Connecting a wireless router to another

dave85

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Hi,

I have been thinking about connecting either a wireless Lynksys WRT54G2 or WRT160N router to my primary wireless 2WIRE 2701HG-T modem/router. However, I have no interest in connecting both of these wirelessly, it would be done through a 50ft long CAT5E cable. My question is, how do I go about this? would it be as simple as dissabling DHCP on my secondary router and giving it a static ip lan address so it don't overlap with the default gateway? I basically want to do this because my apartment is right next to my parents house, so I want to run a cable from there modem/router to the apartment, but still be able to have wifi. Basically it would be like a wireless access point but with ethernet ports to directly connect my PC.

sturm

Splendid
You don't have to turn off dhcp on the second router if you don't want to. You can run two networks and it will be fine. Now if you want to connect to computers in your parents house, having everything on one network makes things easier.

dave85

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks! also, I believe I would need to use a crossover to connect both devices since they are both layer 3 devices, is this right? or do you think they can auto configure their interfaces?

dave85

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
I have been trying this on packet tracer to see what works. I managed to make it work as a single LAN and also as two separate networks. I honestly don't care if I am part of the same network as my parents LAN. What I am concerned of is latency. Wouldn't making it a separate network slow down the process of accessing the internet because of the added routing in between? I know it would be minimal at most, but I'm still a bit concerned. Also, I know that making something work in packet tracer and in real life are two very different things, but it has helped me get an idea of what to do.