Calling Mac Users....

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 6, 2005 5:30:01 PM

There must be some in this ng.....

I'm interested in what you use to import and browse/organise photos for the
Mac. I have recently bought an iMac G5 as a family computer for my house,
and am finding that iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
suitable for serious use... The Mac though is a lovely piece of kit -
especially with the 20" widescreeen to edit photos and video on.

I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them into
a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all users of
that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their own directory
and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems trivial - but it
appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with the Mac. I have
disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default app tpo launch
when cameras or card readers are connected....

For editing, I have Photoshop CS already.

I also have trial versions of MediaView Pro and Graphic Converter installed.

Output goes either to the lab, or to an Epson Stylus colour Phot 925
connected to my XP machine in my office.

More about : calling mac users

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:30:02 PM

adm wrote:

> There must be some in this ng.....
>
> I'm interested in what you use to import and browse/organise photos for the
> Mac. I have recently bought an iMac G5 as a family computer for my house,
> and am finding that iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
> suitable for serious use... The Mac though is a lovely piece of kit -
> especially with the 20" widescreeen to edit photos and video on.
>
> I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them into
> a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all users of
> that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their own directory
> and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems trivial - but it
> appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with the Mac. I have
> disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default app tpo launch
> when cameras or card readers are connected....

You may want to ask the iPhoto question on a Mac group, but it can be done.

> For editing, I have Photoshop CS already.
>
> I also have trial versions of MediaView Pro and Graphic Converter installed.
>
> Output goes either to the lab, or to an Epson Stylus colour Phot 925
> connected to my XP machine in my office.
>

> Thanks for any information you can provide.

I'd use the file browser that's built in PS CS. You can append Meta
Data, rank and flag pictures, and a lot more. On the G-5 it'll move
right along, but on older macs it may be a bit slow.

Happy shooting and 'Shopping.

--
John McWilliams
January 6, 2005 5:30:02 PM

Don't know for sure as I'm the only user of my iPhoto, but if you turn
on sharing all users should be able to view the photos and still have
their own library intact. Open iPhoto, then Preferences, Sharing and
click look for shared photos and share my photos, entire library. Do
this for all users. As I said, can't promise this will work, depends on
how much access you want I guess.
January 6, 2005 5:30:02 PM

In article <kK2dnXF9zojz1kDcRVn-uQ@giganews.com>, "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> There must be some in this ng.....

I suspect there are more here than you might think.

> iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
> suitable for serious use...

I respectfully disagree.

I still use iPhoto and like it. Recently, however, I inquired in the

newsgroup for something better.

Subject: iPhoto Replacement (upgrade)

iViewMedia Pro was the general consensus.

As the OP suggested, you can turn on sharing in the iPhoto preferences so
others can view your collection.

Good luck!
:)
JR
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:30:02 PM

"adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> writes:

> I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them into
> a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all users of
> that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their own directory
> and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems trivial - but it
> appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with the Mac. I have
> disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default app tpo launch
> when cameras or card readers are connected....

I never "import" photos myself. I put a compact flash card in my reader or
a Kodak CD of scans in the tray and just drag the files into an
appropriately named folder. Then I just do whatever I need with them.

I didn't care for iPhoto myself, and I use iView Media Pro and Graphic
Converter, both of which I recommend as well worth the money. I write all
my digital images to CDs and keep all my iView catalogs on the fixed disk
so I can locate individual images on their CDs. This doesn't seem to be the
way you intend to work, but I'd suggest making archival copies of your
digital images in all events.

I suspect that what you want to do in iPhoto can be done -- check in
comp.sys.mac.apps
for help. I'm sure there are iPhoto users there who can tell you if you're
missing something.

January 6, 2005 6:31:28 PM

On 1/6/05 8:30 AM, in article kK2dnXF9zojz1kDcRVn-uQ@giganews.com, "adm"
<adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> There must be some in this ng.....
>
> I'm interested in what you use to import and browse/organise photos for the
> Mac. I have recently bought an iMac G5 as a family computer for my house,
> and am finding that iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
> suitable for serious use... The Mac though is a lovely piece of kit -
> especially with the 20" widescreeen to edit photos and video on.
>
> I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them into
> a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all users of
> that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their own directory
> and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems trivial - but it
> appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with the Mac. I have
> disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default app tpo launch
> when cameras or card readers are connected....
>
> For editing, I have Photoshop CS already.
>
> I also have trial versions of MediaView Pro and Graphic Converter installed.
>
> Output goes either to the lab, or to an Epson Stylus colour Phot 925
> connected to my XP machine in my office.
>

> Thanks for any information you can provide.

The only 'professional' iPhoto alternative that I know about is iView Media
Pro. I don't know if that is what you meant by MediaView Pro or not.
Regarding your iPhoto issue, have you tried posting to the Apple support
groups for a potential solution? I have received excellent answers to
several issues in those groups. There are a lot of advanced Mac users more
than willing to help. The Mac OS is built on top of Unix and if you don't
know it already Unix is big on 'permissions.' it may be possible to change
these permissions in iPhoto (I don't have that problem because basically I
am the only user of my Mac).
Chuck
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:11:30 PM

"C Wright" <wright9_nojunk@nojunk_mac.com> wrote in message
> On 1/6/05 8:30 AM, in article kK2dnXF9zojz1kDcRVn-uQ@giganews.com, "adm"
> <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> There must be some in this ng.....
>>
>> I'm interested in what you use to import and browse/organise photos for
>> the
>> Mac. I have recently bought an iMac G5 as a family computer for my house,
>> and am finding that iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
>> suitable for serious use... The Mac though is a lovely piece of kit -
>> especially with the 20" widescreeen to edit photos and video on.
>>
>> I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them
>> into
>> a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all users
>> of
>> that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their own
>> directory
>> and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems trivial - but it
>> appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with the Mac. I have
>> disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default app tpo launch
>> when cameras or card readers are connected....
>>
>> For editing, I have Photoshop CS already.
>>
>> I also have trial versions of MediaView Pro and Graphic Converter
>> installed.
>>
>> Output goes either to the lab, or to an Epson Stylus colour Phot 925
>> connected to my XP machine in my office.
>>

>> Thanks for any information you can provide.
>>

> The only 'professional' iPhoto alternative that I know about is iView
> Media
> Pro. I don't know if that is what you meant by MediaView Pro or not.

Yup - that's the one ! It looks great as well - but it's quite expensive....

> Regarding your iPhoto issue, have you tried posting to the Apple support
> groups for a potential solution? I have received excellent answers to
> several issues in those groups. There are a lot of advanced Mac users more
> than willing to help. The Mac OS is built on top of Unix and if you don't
> know it already Unix is big on 'permissions.' it may be possible to change
> these permissions in iPhoto (I don't have that problem because basically I
> am the only user of my Mac).

I've tried setting permissions - but it's a pain - I need to learn more Unix
basically.....

The iMac G5 is a GREAT machine for Photoshop - the 20" widescreen is just
lovely.

> Chuck

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:13:30 PM

"jpmcw" <"jpmcw"@comcast.net> wrote in message
> adm wrote:
>
>> There must be some in this ng.....
>>
>> I'm interested in what you use to import and browse/organise photos for
>> the Mac. I have recently bought an iMac G5 as a family computer for my
>> house, and am finding that iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and
>> certainly not suitable for serious use... The Mac though is a lovely
>> piece of kit - especially with the 20" widescreeen to edit photos and
>> video on.
>>
>> I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them
>> into a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all
>> users of that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their
>> own directory and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems
>> trivial - but it appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with
>> the Mac. I have disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default
>> app tpo launch when cameras or card readers are connected....
>
> You may want to ask the iPhoto question on a Mac group, but it can be
> done.

I'm trying that right now - but the responses so far haven't worked....

>> For editing, I have Photoshop CS already.
>>
>> I also have trial versions of MediaView Pro and Graphic Converter
>> installed.
>>
>> Output goes either to the lab, or to an Epson Stylus colour Phot 925
>> connected to my XP machine in my office.
>>

>> Thanks for any information you can provide.
>
> I'd use the file browser that's built in PS CS. You can append Meta Data,
> rank and flag pictures, and a lot more. On the G-5 it'll move right along,
> but on older macs it may be a bit slow.

I seem to be doing that anyway - but I need something less complex for the
rest of my family. iPhoto would have been fine - but then it can't browse
photos that aren't in an iPhoto library....

And I don't WANT all my stuff imported into iPhoto anyway !

> Happy shooting and 'Shopping.

Cheers

> --
> John McWilliams
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:14:43 PM

"snakeeyes" <michaelsphoto@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't know for sure as I'm the only user of my iPhoto, but if you turn
> on sharing all users should be able to view the photos and still have
> their own library intact. Open iPhoto, then Preferences, Sharing and
> click look for shared photos and share my photos, entire library. Do
> this for all users. As I said, can't promise this will work, depends on
> how much access you want I guess.

That works for photos that are in an iPhoto library. But the bulk of my
stuff is .NEF files on an XP machine in another room - and iPhoto can't work
with this !

Ah well - back to the Terminal then....
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:14:44 PM

"adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> writes:

> "snakeeyes" <michaelsphoto@gmail.com> wrote in message
>SNIP<
> > their own library intact. Open iPhoto, then Preferences, Sharing and
> > click look for shared photos and share my photos, entire library. Do
> > this for all users. As I said, can't promise this will work, depends on
> > how much access you want I guess.
>
> That works for photos that are in an iPhoto library. But the bulk of my
> stuff is .NEF files on an XP machine in another room - and iPhoto can't work
> with this !

I am confused on this issue. You seem to expect a program on one computer
to be able to access images on another. Are the iMac and you Windows
computer on a network? Or is iPhoto unable to support .nef files?

I just dragged a folder of .nefs onto iView MediaPro, and it displayed the
thumbnails in rapid order. Double clicking a thumbnail caused a noticeable
pause, then the file opened in full. Scrolling the image takes awhile.
Whether this is an iView, OS, or hardware delay is beyond my ability to
say. I'm on a dual 1G G4 CPU Mac with 10.2.8; iView 2.6.something. Graphic
Converter will also open .nef files, but not when they're on an unconnected
computer in another room. :-> If the computers are networked, you certainly
can access them on your Mac. I have my Mac networked with a computer
running Win2K, and I transfer files whenever I wish.

January 6, 2005 10:43:04 PM

<adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I'm interested in what you use to import and browse/organise photos for the
> Mac. I have recently bought an iMac G5 as a family computer for my house,
> and am finding that iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
> suitable for serious use... The Mac though is a lovely piece of kit -
> especially with the 20" widescreeen to edit photos and video on.

iPhoto serves a purpose I guess. But not for serious work.

> I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them into
> a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all users of
> that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their own directory
> and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems trivial - but it
> appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with the Mac. I have
> disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default app tpo launch
> when cameras or card readers are connected....

I shoot RAW and bring into PhotoShop. My lab has special Java-based
software for ordering. Too much of a pain in the ass to do it myself
and I want big print and am picky about quality. I'll let someone else
do the printing.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 11:57:32 PM

"Phil Stripling" <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote in message
> "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them
>> into
>> a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all users
>> of
>> that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their own
>> directory
>> and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems trivial - but it
>> appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with the Mac. I have
>> disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default app tpo launch
>> when cameras or card readers are connected....
>
> I never "import" photos myself. I put a compact flash card in my reader or
> a Kodak CD of scans in the tray and just drag the files into an
> appropriately named folder. Then I just do whatever I need with them.

I do the same - CF or SD into card reader, although I like using Cam2PC (on
the PC of course...) to rename and save to whatever directories I want.
Maybe "import" isn't the right word....

> I didn't care for iPhoto myself, and I use iView Media Pro and Graphic
> Converter, both of which I recommend as well worth the money. I write all
> my digital images to CDs and keep all my iView catalogs on the fixed disk
> so I can locate individual images on their CDs. This doesn't seem to be
> the
> way you intend to work, but I'd suggest making archival copies of your
> digital images in all events.

Currently, I keep a lot of my images on hard disk (my current hobby project
is a 2TB RAID subsytem) - BUT I make multiple DVD backups of them too ! The
issue here is that I already have the library on a PC (100+GB) and just want
to be able to see and use those photos over the network from the Mac,
without having any particular user or application thinking it owns them. I
was hoping iPhoto would let my wife and kids do this easily, but apparently
not. It's not a big problem, but I just need to figure out an easy
"workflow" for them (i.e. plug in camera/card, photos d/l'ed to my specified
location, up pops contact sheet to review, then simple image enhancements
and off to print via the web or exported back to CF/SD for local photo
lab...

Disk space is cheap - but even so I need more and more to pull photos from
saved DVDs, so I am looking at iView to accomplish exactly that.

> I suspect that what you want to do in iPhoto can be done -- check in
> comp.sys.mac.apps
> for help. I'm sure there are iPhoto users there who can tell you if you're
> missing something.
>
> --
> Phil Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
> The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email from this URL
> http://www.cieux.com/ | http://www.civex.com/ is read daily.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 11:57:33 PM

"adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> writes:

I'm sorry to say it's like pulling teeth to get good information from you.

> Currently, I keep a lot of my images on hard disk (my current hobby project
> is a 2TB RAID subsytem) - BUT I make multiple DVD backups of them too ! The
> issue here is that I already have the library on a PC (100+GB) and just want
> to be able to see and use those photos over the network from the Mac,
> without having any particular user or application thinking it owns them.

Not a problem on the Mac. From the Finder, select Go, then Connect to
Server... . _If_ your XP computer is configured so that it shows up on the
Mac (I don't know how XP does that; see
http://www.atpm.com/network/
http://www.homepcnetwork.com/pcmacovrf.htm
http://www.miramar.com/Products/PC_MACLAN/win_nt2kxp.ht... (I use this)
for additional information.

Just connect to the PC. An icon for it will appear on the Mac's desktop --
any sign-in will need to be done, depending on what security settings you
have on the PC. Then double click on the PC's icon, and you're
connected. Drag files onto your app or use your app's open... dialogue to
access the files.

Note that extensions may cause the Mac to think certain apps own certain
file extensions. Double clicking .jpg files on my Mac makes Graphic
Converter open the file, but that's as I wish.

> was hoping iPhoto would let my wife and kids do this easily, but apparently
> not.

Working on a file over a network has its own problems. I don't recommend
it, but your mileage will vary. Copying the file to the Mac, doing things
to it, then writing it back? Is that what you envision? That's my
recommendation. Not opening the file on the PC from the Mac and doing
things to it. Too many slips twixt cup and lip over a network and different
OSes for my liking.

> It's not a big problem, but I just need to figure out an easy
> "workflow" for them (i.e. plug in camera/card, photos d/l'ed to my specified
> location, up pops contact sheet to review, then simple image enhancements
> and off to print via the web or exported back to CF/SD for local photo
> lab...

If you use iView, instead of contact sheets, the phrase they use is
catalog. Keeps the catalog on the Mac, and the files on the PC. I _believe_
iView will reference the 'originals' on the PC, while displaying thumbnails
it keeps in the catalog on the Mac. Very much faster than keeping the
catalogs on the PC. I use CDs, and it references the CD, so I get that one
and put it in the CD drive, and iView will then open the original. Double
clicking the original from the CD opens it in Graphic Converter, however;
this is as I think it should be. You may set it up as you prefer.

> Disk space is cheap - but even so I need more and more to pull photos from
> saved DVDs, so I am looking at iView to accomplish exactly that.

iView will catalog the files from whatever source. For example, I may have
two or three CDs from Burning Man 2004 (or whatever). Each CD has a
different name, and I'll put each CD into a catalog and tag each image with
that CD's name (batch operation). I save all the images I've put into that
catalog as Burning Man 2004. Then when I want an image from 2004, I open
that catalog, locate the particular image and click on it. iView says file
not found on [name of the CD]. That tells me the name of the CD that I need
to install to get to that image. Bob's your uncle.

January 7, 2005 12:04:36 AM

"Jim Redelfs" <jim.redelfs@redelfs.com> wrote in message
> In article <kK2dnXF9zojz1kDcRVn-uQ@giganews.com>, "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm>
> wrote:
>
>> There must be some in this ng.....
>
> I suspect there are more here than you might think.

I'm sure there are lots.

>> iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
>> suitable for serious use...
>
> I respectfully disagree.

Fair enough. It just doesn't seem to work for me. One big reason is that
most of my files are RAW.

> I still use iPhoto and like it. Recently, however, I inquired in the

> newsgroup for something better.

Me too ! Although in uk.comp.sys.mac

> Subject: iPhoto Replacement (upgrade)
>
> iViewMedia Pro was the general consensus.

I came up with that as well. I am currently evaluating it, but am of course
looking for other opinions as well.

> As the OP suggested, you can turn on sharing in the iPhoto preferences so
> others can view your collection.

Doesn't help with the RAW files though !

> Good luck!

Cheers!

> :)
> JR
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 1:01:08 AM

"adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> There must be some in this ng.....
>
> I'm interested in what you use to import and browse/organise photos for the
> Mac. I have recently bought an iMac G5 as a family computer for my house,
> and am finding that iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
> suitable for serious use... The Mac though is a lovely piece of kit -
> especially with the 20" widescreeen to edit photos and video on.
>
> I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them into
> a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all users of
> that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their own directory
> and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems trivial - but it
> appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with the Mac. I have
> disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default app tpo launch
> when cameras or card readers are connected....
>
> For editing, I have Photoshop CS already.
>
> I also have trial versions of MediaView Pro and Graphic Converter installed.
>
> Output goes either to the lab, or to an Epson Stylus colour Phot 925
> connected to my XP machine in my office.
>

> Thanks for any information you can provide.

Yes, iPhoto is unfortunately a toy. Not even a halfway good one.

Put the photos in /Users/Shared or create a directory that's readable by
whatever group your users are in. Organize your photos in Finder the
old fashioned way.

The rumored cheap Mac could make a great server. I'm currently using an
old Blue & White G3 as one. http://www.pixelmemory.us Some directories
have an HTML page or template showing thumbnails.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:28:55 PM

> "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
> I'm sorry to say it's like pulling teeth to get good information from you.
>
>> Currently, I keep a lot of my images on hard disk (my current hobby
>> project
>> is a 2TB RAID subsytem) - BUT I make multiple DVD backups of them too !
>> The
>> issue here is that I already have the library on a PC (100+GB) and just
>> want
>> to be able to see and use those photos over the network from the Mac,
>> without having any particular user or application thinking it owns them.
>
> Not a problem on the Mac. From the Finder, select Go, then Connect to
> Server... . _If_ your XP computer is configured so that it shows up on the
> Mac (I don't know how XP does that; see
> http://www.atpm.com/network/
> http://www.homepcnetwork.com/pcmacovrf.htm
> http://www.miramar.com/Products/PC_MACLAN/win_nt2kxp.ht... (I use this)
> for additional information.
>
> Just connect to the PC. An icon for it will appear on the Mac's desktop --
> any sign-in will need to be done, depending on what security settings you
> have on the PC. Then double click on the PC's icon, and you're
> connected. Drag files onto your app or use your app's open... dialogue to
> access the files.

Nononononononoo.......

The network is fine ! The computers all play happily together.

I'm just pissed off with limitations in iPhot, making it unusable for our
requirements. Still - it came free with the Mac, so no loss.

> Note that extensions may cause the Mac to think certain apps own certain
> file extensions. Double clicking .jpg files on my Mac makes Graphic
> Converter open the file, but that's as I wish.

>> was hoping iPhoto would let my wife and kids do this easily, but
>> apparently
>> not.
>
> Working on a file over a network has its own problems. I don't recommend
> it, but your mileage will vary. Copying the file to the Mac, doing things
> to it, then writing it back? Is that what you envision? That's my
> recommendation. Not opening the file on the PC from the Mac and doing
> things to it. Too many slips twixt cup and lip over a network and
> different
> OSes for my liking.

Absolutely. If I want to work on something, I just grab it from the
networked PC (save locally), work on it and then save it back to a different
networked location (i.e. from "Photo Inbox" - process - send to either "For
Archive" and/or "For Print" directories)

>> It's not a big problem, but I just need to figure out an easy
>> "workflow" for them (i.e. plug in camera/card, photos d/l'ed to my
>> specified
>> location, up pops contact sheet to review, then simple image enhancements
>> and off to print via the web or exported back to CF/SD for local photo
>> lab...
>
> If you use iView, instead of contact sheets, the phrase they use is
> catalog. Keeps the catalog on the Mac, and the files on the PC. I
> _believe_
> iView will reference the 'originals' on the PC, while displaying
> thumbnails
> it keeps in the catalog on the Mac. Very much faster than keeping the
> catalogs on the PC. I use CDs, and it references the CD, so I get that one
> and put it in the CD drive, and iView will then open the original. Double
> clicking the original from the CD opens it in Graphic Converter, however;
> this is as I think it should be. You may set it up as you prefer.
>

>> Disk space is cheap - but even so I need more and more to pull photos
>> from
>> saved DVDs, so I am looking at iView to accomplish exactly that.
>
> iView will catalog the files from whatever source. For example, I may have
> two or three CDs from Burning Man 2004 (or whatever). Each CD has a
> different name, and I'll put each CD into a catalog and tag each image
> with
> that CD's name (batch operation). I save all the images I've put into that
> catalog as Burning Man 2004. Then when I want an image from 2004, I open
> that catalog, locate the particular image and click on it. iView says file
> not found on [name of the CD]. That tells me the name of the CD that I
> need
> to install to get to that image. Bob's your uncle.

Yup - that's exactly why I'm trying to get to grips with iView MediaPro
right now. I was just trying to find out whether there was nything else that
should be considered for the task, being a Mac newbie and all.....

> --
> Phil Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
> The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email from this URL
> http://www.cieux.com/ | http://www.civex.com/ is read daily.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:28:56 PM

> right now. I was just trying to find out whether there was nything else
> that should be considered for the task, being a Mac newbie and all

There are several programs that will catalog. See
http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/cat/graphics
for several pages of links (be sure to scroll down past the paid ad listed
as "Featured" products. I'd suggest also enquiring in
comp.sys.mac.apps
with a good, descriptive subject line and a good description of your set up
and what you want to do. You'll get some appraisals of many of the programs
listed in Version Tracker if you ask about some of them that appear to meet
your needs.

January 7, 2005 2:31:13 PM

"Kevin McMurtrie" <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> In article <kK2dnXF9zojz1kDcRVn-uQ@giganews.com>,
> "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> There must be some in this ng.....
>>
>> I'm interested in what you use to import and browse/organise photos for
>> the
>> Mac. I have recently bought an iMac G5 as a family computer for my house,
>> and am finding that iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
>> suitable for serious use... The Mac though is a lovely piece of kit -
>> especially with the 20" widescreeen to edit photos and video on.
>>
>> I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them
>> into
>> a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all users
>> of
>> that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their own
>> directory
>> and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems trivial - but it
>> appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with the Mac. I have
>> disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default app tpo launch
>> when cameras or card readers are connected....
>>
>> For editing, I have Photoshop CS already.
>>
>> I also have trial versions of MediaView Pro and Graphic Converter
>> installed.
>>
>> Output goes either to the lab, or to an Epson Stylus colour Phot 925
>> connected to my XP machine in my office.
>>

>> Thanks for any information you can provide.
>
> Yes, iPhoto is unfortunately a toy. Not even a halfway good one.
>
> Put the photos in /Users/Shared or create a directory that's readable by
> whatever group your users are in. Organize your photos in Finder the
> old fashioned way.
>
> The rumored cheap Mac could make a great server. I'm currently using an
> old Blue & White G3 as one. http://www.pixelmemory.us Some directories
> have an HTML page or template showing thumbnails.

How about the new dual XServe G5 ? Plus a few of the RAID units as well ?

Mmmmmmm......
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:49:44 PM

Coming late to this thread, but iPhoto Library Manager lets wou creat
multiple iPhoto libraries and easily switch between them. This gives
you two layers of directories; libraries and albums.

Sharing is a matter if getting the Unix permissions correct.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:49:45 PM

Steve Cutchen <maxfaq@earthlink.net> writes:

> Sharing is a matter if getting the Unix permissions correct.

I'm not sure it's that difficult on the Mac. Click the directory, er folder
once to select it but not open it. Type command-i or select Get
Info... from the Finder's File menu. Up pops a window with that directory's
name at the top. Down near the bottom is Ownership & Permissions: with a
triangle. Click the triangle. There may be a little button on the right
with a padlock icon; if the padlock is locked, click it so that the haft is
open. Enter your admin username and password. Then you can set permissions
for the owner, group, and others. Set it to your desire, click the button
near the bottom that says "Apply to enclosed items..." and confirm.

For those seeking arcana, Apple as a heavy page on ownership and
permissions at
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Concept...

See also
http://www.apple.com.au/support/macosxserver/windowsser...
for Windows services vis-a-vis OS X 10.3.
January 7, 2005 6:25:08 PM

On 1/7/05 12:01 AM, in article
mcmurtri-3588A9.22010806012005@corp-radius.supernews.com, "Kevin McMurtrie"
<mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> Yes, iPhoto is unfortunately a toy. Not even a halfway good one.
>
> Put the photos in /Users/Shared or create a directory that's readable by
> whatever group your users are in. Organize your photos in Finder the
> old fashioned way.
>
> The rumored cheap Mac could make a great server. I'm currently using an
> old Blue & White G3 as one. http://www.pixelmemory.us Some directories
> have an HTML page or template showing thumbnails.

All good advice. However, one major problem with organizing the old
fashioned way using Finder is that you can't see your raw images.
Chuck
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:58:44 AM

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> "Kevin McMurtrie" <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
>> In article <kK2dnXF9zojz1kDcRVn-uQ@giganews.com>,
>> "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>>> There must be some in this ng.....
>>>
>>> I'm interested in what you use to import and browse/organise photos for
>>> the
>>> Mac. I have recently bought an iMac G5 as a family computer for my house,
>>> and am finding that iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
>>> suitable for serious use... The Mac though is a lovely piece of kit -
>>> especially with the 20" widescreeen to edit photos and video on.
>>>
>>> I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them
>>> into
>>> a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all users
>>> of
>>> that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their own
>>> directory
>>> and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems trivial - but it
>>> appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with the Mac. I have
>>> disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default app tpo launch
>>> when cameras or card readers are connected....
>>>
>>> For editing, I have Photoshop CS already.
>>>
>>> I also have trial versions of MediaView Pro and Graphic Converter
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> Output goes either to the lab, or to an Epson Stylus colour Phot 925
>>> connected to my XP machine in my office.
>>>

>>> Thanks for any information you can provide.
>>
>> Yes, iPhoto is unfortunately a toy. Not even a halfway good one.
>>
>> Put the photos in /Users/Shared or create a directory that's readable by
>> whatever group your users are in. Organize your photos in Finder the
>> old fashioned way.
>>
>> The rumored cheap Mac could make a great server. I'm currently using an
>> old Blue & White G3 as one. http://www.pixelmemory.us Some directories
>> have an HTML page or template showing thumbnails.
>
> How about the new dual XServe G5 ? Plus a few of the RAID units as well ?
>
> Mmmmmmm......

Well, iPhoto which is the 'free' version is basically a toy. I use it to
organise a desktop slideshow for my Mac but that's all. Unless you upgrade
to iLife (if you have a mac that is) you can get more out of it.

The best 'freeware' to come from Apple is iTunes - a truly great program
which blows the Windows Media Player away. If you like music, this is what
freeware is all about.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 8:42:28 AM

Dude-

Just use:

/Users/Shared/

Done!

-Steve

<adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> There must be some in this ng.....
>
> I'm interested in what you use to import and browse/organise photos for the
> Mac. I have recently bought an iMac G5 as a family computer for my house,
> and am finding that iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
> suitable for serious use... The Mac though is a lovely piece of kit -
> especially with the 20" widescreeen to edit photos and video on.
>
> I need to import images from a Nikon D70 and a Canon Ixus 40, save them into
> a single Photo library (with subdirs) that can be accesssed by all users of
> that machine (iPhoto wants to put each users photos into their own directory
> and then ban anyone else from accessing it ). This seems trivial - but it
> appears you cannot do it with the tools that come with the Mac. I have
> disabled photoshop and set up ImageCapture as the default app tpo launch
> when cameras or card readers are connected....
>
> For editing, I have Photoshop CS already.
>
> I also have trial versions of MediaView Pro and Graphic Converter installed.
>
> Output goes either to the lab, or to an Epson Stylus colour Phot 925
> connected to my XP machine in my office.
>

> Thanks for any information you can provide.

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 7:11:55 AM

In article <e_6dnS4rTOJ4OkDcRVn-qg@giganews.com>,
"adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> "Jim Redelfs" <jim.redelfs@redelfs.com> wrote in message
> > In article <kK2dnXF9zojz1kDcRVn-uQ@giganews.com>, "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> There must be some in this ng.....
> >
> > I suspect there are more here than you might think.
>
> I'm sure there are lots.
> >
> >> iPhoto is nothing more than a toy and certainly not
> >> suitable for serious use...
> >
> > I respectfully disagree.
>
> Fair enough. It just doesn't seem to work for me. One big reason is that
> most of my files are RAW.

Apple just released iLife 05 which contains a new version of iPhoto that
supports both RAW importing and RAW editing. I saw a demo of it at
MacWorld San Francisco just today. I didn't have a chance to try it
myself but you might want to look into it.

--
-Ernie-

"There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

Have you done your backup today?
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 7:11:56 AM

In article
<eckleinspammenot-1DE657.20114714012005@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
Ernie Klein <eckleinspammenot@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Apple just released iLife 05 which contains a new version of iPhoto that
> supports both RAW importing and RAW editing.

Here is the list of known compatible cameras from the iPhoto page. I
will be purchasing this version of iLife, and trying it with my Oy
C-5050z, hopefully it will work. If not, I feel that the other
improvements to the software suite are worth the cost.
NB

Camera Compatibility

iPhoto supports digital cameras from a wide variety of manufacturers,
including Canon, Fujifilm, Hewlett Packard, Kodak, Konica Minolta,
Nikon, Olympus and Sony. Just plug them in over USB or FireWire. No
need to install drivers.

RAW files from these cameras are supported in iPhoto:

Canon
EOS-1D MARK II
1DS
EOS 20D
EOS 10D
EOS D60
EOS Digital Rebel
PowerShot Pro 1
PowerShot G5
PowerShot G6

Konica Minolta
DiMAGE A2

Nikon
D100
D2H
D70
Coolpix 8700

Olympus
C-8080 Wide Zoom

Sony
DSC-F828
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 4:31:47 PM

"Ernie Klein" <eckleinspammenot@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> Apple just released iLife 05 which contains a new version of iPhoto that
> supports both RAW importing and RAW editing. I saw a demo of it at
> MacWorld San Francisco just today. I didn't have a chance to try it
> myself but you might want to look into it.

I saw that :-)

I'll have to order the iLife upgrade anyway for the rest of the stuff....
!