Your question

CPU Upgrade

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Call of Duty
  • Optiplex
Last response: in CPUs
December 26, 2010 8:49:06 PM

I want to put a core 2 dual cpu in my Optiplex 280, does anyone know if it will work. I want to run call of duty black opps that I got for christmas.
Please help

More about : cpu upgrade

a c 215 à CPUs
December 26, 2010 8:55:07 PM

Optiplex GX280? No, those are running pentium 4's, they wouldnt have BIOS support for the C2Ds, especially not the newer 45nm ones.
m
l
December 26, 2010 9:47:02 PM

Upgrade it with this motherboard: It will run call of duty @ 125FPS!

m
l
Related resources
a c 131 à CPUs
December 26, 2010 11:15:15 PM

amk09 said:
Sweet jesus, what is that thing?

I see 3 clocks, two interface plugs, a lot of microchips. It looks like a board designed from the ground up to control something VERY specific.
radium69, if you don't have anything helpful to post, don't post.

I want to put a core 2 dual cpu in my Optiplex 280, does anyone know if it will work. I want to run call of duty black opps that I got for christmas.
Please help

No you cannot. Even if you could, it would make no difference unless you had a modern video card.

You computer does support PCI-e video cards but the current CPU will not allow you to use them to any potential. Not only this, but the power supply would be insufficient for any upgrade. Even if it was, I wouldn't trust pushing it to it's specs:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx280/e...

If you have the money for a core 2 duo, my recommendation is to wait longer then upgrade to a ~$400 new system.

Questions:
-How much do you have to spend?
-What is your current video card?
m
l
January 5, 2011 2:10:38 AM

As sturdy as GX280s are (I run my shop on a 280 with a 3.6ghz CPU and it has no signs of quitting anytime soon), an upgrade to a new system is going to be your best bang for the buck. Dropping a motherboard in there would be pain as well but not impossible.

Quote:
the optiplex GX280 is one of the first LGA775 sockets and it's limit is the Intel P4HT 3.8GHz cpu and that is rare.

the unit does have the 285 or 300-watt Dell power supply unless you changed it out
it also has a pci-e x16 slot and can run 4GB(4x1GB) of DDR2 800MHz RAM
and is the first optiplex unit to run SATA and not IDE

Not that it helps anyone, but the Optiplex 270 had 2 SATA ports on the motherboard.

m
l
!