4218-922C-7C5C94E90706@microsoft.com,
    Bob <r_kluckhohn@operamail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > My version is 1.33.0.0 dated 18 June 2000. This is apparently my Win 98SE
    > version which was installed in 2001. Could be something to do with it,
    > eh? I added XP as a multiboot in Jan 2004, downloading the XP TweakUI,
    > but in moving to a larger hard drive my XP installation got blown away
    > and I have wound up transferring my 98 partition and doing a straight
    > upgrade, hence the old TweakUI.
    >
    > I will try your suggestion and get back to you. Thanks.
    >
    >> B~)
    >
    > "Sharon F" wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:15:05 -0700, Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>> As Administrator, Open Control
    >>> Panel, start TweakUI. In TweakUI, go to Desktop, select Printers/Faxes
    >>> and Start Menu, then Control Panel and click "Create as File.
    >>
    >> I can't follow these steps. Desktop, Start Menu and Control Panel are all
    >> separate in my TweakUI. And can't find a "create as file" command
    >> anywhere. What version of TweakUI do you have installed?
    >>
    >> Suggestion for removing those icons: Search the registry for "namespace"
    >> and see if it turns up those .CPL files in a desktop section.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Sharon F
    >> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Thanks, Wes. Actually was there earlier today and picked up a couple of the
    other items as well which I dimly recall installing on my earlier
    configuration. The Power Calculator is really neat and I like the filmstrip
    and slideshow add-ons too.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Here's a link to a newer version of TweakUI
    >
    > Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >
    > Tweak UI
    > This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not
    > exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including
    > mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.
    >
    > Version 2.10 requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Windows
    > Server 2003.
    >
    > Tweak UI
    > TweakUI.exe
    > ===
    >
    > Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    > http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:4CC4C20D-992C-4218-922C-7C5C94E90706@microsoft.com,
    > Bob <r_kluckhohn@operamail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > My version is 1.33.0.0 dated 18 June 2000. This is apparently my Win 98SE
    > > version which was installed in 2001. Could be something to do with it,
    > > eh? I added XP as a multiboot in Jan 2004, downloading the XP TweakUI,
    > > but in moving to a larger hard drive my XP installation got blown away
    > > and I have wound up transferring my 98 partition and doing a straight
    > > upgrade, hence the old TweakUI.
    > >
    > > I will try your suggestion and get back to you. Thanks.
    > >
    > >> B~)

    > >> I can't follow these steps. Desktop, Start Menu and Control Panel are all
    > >> separate in my TweakUI. And can't find a "create as file" command
    > >> anywhere. What version of TweakUI do you have installed?
    > >>
    > >> Suggestion for removing those icons: Search the registry for "namespace"
    > >> and see if it turns up those .CPL files in a desktop section.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Sharon F
    > >> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:26699C31-8D19-4E59-AC17-08EF3B6E6B6A@microsoft.com,
    Bob <r_kluckhohn@operamail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks, Wes. Actually was there earlier today and picked up a couple of
    > the other items as well which I dimly recall installing on my earlier
    > configuration. The Power Calculator is really neat and I like the
    > filmstrip and slideshow add-ons too.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Here's a link to a newer version of TweakUI
    >>
    >> Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >>
    >> Tweak UI
    >> This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not
    >> exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including
    >> mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.
    >>
    >> Version 2.10 requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Windows
    >> Server 2003.
    >>
    >> Tweak UI
    >> TweakUI.exe
    >> ===
    >>
    >> Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    >> http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:4CC4C20D-992C-4218-922C-7C5C94E90706@microsoft.com,
    >> Bob <r_kluckhohn@operamail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> My version is 1.33.0.0 dated 18 June 2000. This is apparently my Win
    >>> 98SE version which was installed in 2001. Could be something to do with
    >>> it, eh? I added XP as a multiboot in Jan 2004, downloading the XP
    >>> TweakUI, but in moving to a larger hard drive my XP installation got
    >>> blown away and I have wound up transferring my 98 partition and doing a
    >>> straight upgrade, hence the old TweakUI.
    >>>
    >>> I will try your suggestion and get back to you. Thanks.

Configuration Control Panel Desktop Icons Windows XP