Upgrade RAM question

Cywren

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Hey guys,

Just looking for a bit of sage wisdom on upgrading/installing more RAM on my current system. I built my rig about a year ago and the Tom's community was so much help so I figured no better place than here to re-inquire.

I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231321 when I built the machine and did have some issues with the clocking to get them to be stable with the AMD system. I actually had to get some comp. savvy friend to help since I was a bit nervous about messing with the BIOS. I'd like to add at least 2GB more, even 4GB if the price is friendly, but the problem is, I don't want to mess too much in the BIOS this time. I'd really like something "ready to go." for my system.

Any ideas? I've looked around but I feel more overwhelmed now than a year ago.

Tom's community is amazing and I really appreciate all the help! (Feel free to explain the reason why you suggest something so that I might learn a bit too!)

-Cy

chillin15

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
What mobo are you using? Most current mobos have dual channel ram slots and support up to 32gb of ram and since ram is cheap, adding 8gb won't cost more than 60 dollars.

In any case, link us to your mobo so we know what kind of ram your mobo supports.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Since most RAM's spec are based on dual kits alone, you most certainly need some tweaking if you want to add 2x2GB more. You might be lucky and have nothing to do at all, but I suggest you have your geek friend at hand; I suggest you lure him with food, always works for me :D.

You will see little benefit by going beyond 4GB of RAM.

Usually your RAM should be left at the stock speed. Your BIOS should be updated because new BIOS's have new configurations for RAM (to be stable).

If your system is stable leave it alone (still check for new BIOS).

Cywren

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631

^^ Mobo - I don't mind bribing a friend to help. I just like to learn and do most of the leg work myself. Or at least, have a few varying opinions to help educate myself.