XFX Radeon HD 4870 Overheating

I recently posted a thread where my old graphics card (the same one) was causing my screen to go blank constantly. I sent it in and according to XFX support it had a faulty fan so they sent me a brand new replacement one. Anyway, I just got it today and installed it and installed the new drivers and lo and behold 10 minutes in my computer shuts off. It continues to do this 3 more times before I rage and check my graphics card to find out its scorching hot. I dunno why it is overheating when my old card never overheated like this. Is it possible the replacement XFX sent me is also faulty? I listened to the card and at times the fan in it seems like its barely plugging along when I have barely used it.
6 answers Last reply
More about radeon 4870 overheating
  1. Check the fan speed/temps with different software, speedfan and such. Let us know the results.
  2. Well the GPU starts at 70 C and slowly climbs up. After loading up a game and putting it at optimal settings, as of now its at 93 C...
  3. Ok thats too high, what are the fan speeds? Can you turn them up?
  4. Well it eventually climbed up to 117 C before the computer shut down.
  5. Don't let it get that high again, like I said can you turn the fan speeds up? Or no. Is the case cleaned out? What case do you have?
  6. Well according to the ATI Catalyst Control Center my fan speeds were at 100%. And I can't even keep my computer on for more than 10 min before the GPU climbs up to 120 C or so and shuts the computer down. The case is cleaned out and this is the case I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137.

Like I said earlier, this graphics card is brand new and the same exact model as my previous one which never had overheating issues. The only problem I can think of is that I installed it incorrectly, but I don't think that is the case. I've reseated it numerous times and made sure the 2 6 pin cables to the PSU are connected correctly.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon Graphics Product