FutureProof Motherboard

krystianb10

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Although I can spend about $1000 on a nice i5 2500k sandy bridge setup, I dont think that the chipset will be used in the future as Intel changes their's often. (Correct me if im wrong) So I was thinking about just spending less money but getting something that I could upgrade in the future without changing out the motherboard. So I was thinking of just going AMD and getting like a 955 BE with a am3+ mobo because i heard that bulldozer will use the same socket. Is that true? Thanks and which motherboard is good if my budget was like 600-700??

Nothing to correct about Chipsets, both AMD and Intel change them every few months especially lately. Your i5-2500K will be outdated by 45%+ in 3 months, and ditto but less time, a matter of weeks, with any AMD CPU.

IMO - if you want AMD wait until September and Intel November but a $1000 gets you the bottom SB-E 4/4.

The Bulldozer is 'guaranteed' to work and it will work the best on AM3+, but some MOBO manufactures will 'Jerry-rig' BIOS on 'some' AM3 MOBO's. Personally, if I had it in my mind to get an AMD Bulldozer CPU then I'd only get one with AM3+ and AMD 990FX chipsets to allow both CF and SLI.