Sign in with
Your question

Suggestion for a sound card.

Last response: in Components
December 26, 2010 9:29:34 PM

I really didn't find anywhere else more convenient to ask for this help so came here to ask.
I am a bit confused with what i should be buying since i never thought sound cards to be a big factor, the built-in card made do till now. But now i'm considering of getting a sound card for a few needs.

I basically use my computer for gaming + listening to music, mostly. But recently I have taken interest in Audio Mixing/Mastering. A bit semi-intermediate audio work you might say. I help my friend's productions. I normally have to mix his vocals/instruments, which requires multi-track usage. With the built-in card i've been working for a while but i had to face a few problems which some professionals i know said was because of the sound card. Problems were that if I had too many tracks in the multi-track session the audio would just break up and go haphazard which meant that to finish the task i had to cut up the whole session into different sessions and then finish it. This tends to not give good quality as you may figure. And this also happened if there were too many VSTs working at the same time even with 4-5 tracks. I figured these can't be a processor/RAM related issue because all I use is Adobe Audition and its internal effects and just 1 outside VST. And Adobe Audition has been around for a quite some time and people used it before without any problems then.

I looked through the internet and saw that M-Audio gives the best music production sound card[been advised to get that] but isn't that great for gaming. So unless its a last option I'd prefer something else, since i just need multi-track to work properly without sounds going crazy and I don't record anything on my computer so M-Audio cards seem useless[with all the MIDI ports and such]. So, I was wondering if just any sound card will help me out of this or would getting something specific be better?

Thank you for the help.

More about : suggestion sound card

December 27, 2010 1:24:08 AM

I don't think you will find a best sound card for 'mixing' and gaming. Maybe you should think about getting a good pair of studio monitors, that might make a big difference in both your interests.
m
l
December 27, 2010 3:15:35 PM

klockwerk said:
I don't think you will find a best sound card for 'mixing' and gaming. Maybe you should think about getting a good pair of studio monitors, that might make a big difference in both your interests.

I'm not entirely certain since i haven't previously explored this area of my computer, but from what i see won't a studio monitor just give a really really high quality sound?? That is not what i need. I have no complain with the quality of the sound since right now its just normal underground works. My problem is with the sound card not able to take the pressure of multiple tracks together while mixing. I can present a sample for you to see the actual problem if you like too.

And i don't need the best sound card, i need something that'll solve that problem without screwing up the game sounds. As in, let me use Adobe Audition's Multi Track Session with 10+ tracks in it while not giving a God forsaken amount of lag AND play my games the way its meant to be.

Sorry if I couldn't make myself clear on the 1st post.
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2010 12:07:41 PM

Wooow those looks good. Especially the 1st and the last 1s. If theres no better suggestion guess i'll go with 1 of the Xonar and hope i helps me with my stuff. Thanks Dadiggle. :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
m
l
January 14, 2011 6:26:11 AM

Best answer selected by Korupt.
m
l
!