funkyguy4000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Hey, so I have this old dell case. I'm putting a new motherboard in it and everything fits and all is great!
When I hook up the power button on the front of the case, I notice that the connector for the power button is included with the LEDs in a COM1 connector type, Like a serial port on the motherboard. So the motherboard I bought, the new one, has those slots but not for this purpose. It has the connectors in a seperate way, like the PowerSW connector, just the 2 wires in one connector

The com1 is in the picture here, its the one on the left, although it doesn't have a ribbon, it has individual wires that can be taken out of it.
0000006515_1.jpg

And the connector on the motherboard need the wires that are in that com1 configuration need them to be in this format
F_light.jpg

If that got confusing, heres the main thing.

I have the powersw and the LEDs in the configuration of the com1 connector like in the first picture and the motherboard needs them in the second picture. How do I do it?

My motherboard does have a Com1 slot but it didn't work so yea.

Update: So i took the two wires out of the connector and connected them to the motherboard so it turns on and such, but I still would like to know if there is a way of telling which is the ground and which is the power. im guessing at this point.

In your picture

F_light.jpg

All of the white colored wires are the negative/chassis ground connection. This is usually the color coding used for case/chassis wiring for switches and LED indicator lights.

For power supply unit wiring the black colored wires are the chassis ground wires. Yellow is +12V, red is +5V, orange is +3.3V, etc.