Sign in with
Your question

AHCI or IDE?

Last response: in Storage
January 8, 2013 7:48:24 PM

HI folks! I have the SATA mode in the BIOS configured as IDE. I´m considering to change it to AHCI, but i have the OS (WIn 8) installed and i know that it may be incompatible, and for make it work i´ll have to do some changes to the registry. I have 2 Seagate HDD: 1 TB, and 320 GB. The question is : i´m gonna achieve some REAL improvement?. THanks!!!

More about : ahci ide

a b G Storage
January 8, 2013 7:50:50 PM

The settings for AHCI in Windows 8 are the same as in Windows 7. Here is a link that you can follow to get this working properly. Change the registry settings first then change the BIOS option.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676
m
l
January 8, 2013 7:52:49 PM

difference? nothing that you will feel or need. If it was a SSD, then the TRIM command need it.
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2013 12:21:04 PM

When i checked the registry, the value was already in 0, i changed it anyway, rebooted, changed the mode to ahci, and an error screen came out saying that Windows cannot be started. I rebooted a couple of times and nothing. In the third reboot Windows started to recover itself, i changed the mode back to IDE, recovered the OS, and it worked. Then i repeated all once again, obtaining the same result. What can i do? My os Windows 8 Pro. Thanks
m
l
January 9, 2013 12:25:28 PM

Just leave it this way. there is nothing wrong running them without AHCI. When you'll have to reinstall Windows, then switch it then.
m
l
January 9, 2013 2:03:37 PM

Is that the best that Windows OS can do? It sounds "crippled," to me.
m
l
January 9, 2013 4:38:46 PM

I did it!!! The problem was that storahci key has a sub key named StartOverride. I changed its value (3) to 0. Rebooted, changed the mode, and that´s it. Thanks all!!!
m
l
!