  • Control Panel
  • Desktop Icons
  • Windows XP
August 16, 2005 6:15:05 PM

I have four desktop icons that will not die. The exact method of creation
escapes me, but I think it happened thus: As Administrator, Open Control
Panel, start TweakUI. In TweakUI, go to Desktop, select Printers/Faxes and
Start Menu, then Control Panel and click "Create as File." Fonts, Scheduled
Tasks and Administrative Tools may have also been created as files. Anyway,
the last four icons now appear on all user desktops and cannot be deleted.
Their properties are the same as the Control Panel *.cpl files'. They do not
appear in a command box "DIR" of any user. They did turn up in one Nethood
folder and could not be deleted there. The container wasn't deletable either.
The "Control Panel" file was deletable and both the check-box items went away
when unchecked. Norton Windoctor 2005 reports "no problems found." This seems
to be a cosmetic problem, but it's annoying. Any help appreciated.

More about : indelible desktop icons

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 12:43:31 AM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:15:05 -0700, Bob wrote:

> As Administrator, Open Control
> Panel, start TweakUI. In TweakUI, go to Desktop, select Printers/Faxes and
> Start Menu, then Control Panel and click "Create as File.

I can't follow these steps. Desktop, Start Menu and Control Panel are all
separate in my TweakUI. And can't find a "create as file" command anywhere.
What version of TweakUI do you have installed?

Suggestion for removing those icons: Search the registry for "namespace"
and see if it turns up those .CPL files in a desktop section.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

My version is 1.33.0.0 dated 18 June 2000. This is apparently my Win 98SE
version which was installed in 2001. Could be something to do with it, eh? I
added XP as a multiboot in Jan 2004, downloading the XP TweakUI, but in
moving to a larger hard drive my XP installation got blown away and I have
wound up transferring my 98 partition and doing a straight upgrade, hence the
old TweakUI.

I will try your suggestion and get back to you. Thanks.

:B~)

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:15:05 -0700, Bob wrote:
>
> > As Administrator, Open Control
> > Panel, start TweakUI. In TweakUI, go to Desktop, select Printers/Faxes and
> > Start Menu, then Control Panel and click "Create as File.
>
> I can't follow these steps. Desktop, Start Menu and Control Panel are all
> separate in my TweakUI. And can't find a "create as file" command anywhere.
> What version of TweakUI do you have installed?
>
> Suggestion for removing those icons: Search the registry for "namespace"
> and see if it turns up those .CPL files in a desktop section.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Related resources
August 17, 2005 1:36:01 AM

Thank you, Sharon! I found the keys and deleted them, the icons are gone and
everything seems to work OK. Now I will go remove the old Power Toys and find
the current TweakUI.

Blessings on you!
:B~)

"Sharon F" wrote:

> Suggestion for removing those icons: Search the registry for "namespace"
> and see if it turns up those .CPL files in a desktop section.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 5:06:46 PM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:36:01 -0700, Bob wrote:

> Thank you, Sharon! I found the keys and deleted them, the icons are gone and
> everything seems to work OK. Now I will go remove the old Power Toys and find
> the current TweakUI.
>
> Blessings on you!

You're welcome, and thank you for letting us know that you have this fixed.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Here's a link to a newer version of TweakUI

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...

Tweak UI
This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not
exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including
mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.

Version 2.10 requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Windows
Server 2003.

Tweak UI
TweakUI.exe
===

Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4CC4C20D-992C-4218-922C-7C5C94E90706@microsoft.com,
Bob <r_kluckhohn@operamail.com> hunted and pecked:
> My version is 1.33.0.0 dated 18 June 2000. This is apparently my Win 98SE
> version which was installed in 2001. Could be something to do with it,
> eh? I added XP as a multiboot in Jan 2004, downloading the XP TweakUI,
> but in moving to a larger hard drive my XP installation got blown away
> and I have wound up transferring my 98 partition and doing a straight
> upgrade, hence the old TweakUI.
>
> I will try your suggestion and get back to you. Thanks.
>
>> B~)
>
> "Sharon F" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:15:05 -0700, Bob wrote:
>>
>>> As Administrator, Open Control
>>> Panel, start TweakUI. In TweakUI, go to Desktop, select Printers/Faxes
>>> and Start Menu, then Control Panel and click "Create as File.
>>
>> I can't follow these steps. Desktop, Start Menu and Control Panel are all
>> separate in my TweakUI. And can't find a "create as file" command
>> anywhere. What version of TweakUI do you have installed?
>>
>> Suggestion for removing those icons: Search the registry for "namespace"
>> and see if it turns up those .CPL files in a desktop section.
>>
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
August 17, 2005 8:46:02 PM

Thanks, Wes. Actually was there earlier today and picked up a couple of the
other items as well which I dimly recall installing on my earlier
configuration. The Power Calculator is really neat and I like the filmstrip
and slideshow add-ons too.

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 10:20:41 PM

Keep having fun. :-)