XFX Radeon HD 4870 Overheating

flipstorm

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
I recently posted a thread where my old graphics card (the same one) was causing my screen to go blank constantly. I sent it in and according to XFX support it had a faulty fan so they sent me a brand new replacement one. Anyway, I just got it today and installed it and installed the new drivers and lo and behold 10 minutes in my computer shuts off. It continues to do this 3 more times before I rage and check my graphics card to find out its scorching hot. I dunno why it is overheating when my old card never overheated like this. Is it possible the replacement XFX sent me is also faulty? I listened to the card and at times the fan in it seems like its barely plugging along when I have barely used it.

flipstorm

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Well according to the ATI Catalyst Control Center my fan speeds were at 100%. And I can't even keep my computer on for more than 10 min before the GPU climbs up to 120 C or so and shuts the computer down. The case is cleaned out and this is the case I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137.

Like I said earlier, this graphics card is brand new and the same exact model as my previous one which never had overheating issues. The only problem I can think of is that I installed it incorrectly, but I don't think that is the case. I've reseated it numerous times and made sure the 2 6 pin cables to the PSU are connected correctly.